Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘Alarming’ Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So a wildfire is evidence of global warming but a blizzard is just weather?
    “The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events”.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal what with Global temperature rises, Warming oceans, Shrinking ice sheets, Glacial retreat, Decreased snow cover, Sea level rise, Declining Arctic sea ice and an increasing number of Extreme events such as the record disastrous forest fires in California and Australia.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko
      Neither a wildfire nor a blizzard are evidence of global warming.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        But the still small voice.....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/world/climate-change-arctic-report-card-2018-wxc/index.html

Unparalleled warmth is changing the Arctic and affecting weather in US, Europe

(CNN)The Arctic is experiencing a multi-year stretch of unparalleled warmth "that is unlike any period on record," according to the 2018 Arctic Report Card, a peer-reviewed report released Tuesday morning from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an agency within the United States Department of Commerce.

The report states that human-caused climate change is transforming the Arctic, both physically through the reduction of sea ice, and biologically through reductions in wildlife populations and introduction of marine toxins and algae.

The report is yet another study from part of the US government indicating that climate change is real and having a profound impact, despite denials from the President and senior members of his Administration.

The year 2018 was the Arctic's second-warmest year on record behind 2016. The top five warmest years have all occurred since 2014.

The year 2018 was the Arctic's second-warmest year on record behind 2016. The top five warmest years have all occurred since 2014.

Temperatures in the Arctic are warming more than twice as fast as the overall planet's average temperature, with temperatures this year in the highest latitudes (above 60 degrees north) coming in 1.7 degrees Celsius (3.1 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1981-2010 average. These were the second warmest (behind 2016) air temperatures ever recorded during the Arctic year, which runs from October through September to avoid splitting the winter season.

The five years since 2014 have been warmer than any other years in the historical record, which goes back to 1900. Although Arctic temperatures have been subject to wild swings back and forth through the decades due to natural variability, they have been consistently warmer than average since 2000 and at or near record since 2014, the report states.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/world/climate-change-arctic-report-card-2018-wxc/index.html

Unparalleled warmth is changing the Arctic and affecting weather in US, Europe

(CNN)The Arctic is experiencing a multi-year stretch of unparalleled warmth "that is unlike any period on record," according to the 2018 Arctic Report Card, a peer-reviewed report released Tuesday morning from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an agency within the United States Department of Commerce.

The report states that human-caused climate change is transforming the Arctic, both physically through the reduction of sea ice, and biologically through reductions in wildlife populations and introduction of marine toxins and algae.

The report is yet another study from part of the US government indicating that climate change is real and having a profound impact, despite denials from the President and senior members of his Administration.

Temperatures in the Arctic are warming more than twice as fast as the overall planet's average temperature, with temperatures this year in the highest latitudes (above 60 degrees north) coming in 1.7 degrees Celsius (3.1 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1981-2010 average. These were the second warmest (behind 2016) air temperatures ever recorded during the Arctic year, which runs from October through September to avoid splitting the winter season.

The five years since 2014 have been warmer than any other years in the historical record, which goes back to 1900. Although Arctic temperatures have been subject to wild swings back and forth through the decades due to natural variability, they have been consistently warmer than average since 2000 and at or near record since 2014, the report states.

© Copyright Original Source

You apparently totally missed the reference.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              “The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events”.

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal what with Global temperature rises, Warming oceans, Shrinking ice sheets, Glacial retreat, Decreased snow cover, Sea level rise, Declining Arctic sea ice and an increasing number of Extreme events such as the record disastrous forest fires in California and Australia.

Comment

Is your name Tassman?

Comment

Is your name Tassman?
                  Of course not, but there are no rules that I cannot respond to post.

Frank

Comment

Of course not, but there are no rules that I cannot respond to post.
                    I was asking Tassman specifically because he was the one who made the statement I was questioning.

Comment

Why are you so anxious to deny global warming given the unequivocal evidence that it's occurring, especially when the consequences will be catastrophic for us all?

Again:

The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events”.

“He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Now, let's look at who it was correcting the error in the article. Was it "peer review"? Or was it a lone internet blogger who noticed a problem right off the bat?

Why didn't the "peer review" concept work?

Two words: Confirmation Bias

It's GOOD to have skeptics around to check your work.
                        In a passage in Ben Goldacre's collection of newspaper column essays, collected into the book, "I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That", he describes the real process of peer review as not being that cursory pre-publication check which normally bears the name, it occurs post-publication when your colleagues (including your friends) gleefully rip into it and tear it apart, pointing out all the methodological errors, the mistaken or inadequate assumptions, the mistaken (and alternative) interpretations and any limitations on the applicability of the conclusions which the researchers didn't spot and point out themselves. (And probably more types of error or inadequacy, I'm going by my recollection of the book.) So peers finding errors after publication is the real, the best peer review and shouldn't be overly concerning, it would be more worrying if that didn't happen.

It's GOOD to have skeptics around to check your work, and those skeptics should routinely be your fellow researchers in your field.

What I do find concerning is that it wasn't a colleague, friend or fellow researcher who gleefully ripped into it to expose the error. Plainly the (rather idealised and ideal) peer review system described by Goldacre fell down, the colleagues failed to look critically at their colleagues' work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Why are you so anxious to deny global warming given the unequivocal evidence that it's occurring, especially when the consequences will be catastrophic for us all?

Again:

The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events”.

Why are you unable to just answer my question: So a wildfire is evidence of global warming but a blizzard is just weather?

And by the way Antartica's ice has been GROWING over the last several decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                            In a passage in Ben Goldacre's collection of newspaper column essays, collected into the book, "I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That", he describes the real process of peer review as not being that cursory pre-publication check which normally bears the name, it occurs post-publication when your colleagues (including your friends) gleefully rip into it and tear it apart, pointing out all the methodological errors, the mistaken or inadequate assumptions, the mistaken (and alternative) interpretations and any limitations on the applicability of the conclusions which the researchers didn't spot and point out themselves. (And probably more types of error or inadequacy, I'm going by my recollection of the book.) So peers finding errors after publication is the real, the best peer review and shouldn't be overly concerning, it would be more worrying if that didn't happen.

It's GOOD to have skeptics around to check your work, and those skeptics should routinely be your fellow researchers in your field.

What I do find concerning is that it wasn't a colleague, friend or fellow researcher who gleefully ripped into it to expose the error. Plainly the (rather idealised and ideal) peer review system described by Goldacre fell down, the colleagues failed to look critically at their colleagues' work.
                            Yeah, that.

Comment

Yeah, that.
                              Yeah, so, High Priests of the order of the warming planet, set me straight.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Yeah, so, High Priests of the order of the warming planet, set me straight.
                                When you finally stop dodging the question of whether you still support NAMBLA and defend them at every turn.

And, again, I'm sorry I triggered you with the sarcasm.

Comment