Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interaction Problem Involving the Soul and Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Well it would be evidence if there was significant agreement among them. But I've read quite a few and they were all utterly different to each other. So as nice as it would be to believe they were true, I had to classify them as dreams instead. People dream regularly when asleep, and it's not generally viewed as evidence that that soul is leaving the body and going on a spiritual journey, it's simply the brain doing some stuff, and NDEs seem to be the same.
    a remarkable number are similar. but as I said, you dont have to agree with the evidence or think it is good evidence. but it is evidence, and there is no evidence that the mind does not survive death in some way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      a remarkable number are similar. but as I said, you dont have to agree with the evidence or think it is good evidence. but it is evidence, and there is no evidence that the mind does not survive death in some way.
      It is only anecdotal evidence, not verified by science other than the brain acting naturally in a particular way under specific circumstances...e.g. oxygen deprivation. There is no reason to assume that the human mind survives death any more than we assume that the minds of other sentient creatures survive death.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        It is only anecdotal evidence, not verified by science other than the brain acting naturally in a particular way under specific circumstances...e.g. oxygen deprivation. There is no reason to assume that the human mind survives death any more than we assume that the minds of other sentient creatures survive death.
        But we're not like other sentient creatures, we're special. Unlike other sentient creatures, we aren't our bodies, we live inside our bodies. Not sure what we do when we're without our bodies though, must bump into each other a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          But we're not like other sentient creatures, we're special. Unlike other sentient creatures, we aren't our bodies, we live inside our bodies. Not sure what we do when we're without our bodies though, must bump into each other a lot.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Again, there is still more evidence FOR life after death than not. You don't have to think it is good evidence or believe it. But there is NO positive evidence for no life after death. There can't be.

Comment

Again, there is still more evidence FOR life after death than not. You don't have to think it is good evidence or believe it. But there is NO positive evidence for no life after death. There can't be.
              There is no evidence in either case, and there won't be unless you die and find you're still alive. But even your religion denies that, you don't resurrect until Jesus returns on the clouds, right?

Comment

There is no evidence in either case, and there won't be unless you die and find you're still alive. But even your religion denies that, you don't resurrect until Jesus returns on the clouds, right?
                people die and are resuscitated. And they give accounts of being out of their body and still being alive during the time they were dead. So yes there is evidence of life after death. Not even counting the evidence in the bible where God tells men directly that there is life after death.

Comment

people die and are resuscitated. And they give accounts of being out of their body and still being alive during the time they were dead. So yes there is evidence of life after death. Not even counting the evidence in the bible where God tells men directly that there is life after death.
                  That's because they are not fully dead, their brain is still active for a short time after the heart stops and that is when they have their experience. They are not dead until the brain dies which is why they can be resuscitated after the heart stops. So no there is no evidence, other than biblical claims which science, does not accept as evidence and neither should you any more than you would accept the claims of Allah in the Koran to be evidence of Allah.

Comment

That's because they are not fully dead, their brain is still active for a short time after the heart stops and that is when they have their experience. They are not dead until the brain dies which is why they can be resuscitated after the heart stops. So no there is no evidence, other than biblical claims which science, does not accept as evidence and neither should you any more than you would accept the claims of Allah in the Koran to be evidence of Allah.
                    Still more evidence than you have for the mind not surviving death.

Comment

No it isn't, its no more evidence than my belief that there is no life after death. Neither claim is evidence. Simple claims are not actual evidence, anyone can claim anything.

Comment

No it isn't, its no more evidence than my belief that there is no life after death. Neither claim is evidence. Simple claims are not actual evidence, anyone can claim anything.
                        claims by witnesses are more than just "anyone can claim anything" Jim. It is evidence. Try watching a trial once or twice.

Comment

The reports by alleged victims of alien abductions is also more evidence than I have for the existence of aliens on our planet, but it remains no more than anecdotal evidence unsubstantiated by verifiable facts.

Comment

The reports by alleged victims of alien abductions is also more evidence than I have for the existence of aliens on our planet, but it remains no more than anecdotal evidence unsubstantiated by verifiable facts.
                            Again, nobody says you have to believe or accept the evidence. We are only talking about HAVING evidence. Even bad evidence is more than NO evidence, Tassman. So you claiming there is NO evidence for the mind surviving death is false. There is evidence. Evidence you don't like. That's your choice.

Comment

Again, nobody says you have to believe or accept the evidence. We are only talking about HAVING evidence. Even bad evidence is more than NO evidence, Tassman. So you claiming there is NO evidence for the mind surviving death is false. There is evidence. Evidence you don't like. That's your choice.
                              I am not claiming there is “NO evidence”, I’m claiming that the evidence you have is no more than anecdotal evidence unsubstantiated by verifiable facts.

Comment

I am not claiming there is “NO evidence”, I’m claiming that the evidence you have is no more than anecdotal evidence unsubstantiated by verifiable facts.
                                Well I AM claiming you have NO evidence for the mind not surviving death. So my "anecdotal" evidence trumps your "no evidence"

Comment