Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘Alarming’ Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I never said "only" - I was merely arguing against your repeated claims that the "consensus" was reason enough to believe in global warming. And as long as you keep trying to repeat the lie that you didn't make that argument or that you supplemented your argument with links to studies, I will continue to repeat your own words against you:
    Neither of those extracts say that the consensus is "reason enough to believe in global warming".
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      I did. Still no one ever made the silly strawman argument you keep claiming. Why you keep repeating your lie is the real mystery.
      I quoted him making that argument. Twice. I substantiated my claims, now substantiate your accusation of me being a liar.
      Last edited by Sparko; 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Neither of those extracts say that the consensus is "reason enough to believe in global warming".
        It was the only reason he gave in each instance, so it is obvious he considered that to be "enough"

Comment

I quoted him making that argument. Twice. I substantiated my claims, now substantiate your accusation of me being a liar.
          No you didn't because he never made that argument. He merely pointed out that the evidence has convinced the large majority of the world's climatologists anthropogenic climate change is real and is a threat. That is NOT the same as saying the evidence is correct because the scientists accept it as you keep falsely claiming.

I know you're not dumb enough to confuse the two idea so that leaves willful misrepresentation on your part. There, it's substantiated.

Comment

I am living in the world where Tassman is arguing I should believe in Global Warming simply because "97% of climate scientists" do.
            I do not believe that Tassman made this claim, but from my perspective it is a good reason to believe in Global Warming, but an exception would be if you are more qualified than the scientists,
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Never have I said that scientific consensus is reason enough to believe in global warming on its own. It's the evidence that matters, not necessarily the consensus among scientists. But the fact that there is a large scientific consensus supporting global warming is good reason to take it very seriously. Your own inexplicable reluctance to accept the factual evidence merely reflects your own jaundiced view of science and scientific methodology.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

No you didn't because he never made that argument. He merely pointed out that the evidence has convinced the large majority of the world's climatologists anthropogenic climate change is real and is a threat. That is NOT the same as saying the evidence is correct because the scientists accept it as you keep falsely claiming.

I know you're not dumb enough to confuse the two idea so that leaves willful misrepresentation on your part. There, it's substantiated.
                No it is not. You may disagree with what I believe but that doesn't make what I said a lie. This isn't the first time Tassman has tried the same tactic. His argument to me expressing doubt as to AGW was that there is a consensus. Not saying anything about actual evidence. The clear implication is that I should believe in AGW because 97% of climate scientist do. Otherwise why mention it? If the evidence is good enough, who cares how many people believe it?

And I never claimed he said, "the evidence is correct because the scientists accept it" - I said he claimed I should accept AGW merely because most scientist do, without any mention of any actual evidence.

----
                Lying
                We consider a lie to be a poster knowingly and willfully making a statement they know to be untrue. If you call someone a liar you need to substantiate it. In order to substantiate an accusation of lying, it must be shown that the poster in question is stating something they know to be untrue. Opinions or facts that are in dispute should never be referred to as lies. Someone's faith or beliefs should also never be referred to as lying. We will not allow repeated accusations of lying. We will moderate any tossing out the term "liar" - and similar charges - when it is used in place of a response or as a mere insult to denigrate the other person, as judged by the moderators. We will also not allow repeated posts calling someone a liar, accusing them of lying, or claiming their post is a lie. If you wish to challenge the truth of someone's statement, then do so ONLY ONCE in the thread, and substantiate your claim IN THE SAME POST. Further discussion of the matter will only be allowed in the Padded Room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Never have I said that scientific consensus is reason enough to believe in global warming on its own. It's the evidence that matters, not necessarily the consensus among scientists. But the fact that there is a large scientific consensus supporting global warming is good reason to take it very seriously. Your own inexplicable reluctance to accept the factual evidence merely reflects your own jaundiced view of science and scientific methodology.
                  You said:

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  So, what about the ninety-seven percent of climate scientists, who agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide, which have issued public statements endorsing this position.
                  Whatever biases some scientists may have, for whatever reason, are irrelevant in the face of undoubted fact that Earth's climate is warming.

“Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position”
                  Clearly arguing that AGW is true because 97% of scientists believe it. The only evidence you supplied was not for climate change but for the fact that 97% of scientists agree.

Comment

You said:

Clearly arguing that AGW is true because 97% of scientists believe it. The only evidence you supplied was not for climate change but for the fact that 97% of scientists agree.
                    Never have I said that scientific consensus is reason enough to believe in global warming on its own. You have dishonestly cherry-picked my argument, which has been amply supported by links detailing the evidence of global warming, to pursue your own anti-science agenda. Beagle, Roy and shunya have been right to call you out on your seemingly deliberate misrepresentation of my argument.

I'm still waiting for you to justify your indifference to the highly probable facts of global warming when, if true, the consequences will be catastrophic for the planet. Why is this?
                    Last edited by Tassman; 01-16-2019, 11:01 PM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You said:

That's still not what was being argued. Since you claim you aren't lying we'll have to accept you're just too stupid to understand the difference between "the evidence is strong enough to convince 97% of scientists" and "the evidence is true because 97% of scientists agree"
                      Last edited by HMS_Beagle; 01-16-2019, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Meanwhile on the bad news side

2018 was Earth's fourth-warmest year, EU scientists find

The Copernicus Climate Service (C3S), an EU-funded program, has concluded that 2018 was Earth's 4th-warmest year on record — with the past 4 years serving as the hottest years the planet has seen since instrument records began in 1880 (and likely well before that).
                        and

Antarctica losing six times more ice mass annually now than 40 years ago

Antarctica experienced a sixfold increase in yearly ice mass loss between 1979 and 2017, according to a new study. Glaciologists additionally found that the accelerated melting caused global sea levels to rise more than half an inch during that time.
                        Still that scientifically illiterate moron in the WH and his idiotic mouth-breather fans think anthropogenic climate change is a Chinese hoax.

Comment

Meanwhile on the bad news side

and

Still that scientifically illiterate moron in the WH and his idiotic mouth-breather fans think anthropogenic climate change is a Chinese hoax.
                          IMHO they want it to happen because they think its a sign of the end times and Jesus' return on a cloud of glory to save them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Never have I said that scientific consensus is reason enough to believe in global warming on its own. You have dishonestly cherry-picked my argument, which has been amply supported by links detailing the evidence of global warming, to pursue your own anti-science agenda. Beagle, Roy and shunya have been right to call you out on your seemingly deliberate misrepresentation of my argument.

I'm still waiting for you to justify your indifference to the highly probable facts of global warming when, if true, the consequences will be catastrophic for the planet. Why is this?
                            You said:

So, what about the ninety-seven percent of climate scientists, who agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide, which have issued public statements endorsing this position.
                            Whatever biases some scientists may have, for whatever reason, are irrelevant in the face of undoubted fact that Earth's climate is warming.

“Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position”

Comment

• Moderated By: rogue06

I've moved the argument about lying to the padded room where it belongs. If you want to continue, take it THERE

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Moderated By: rogue06

I've moved the argument about lying to the padded room where it belongs. If you want to continue, take it THERE

Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Moderated By: rogue06

If it continues here any longer I will start issuing points

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment