Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interaction Problem Involving the Soul and Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I don't.

Lots! The Norse god Wotan (after whom Wednesday is named) frequently wandered the earth causing all sorts of mischief.

So was Wotan in the minds of his believers. All gods have had their adherents. There's no verifiable evidence that any of them are true.
    Not even non-christians or archeologists think that Jesus was a myth. Only you nutcase new age atheists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Not even non-christians or archeologists think that Jesus was a myth. Only you nutcase new age atheists.
      The existence of a charismatic preacher is not doubted by most scholars (with some notable exceptions), but the miracle-working, bodily-resurrecting god/man is.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Many, I would say most, non-christians or archeologists believe that the Jesus as depicted in the bible is a myth, Sparko. The naive do believe it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Many, I would say most, non-christians or archeologists believe that the Jesus as depicted in the bible is a myth, Sparko. The naive do believe it though.
          Oh you mean the 95% of humanity?

Comment

Oh you mean the 95% of humanity?
            What 95% of humanity?
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

What 95% of humanity?
              That believes in God and Jesus.

Did you know even Hindus believed Jesus was divine and a miracle worker? As do Muslims and Christians. And even those who don't believe he was a miracle worker, believe he existed and convinced people he was a miracle worker. Only morons like you and JimL think he was a myth and never existed.

Comment

Did you know even Hindus believed Jesus was divine and a miracle worker? As do Muslims and Christians. And even those who don't believe he was a miracle worker, believe he existed and convinced people he was a miracle worker. Only morons like you and JimL think he was a myth and never existed.
                The argument is whether or not Jesus is believed by scholars to be god, not whether they believe in god, or believe Jesus to have existed, or performed miracles. I think we call that moving the goal posts when realizing you've lost the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The argument is whether or not Jesus is believed by scholars to be god, not whether they believe in god, or believe Jesus to have existed, or performed miracles. I think we call that moving the goal posts when realizing you've lost the game.
                  That is NOT what you said, JimL. You were talking about believing Jesus was a myth. Talking about moving the goal posts!

Originally posted by JimL
                  Other than atheists, most of the world's religions actually do believe Jesus existed and was as described in the bible. Muslims, Christians, Baha'i, Hindi. Buddhists.

Comment

That is NOT what you said, JimL. You were talking about believing Jesus was a myth. Talking about moving the goal posts!

Other than atheists, most of the world's religions actually do believe Jesus existed and was as described in the bible. Muslims, Christians, Baha'i, Hindi. Buddhists.
                    Sort of. Muslims think that Judas died in Jesus' place on the cross, and Jesus was just a prophet, not divine. Hindus and Buddhists believe in reincarnation, which is fundamentally incompatible with resurrection.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Believing that Jesus existed does not translate to the belief that the Biblical Jesus Christ of the gospels exists.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Only Christians believe that God and Jesus are one and the same.

Did you know even Hindus believed Jesus was divine and a miracle worker?
                        Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses, all of which are manifestations of one abstract supreme being.

As do Muslims and Christians. And even those who don't believe he was a miracle worker, believe he existed and convinced people he was a miracle worker.
                        Muslims do not believe that Jesus was divine or the son of God. He was a prophet.

Only morons like you and JimL think he was a myth and never existed.
                        I think the man Jesus probably existed, I’ve never said otherwise.

Comment

It is what I said. I was talking about Jesus the myth as portrayed in the bible, not Jesus the man who most likely existed and was crucified by the Romans at the behest of the Pharisees.

Duh! No they don't, if they did they would believe he was god, which they don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Sort of. Muslims think that Judas died in Jesus' place on the cross, and Jesus was just a prophet, not divine. Hindus and Buddhists believe in reincarnation, which is fundamentally incompatible with resurrection.
                            well yeah, but I was talking about believing what the bible says about Jesus. There are differences. But the muslims and hindus believe he did miracles.

Comment

well yeah, but I was talking about believing what the bible says about Jesus. There are differences. But the muslims and hindus believe he did miracles.
                              So was I. They believe SOME things the bible says about Jesus. So do pretty much all atheist scholars of the bible.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Only Christians believe that God and Jesus are one and the same.
                                yep. but we were discussing "what the bible said about Jesus" such as being the messiah and doing miracles.

Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses, all of which are manifestations of one abstract supreme being.
                                so? they also believe Jesus was one such incarnation and was divine and did miracles as described in the bible.

Muslims do not believe that Jesus was divine or the son of God. He was a prophet.
                                They believe more than that. They believe he was the Messiah. They also believe he did all the stuff described in the bible.

I think the man Jesus probably existed, I’ve never said otherwise.
                                I take that claim back then. I thought you had argued that Jesus was a myth and never existed.

Comment