Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life in Heaven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Heaven.

For those of you with an understanding of Heaven, how will life be different there? Personally I don't see how you can be any less of a sinner in heaven than you are here on earth unless what you call your sin nature is somehow recreated by God. And if in order to not sin, you need be transformed by God into a "non-sinner" then what was the point of this so called earthly crucible?

Maybe you should do some research into this topic. That's what I usually do when I want to learn about something. The other day I was researching how to gain remote access to various open ports. I did not start by asking random people- even those in my classes- how they felt such a thing should be done. I asked experts, and the people who give commentary on port mapping applications.

To answer your question, though, sometimes I wonder what Heaven is really like. It's fun to muse about, but it's not something I like dwelling on for long periods of time. So, I've never been curious enough to find out what biblical scholars or theologians have to say about it. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of them have considered these questions, and have answers for them.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
      Maybe you should do some research into this topic. That's what I usually do when I want to learn about something. The other day I was researching how to gain remote access to various open ports. I did not start by asking random people- even those in my classes- how they felt such a thing should be done. I asked experts, and the people who give commentary on port mapping applications.

To answer your question, though, sometimes I wonder what Heaven is really like. It's fun to muse about, but it's not something I like dwelling on for long periods of time. So, I've never been curious enough to find out what biblical scholars or theologians have to say about it. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of them have considered these questions, and have answers for them.
      Lea, I applaud you for attempting a reply to Jim.

However, his pattern here is to simply troll. Likely whatever his response to any of us will be, it will be full of ridicule and contempt.

He just simply isn't interested in whatever any of us have to say. He has no genuine interest into anything to do with God.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Lea, I applaud you for attempting a reply to Jim.

However, his pattern here is to simply troll. Likely whatever his response to any of us will be, it will be full of ridicule and contempt.

He just simply isn't interested in whatever any of us have to say. He has no genuine interest into anything to do with God.
        This was my impression, too! I only decided to check out the post because I do think discussions about Heaven are interesting, even if I don't know the answers. It was... disappointing.

It seems odd that though atheists claim that they want nothing to do with religion, many ask questions like these far more than I do. (I'm sure the answer is important, just not of interest to me.) I don't spend time wondering what reincarnation feels like, as I don't believe in it. I don't know, I'm torn between finding it ironic/amusing and sad. If you're confident in what you believe, you don't need to ask these questions, or try to force doubt in other people. You'd research their beliefs, and then maybe bring up specific, informed criticisms about those beliefs. Doing this just makes me suspect they're unhappy or insecure.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
          This was my impression, too! I only decided to check out the post because I do think discussions about Heaven are interesting, even if I don't know the answers. It was... disappointing.

It seems odd that though atheists claim that they want nothing to do with religion, many ask questions like these far more than I do. (I'm sure the answer is important, just not of interest to me.) I don't spend time wondering what reincarnation feels like, as I don't believe in it. I don't know, I'm torn between finding it ironic/amusing and sad. If you're confident in what you believe, you don't need to ask these questions, or try to force doubt in other people. You'd research their beliefs, and then maybe bring up specific, informed criticisms about those beliefs. Doing this just makes me suspect they're unhappy or insecure.
          You are a wise lady.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            For those of you with an understanding of Heaven, how will life be different there? Personally I don't see how you can be any less of a sinner in heaven than you are here on earth unless what you call your sin nature is somehow recreated by God. And if in order to not sin, you need be transformed by God into a "non-sinner" then what was the point of this so called earthly crucible?
            Don't we call this this argument by personal incredulity?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Let's put this in simple terms. Christians don't want to sin against God. Sin equals being a jerk to our Lord and Savior. Sadly, we still do sin because we are like little kids that act up when tiered, hungry, sick, distracted, peer pressure, etc. In Heaven, we Christians will be more aware of God in a way we aren't right now. Then, we will be guided by the Spirit. and be perfect in a perfect environment.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Let's put this in simple terms. Christians don't want to sin against God. Sin equals being a jerk to our Lord and Savior. Sadly, we still do sin because we are like little kids that act up when tiered, hungry, sick, distracted, peer pressure, etc. In Heaven, we Christians will be more aware of God in a way we aren't right now. Then, we will be guided by the Spirit. and be perfect in a perfect environment.
                So, are you suggesting that you only sin here on earth because and when you are hungry, sick, tired or whatever, and that in heaven you won't have those problems so will be guided by the "Spirit," whatever you mean by that, and so be perfect because you are in a perfect enviroment.

If that be the case, can you tell me then, why didn't god create that perfect environment in the first place wherein nobody would sin?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  He doesn't care. He's trolling. And he's proved it by his response to you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    He doesn't care. He's trolling. And he's proved it by his response to you.
                    Don't be so frightened of questions mossrose. And what is wrong with my response to CBW? It's a question in response to his reply to the O.P. Perhaps you have an answer? Do you agree with CBW, that heaven will be different than earth, that due to the conditions there in heaven we will no longer sin?

Comment

You don't care, Jim. You are not interested in what any of us think.

You are just trolling.

Comment

....you know, when they asked the Lord to prove himself, he called their bluff. They proved to be looking for trouble, not answers. It's not about being afraid of questions....it's knowing you're not real about them.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Hmm... in that case, why does it matter in an atheistic worldview who is right? If we merely cease to exist, then we should eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you die.

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

C'mon guys, it's really just a simple and legit question. If I didn't care to know what you thought about it, or even if you thought about it, then I wouldn't ask. To me, the idea of the crucible doesn't make sense if god is going to recreate you and the enviroment in heaven so that you don't sin, and that seems to be the only response I've gotten to this question so far. Is that it really? So my question is why the crucible, what's the point, if god is going to re-make the whole thing so that you will no longer sin in heaven? Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              C'mon guys, it's really just a simple and legit question. If I didn't care to know what you thought about it, or even if you thought about it, then I wouldn't ask. To me, the idea of the crucible doesn't make sense if god is going to recreate you and the enviroment in heaven so that you don't sin, and that seems to be the only response I've gotten to this question so far. Is that it really? So my question is why the crucible, what's the point, if god is going to re-make the whole thing so that you will no longer sin in heaven? Anybody?

All right, Jim. Since you ask so sincerely.

It's for His glory.

It shows His grace to change us here from sinful beings into redeemed beings.

It shows His love for us in His taking on human flesh and bearing the awful weight of every sin of every person who believes on Him on the cross at Calvary.

It shows His mercy in His provision of a way back to Him through His sacrifice of His only Son.

It shows His longing for us to be with Him and to be like Him by bringing us, in a glorified, sinless body, to be in His presence for all eternity where we will spend forever glorifying Him for what He has done for us.

It's all about God, Jim.
                              Last edited by mossrose; 11-18-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment