Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Pelosi be Speaker? Or Fudge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Don't you feel it betrays Republican voters if Republicans run heaps of ads against Pelosi and about how she is the devil and how you need to "Vote Republican To Stop Her!!", only for elected Republicans to then choose to give Pelosi power?
    It's one of the ugly things of politics where "my party" is more important than "my country".

There's heaps of really really old, and thus slightly dotty, members of congress. While I think Pelosi is a bit dotty, it's not exactly like she stands out as being the only one. I recall the guy who runs the pharmacy at congress admitting he doled out a fair bit of Alzheimer's medication.
    She has been (and may again be) the leader of the House of Representatives - she's not just "another member of congress".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Don't you feel it betrays Republican voters if [typical Starlight fantasy situation]?
      Nah.
      There's heaps of really really old, and thus slightly dotty, members of congress. While I think Pelosi is a bit dotty, it's not exactly like she stands out as being the only one.
      What's all this ageist rhetoric, SL? Have you no respect for the elderly? Besides, San Fran Nan's been dotty for decades; it's hardly fair to blame it on her age.
      I recall the guy who runs the pharmacy at congress admitting he doled out a fair bit of Alzheimer's medication.
      I'm rather certain that family members can avail themselves of the pharmacy as well - and Alzheimer's doesn't make you dotty - just makes you forget stuff.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It seems that Fudge is taking some heat for writing a letter of support for a judge who was convicted of domestic violence and who was recently arrested for the murder of his wife.

----------

...a letter from 2015 surfaced where Fudge backed former Judge Lance Mason who was convicted of a 2014 assault on his wife. He was convicted of hitting his wife 20 times, and then smashing her head into the dashboard of their car while their children watched from the backseat. Fudge’s letter backing his character, sent to the prosecutor in Cuyahoga County, said Mason’s behavior toward his wife Aisha Fraser during that assault “is out of character and totally contrary to everything I know about him.” Fudge went on to write that Mason “accepts full responsibility for his actions and has assured me that something like this will never happen again.”

That statement was written a bit too soon, perhaps. After a nine-month stint in prison for his conviction on this, he got out and got a job working for the mayor’s office in Cleveland. Then, this weekend, his wife Fraser was stabbed to death–brutally murdered–and while police have not yet charged him, they have taken Mason into custody in the murder of Fraser.

In the wake of this development–and with Pelosi throwing her a plum subcommittee chairmanship next year–Fudge has dropped all opposition to Pelosi and endorsed Pelosi’s bid for the Speakership of the House, effectively ending the rebellion against her.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...er-resurfaces/

----------

So Fudge showed unconscionably poor judgment. That's hardly new territory for a Democrat. I'm honestly surprised she didn't try to play the race card.
        The only thing I don't like about this is that it make's JimL's ignorant bombast accidentally correct.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          The only thing I don't like about this is that it make's JimL's ignorant bombast accidentally correct.
          Even a blind hog finds an acorn on occasion. A broken clock, and all that...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            - and Alzheimer's doesn't make you dotty - just makes you forget stuff.
            One of our older seniors is facing symptoms of Alzheimer's, but has some particularly cogent insight from time to time.

The other day he told me - "if you forget where you put your keys, that's no big deal, cause we all do that -- it's when you find your keys and can't remember what they're for....."

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Well, you may not be afraid, you'll just be ranting and whining about her for years to come.
              Which is actually a reasonable explanation for Trump wanting Pelosi to regain her speaker post.

Believe me MM
              It always makes me smile when you say this.

it's in the bag. And the jerks trying to oust her, for no good reason, will pay for it in the end.
              These "jerks" are in your own party, Jim, duly elected by you guys. And they must believe they have good reason, or they wouldn't risk her wrath, which is what you seem to be implying they will incur.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It's one of the ugly things of politics where "my party" is more important than "my country".
                Says the Trump supporter who's party is more important than his country..

She has been (and may again be) the leader of the House of Representatives - she's not just "another member of congress".
                She wouldn't be where she is or wield the power she will, if she was at all dotty. She's all there, and even at her age she has more energy and chutzpah than any one who might want to take her on. Why do you think republican leadership fears her so much that they spend so much time and money trying to demonize her? Even that failed, as the recent election showed!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Says the Trump supporter who's party is more important than his country..

She wouldn't be where she is or wield the power she will, if she was at all dotty. She's all there, and even at her age she has more energy and chutzpah than any one who might want to take her on. Why do you think republican leadership fears her so much that they spend so much time and money trying to demonize her? Even that failed, as the recent election showed!
                  I was going to type an actual response, but I'm still laughing at your delusion. You are certainly a gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I was going to type an actual response, but I'm still laughing at your delusion. You are certainly a gift that keeps on giving.
                    As I've observed before, it's impossible to tell the difference between satire and liberal delusion.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      As I've observed before, it's impossible to tell the difference between satire and liberal delusion.
                      Especially when the deluded preach about everybody else being bubble-fed. You really can't make this stuff up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        So do the Republican posters here support Trump's public offer of getting Pelosi some Republican votes to make her speaker?
                        Gotta have someone to laugh at.

But seriously I don't like Pelosi. I am not sure if Trump was serious (in which case it looks like sucking up to me and I disagree with him) or he is being ironic and mocking her.

Comment

So do the Republican posters here support Trump's public offer of getting Pelosi some Republican votes to make her speaker?
                          I'm not a Republican, but I think Trump may see "Pelosi in power" as a continued source of infighting for the Democrats.

I thought Republicans hated Pelosi for (no / unspecified) reasons?
                          "Hated" is a strong word, and it's not her - it's her policies. Which, by the way, may not as extreme as some of the incoming crowd.

Why act to support Pelosi getting the role? Because Republicans find it convenient to demonize her in their election ads in order to turn out their gullible voters?
                          That's a distinct possibility - that Trump and other Republicans have something (someone) against which to campaign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Gotta have someone to laugh at.

But seriously I don't like Pelosi. I am not sure if Trump was serious (in which case it looks like sucking up to me and I disagree with him) or he is being ironic and mocking her.
                            I suspect he'd like her in that office because it's so easy to run against her. "We need to win back the House, because Pelosi......"

Comment

Don't you feel it betrays Republican voters if Republicans run heaps of ads against Pelosi and about how she is the devil and how you need to "Vote Republican To Stop Her!!", only for elected Republicans to then choose to give Pelosi power?
                              I was talking political strategy. Personally I'd rather that Pelosi be as far away from the reins of power as possible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Nancy Pelosi cuts deal with potential challenger Marcia Fudge, earning support for House speaker bid

Nancy Pelosi has cut a deal with Rep. Marcia Fudge, who was mulling her own challenge for the House speakership, winning over the Ohio Democrat as she locks in support for House Speaker.

Despite a band of House Democrats announcing their opposition Monday to Pelosi's bid for speaker, Pelosi has remained confident she will win the race for speaker, working behind the scenes to solidify support in the House Democratic Caucus in the aftermath of the midterm elections.

In an unexpected development Tuesday evening, Fudge threw her support behind Pelosi after she announced her intention to restore the Elections Subcommittee of the Committee on House Administration in the 116th Congress and name Fudge the new chair.

Comment