Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 461

Thread: ‘Alarming’ Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

  1. #371
    tWebber HMS_Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Thinking
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,028
    Amen (Given)
    49
    Amen (Received)
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.
    I've followed this thread since the beginning and no one anywhere has made the bogus argument you are claiming. You're a fine one to complain about the Trumpian big lie when you're the only one engaged in the practice.

  2. Amen JimL, shunyadragon, Tassman amen'd this post.
  3. #372
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,360
    Amen (Given)
    4653
    Amen (Received)
    20990
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    This is an outrageous misrepresentation. Nowhere have I argued that the only reason to believe in global warming is because the majority of scientists accept the evidence of global warming. The scientists present the evidence, to which I have repeatedly linked, and you have at no point argued why the evidence may be incorrect other than your fatuous, anti-science mantra: "scientists sometimes get it wrong". You know, like all the requisite scientific knowledge to get a man to the moon etc...or are you referring to Evolution?.

    STILL waiting for you to explain why you are so skeptical of global warming given that if true, as is probable, the consequences for the planet and our families will be disastrous? Why are you so unconcerned?
    I noticed your subtle addition of "the only reason" to the argument in order to try to wiggle out of your previous statements.

    I never said "only" - I was merely arguing against your repeated claims that the "consensus" was reason enough to believe in global warming. And as long as you keep trying to repeat the lie that you didn't make that argument or that you supplemented your argument with links to studies, I will continue to repeat your own words against you:


    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    So, what about the ninety-seven percent of climate scientists, who agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide, which have issued public statements endorsing this position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Whatever biases some scientists may have, for whatever reason, are irrelevant in the face of undoubted fact that Earth's climate is warming.

    “Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position”

  4. #373
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,360
    Amen (Given)
    4653
    Amen (Received)
    20990
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    I've followed this thread since the beginning and no one anywhere has made the bogus argument you are claiming. You're a fine one to complain about the Trumpian big lie when you're the only one engaged in the practice.
    see above.

  5. #374
    tWebber HMS_Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Thinking
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,028
    Amen (Given)
    49
    Amen (Received)
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    see above.
    I did. Still no one ever made the silly strawman argument you keep claiming. Why you keep repeating your lie is the real mystery.
    Moderated By: Littlejoe

    Accusations of lying must be substantiated in the post where the accusation is made (as Sparko did in the above post). This is made clear in our Campus Decorum.

    ***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.



    Lying

    We consider a lie to be a poster knowingly and willfully making a statement they know to be untrue. If you call someone a liar you need to substantiate it. In order to substantiate an accusation of lying, it must be shown that the poster in question is stating something they know to be untrue. Opinions or facts that are in dispute should never be referred to as lies. Someone's faith or beliefs should also never be referred to as lying. We will not allow repeated accusations of lying. We will moderate any tossing out the term "liar" - and similar charges - when it is used in place of a response or as a mere insult to denigrate the other person, as judged by the moderators. We will also not allow repeated posts calling someone a liar, accusing them of lying, or claiming their post is a lie. If you wish to challenge the truth of someone's statement, then do so ONLY ONCE in the thread, and substantiate your claim IN THE SAME POST. Further discussion of the matter will only be allowed in the Padded Room.

    Last edited by Littlejoe; 01-16-2019 at 02:52 PM.

  6. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.
  7. #375
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,970
    Amen (Given)
    2428
    Amen (Received)
    1740
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    I did. Still no one ever made the silly strawman argument you keep claiming. Why you keep repeating your lie is the real mystery.
    It's a fairly standard Evangelical attempt to discredit scientific methodology, as was the OP.

    As you note, I have never claimed that mere "consensus" was reason enough to believe in global warming...although it is a strong reinforcement of the available evidence.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  8. #376
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,536
    Amen (Given)
    606
    Amen (Received)
    1432
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I never said "only" - I was merely arguing against your repeated claims that the "consensus" was reason enough to believe in global warming. And as long as you keep trying to repeat the lie that you didn't make that argument or that you supplemented your argument with links to studies, I will continue to repeat your own words against you:
    Neither of those extracts say that the consensus is "reason enough to believe in global warming".
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

    mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

  9. #377
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,360
    Amen (Given)
    4653
    Amen (Received)
    20990
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    I did. Still no one ever made the silly strawman argument you keep claiming. Why you keep repeating your lie is the real mystery.
    I quoted him making that argument. Twice. I substantiated my claims, now substantiate your accusation of me being a liar.
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-15-2019 at 07:25 AM.

  10. #378
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,360
    Amen (Given)
    4653
    Amen (Received)
    20990
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Neither of those extracts say that the consensus is "reason enough to believe in global warming".
    It was the only reason he gave in each instance, so it is obvious he considered that to be "enough"

  11. #379
    tWebber HMS_Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Thinking
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,028
    Amen (Given)
    49
    Amen (Received)
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I quoted him making that argument. Twice. I substantiated my claims, now substantiate your accusation of me being a liar.
    No you didn't because he never made that argument. He merely pointed out that the evidence has convinced the large majority of the world's climatologists anthropogenic climate change is real and is a threat. That is NOT the same as saying the evidence is correct because the scientists accept it as you keep falsely claiming.

    I know you're not dumb enough to confuse the two idea so that leaves willful misrepresentation on your part. There, it's substantiated.

  12. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.
  13. #380
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,823
    Amen (Given)
    1462
    Amen (Received)
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.
    I do not believe that Tassman made this claim, but from my perspective it is a good reason to believe in Global Warming, but an exception would be if you are more qualified than the scientists,
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  14. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •