Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 461

Thread: ‘Alarming’ Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

  1. #361
    tWebber TheLurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Faith
    MYOB
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,269
    Amen (Given)
    83
    Amen (Received)
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Your argument is "Lookie at all the scientists who believe it is true! That means it must be true!"
    Whereas the correct argument is "lookie at all the scientists who have concluded it's true - why do you think you're smarter than all of them?"

  2. #362
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,246
    Amen (Given)
    4637
    Amen (Received)
    20959
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    Whereas the correct argument is "lookie at all the scientists who have concluded it's true - why do you think you're smarter than all of them?"
    No the correct argument is Look at the evidence that caused the scientists to believe it is true so you will believe it too. Them believing has nothing to do with causing it to be true or false. They could all be wrong. It has happened before.

  3. #363
    tWebber TheLurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Faith
    MYOB
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,269
    Amen (Given)
    83
    Amen (Received)
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No the correct argument is Look at the evidence that caused the scientists to believe it is true so you will believe it too. Them believing has nothing to do with causing it to be true or false. They could all be wrong. It has happened before.
    In a hypothetical world where people would look at all the evidence with an open mind, i'd agree. But we live in a real world where people have access to all the evidence, don't look at it, and loudly proclaim things that are simply false. Which is the world where my question is appropriate.

  4. #364
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,246
    Amen (Given)
    4637
    Amen (Received)
    20959
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    In a hypothetical world where people would look at all the evidence with an open mind, i'd agree. But we live in a real world where people have access to all the evidence, don't look at it, and loudly proclaim things that are simply false. Which is the world where my question is appropriate.
    I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.

  5. #365
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,789
    Amen (Given)
    1461
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No the correct argument is Look at the evidence that caused the scientists to believe it is true so you will believe it too. Them believing has nothing to do with causing it to be true or false. They could all be wrong. It has happened before.
    Fine,look at the objective verifiable evidence that the scientist use to present their conclusion, and demonstrate that the evidence is flawed,which you have failed to do.

    This thread is classic in misrepresenting the evidence for Global Warming. Science over time has demonstrating correcting errors and misinterpretation of all scientific disciplines research including those involved with Global Warming.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  6. #366
    tWebber TheLurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Faith
    MYOB
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,269
    Amen (Given)
    83
    Amen (Received)
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.
    Pretty sure that wasn't the original topic of the discussion, and people like me who are bored with the back and forth are free to take things in different directions.

  7. #367
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,941
    Amen (Given)
    2425
    Amen (Received)
    1738
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.
    That was never my position and the fact you need resort to such Trumpian-level distortion of the facts is indicative of your unsustainably weak argument.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  8. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
  9. #368
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,246
    Amen (Given)
    4637
    Amen (Received)
    20959
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    That was never my position and the fact you need resort to such Trumpian-level distortion of the facts is indicative of your unsustainably weak argument.
    The only one being Trumpian is you, who just keep repeating the same lie despite me actually posting quotes of you doing exactly what I said. How does it feel to be just like Trump?

  10. #369
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,789
    Amen (Given)
    1461
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No the correct argument is Look at the evidence that caused the scientists to believe it is true so you will believe it too. Them believing has nothing to do with causing it to be true or false. They could all be wrong. It has happened before.
    . . . happened before? You need to clarify this. What has happened before is the knowledge of science evolved and self corrected by peer review, new evidence and research.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  11. #370
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,941
    Amen (Given)
    2425
    Amen (Received)
    1738
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The only one being Trumpian is you, who just keep repeating the same lie despite me actually posting quotes of you doing exactly what I said. How does it feel to be just like Trump?
    This is an outrageous misrepresentation. Nowhere have I argued that the only reason to believe in global warming is because the majority of scientists accept the evidence of global warming. The scientists present the evidence, to which I have repeatedly linked, and you have at no point argued why the evidence may be incorrect other than your fatuous, anti-science mantra: "scientists sometimes get it wrong". You know, like all the requisite scientific knowledge to get a man to the moon etc...or are you referring to Evolution?.

    STILL waiting for you to explain why you are so skeptical of global warming given that if true, as is probable, the consequences for the planet and our families will be disastrous? Why are you so unconcerned?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •