Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

�Alarming� Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    In the US, 2 of the last 3 administrations have been opposed to the conclusions of climate science; frequent majorities of either or both houses of congress have been too. Yet scientists haven't changed their conclusions during those periods. And scientists within oil companies have reached identical conclusions to those at universities.

It doesn't make for a convincing cases.

Could you share some of the losing tenure or not getting grant money details?

I've heard stories about the same things happening to people who don't believe in evolution, but they mostly come from Jorge :P
    A quick google search returns

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_1615947.html

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/...y-interviewed/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...U2N/story.html

Comment

• "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So now it is only "highly probably" instead of a "fact" and "settled science?"

And my dispute is with AGW, not climate change. While I believe civilization has probably affected the climate a bit, I don't believe it is to the extent that is being claimed. I believe much of it is a natural cycle.
        https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ming-overview/

https://www.livescience.com/topics/global-warming

Given the catastrophic dangers to life on earth it poses if, as is highly probable, it is true it behooves us to take action to modify it as per the Paris Agreement.

https://populationeducation.org/what...-it-important/
        Last edited by Tassman; 01-18-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• The point is, people are being persecuted because of their denial of AGW. As I said. I just posted the first few I came across in google. I saw a lot more. Do we really need to go through them all to show you that it happens?

Comment

The point is, people are being persecuted because of their denial of AGW. As I said. I just posted the first few I came across in google. I saw a lot more. Do we really need to go through them all to show you that it happens?
            That is not the case in those that you cited, as you were corrected.

Comment

• so it is not settled but it is fact?

And yes it has been characterized as "settled" a lot, both in the media and here on Tweb.

Global warming is settled science, but what does that mean?
              https://medium.com/the-future-is-ele...n-c452d49820e9

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              See why climatologists and atmospheric physicists take climate change seriously? Again, the science is pretty settled.
              Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Global warming was definitely more or less settled in the eighties, and was the predominant view even in the seventies.
              Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              ...Sorry, the science is pretty settled at this point.

Comment

That blog post is really well done - accurate and to the point. Highly recommended reading.

Small quibble - some extreme weather events are expected to intensify, but not increase in frequency. And cold snaps are going down in frequency and intensity (it just doesn't FEEL that way in the US right at the moment).
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

so it is not settled but it is fact?

And yes it has been characterized as "settled" a lot, both in the media and here on Tweb.

OK! This is all the more reason to accept the scientific consensus regarding global warming. Why don't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    OK! This is all the more reason to accept the scientific consensus regarding global warming. Why don't you?
                    So you are arguing that I should accept the consensus again? After you told me AGW wasn't settled science and I showed you where people have been calling it that?

And I should accept the word of a liberal news blog written by a non-scientist who doesn't even provide any sources?

Comment

So you are arguing that I should accept the consensus again? After you told me AGW wasn't settled science and I showed you where people have been calling it that?

And I should accept the word of a liberal news blog written by a non-scientist who doesn't even provide any sources?
                      Heh. Jesus Himself could come back, dope slap you upside the head and tell you human caused climate change is real and is a threat and you'd still argue it's just a scam by liberal scientists to get government grant money.

Comment

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0...global-warming

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                          Heh. Jesus Himself could come back, dope slap you upside the head and tell you human caused climate change is real and is a threat and you'd still argue it's just a scam by liberal scientists to get government grant money.
                          Jesus coming back on his cloud of glory is just what he's expecting and wants. The end times are upon us, don't you know.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 01-23-2019, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Again . . .

Like all science, the scientific consensus is based on the objective verifiable evidence, and many years of research, and not the personal 'opinion' of the scientists.

Comment

• Then why keep bringing up the consensus? If it is true the evidence should speak for itself no matter how many people believe it.

If I told you that 97% of people on earth believe in God, would you suddenly believe in God?

Comment

Then why keep bringing up the consensus? If it is true the evidence should speak for itself no matter how many people believe it.
                                The evidence speaks for itself and the consensus of scientists reinforces this evidence.

If I told you that 97% of people on earth believe in God, would you suddenly believe in God?
                                Not without detailed supporting evidence of the type we have regarding global warming.

Comment