Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

What Ever Happened to Hairnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Ever Happened to Hairnets?

My wife likes watching the food shows, so I often get stuck watching them, too.

It strikes me that a lot of these cooks and bakers have wild fly-away or droop or spikey or unkempt hair, and NONE of them wear hairnets.

You always knew who the lunch ladies were in school, because they all wore hairnets.

Was it decided they weren't effective? Are we less touchy about hair in our food?

What ever happened to hairnets?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It strikes me that a lot of these cooks and bakers have wild fly-away or droop or spikey or unkempt hair, and NONE of them wear hairnets.

You always knew who the lunch ladies were in school, because they all wore hairnets.

Was it decided they weren't effective? Are we less touchy about hair in our food?

When I pick up stuff from my grocery deli they're all wearing either hair nets or caps -- one guy even has a "beard net"
    Last edited by rogue06; 11-18-2018, 01:53 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      When I pick up stuff from my grocery deli they're all wearing either hair nets or caps -- one guy even has a "beard net"
      I bet that place has been around for ages, eh?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I bet that place has been around for ages, eh?
        Nearly 30 years

Looks kinda like this but closer fitting

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm gonna figure that they didn't want to muss their hair for TV especially considering that they're usually not serving the food prepared to paying customers

Comment

Hairnets are not universally required. I worked in a cafe inside a Barnes and Noble and I was only required to have my hair pulled back as that's the only requirement in Texas. Some places require hats, but not necessarily hairnets. YMMV.

ETA: I also watch a ridiculous amount of Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, and Heck's Cafeteria* and they always at minimum wear any long hair pulled back pretty tightly. One guy had a long beard but seemed to cut it shorter and more neat (still pretty long) by the first dinner service. Many/most on Heck's Cafeteria wear a bandana (which also works to sop up sweat in a hot kitchen so it doesn't get into the food).

*This is what we call Hell's Kitchen.
            Last edited by thewriteranon; 11-18-2018, 03:08 PM.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Just go bald and maybe they'll let you be an exception.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What about eyebrow nets?

Comment

Hairnets don’t make for good filming.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Hair? Pfft. A local woman recently found a live frog in her salad.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      And the infamous human finger in a bowl of Wendy's Chili!

(Oh, wait, that claim was eventually proven FALSE!)

Comment

And the infamous human finger in a bowl of Wendy's Chili!

(Oh, wait, that claim was eventually proven FALSE!)
                        Well, this one was true.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

00000000000000ars1aa.gif

Comment

Well, this one was true.
                            Yeah, I once found a cigarette butt in a pizza we purchased - but somehow that's not as gross as finding a severed finger. I'm just glad THAT one turned out to be false.

Comment

They wore hairnets on Heck's Cafeteria when red team lost and had to prep a buffet.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment