Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

S.M.A.R.T. Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.M.A.R.T. Gun Control

Many things I've done in management have been done within the construct of the SMART model:
    • Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
    • Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
    • Achievable – can realistically be implemented.
    • Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
    • Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.

I'm wondering if anybody can provide a gun control proposal that would meet the requirements of the SMART model.

Carpe - this seems like it might be something up your ally.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Many things I've done in management have been done within the construct of the SMART model:
      • Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.

I'm wondering if anybody can provide a gun control proposal that would meet the requirements of the SMART model.

I doubt at this point that any decent control measure would be Achievable.

Anyway, shouldn't it be Specific/Testable/Useful/Practical/Implementable/Date-related?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No - I don't think this can be done as things currently stand. The SMART model requires information - and independent, objective research into gun-related violence has been suppressed for decades now. A great deal of what we have is funded by the gun lobby and the NRA, who clearly have an agenda. So the first step is not to create "gun control." The first step is to fund independent research into gun-related violence in the same way that we have funded research into automobile safety, disease control, impact of cigarettes, impact of lead, and the list goes on.

Then - with adequate and meaningful data - we can set out SMART objectives. So my first SMART objective would be:
        • Specific – target a specific area for improvement: Formal, peer-reviewed, national/international studies on a) relationship between gun availability and gun violence and b) gun control initiatives with a demonstrable impact on reducing gun-related injury and death.
        • Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress: Creation of a body (we can specify a number here) of peer-reviewed national/international studies.
        • Achievable – can realistically be implemented: Such research has been conducted in other areas by the CDC and independent, federally funded researchers in the past, so there is no reason to think these studies cannot be implemented in this field as well.
        • Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources: Again, I point to the wide array of studies on other sources of harm to Americans - so creation of such a body of work is self-evidently realistic, IMO.
        • Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved: With funding made available, such studies have been done in 2-3 years for other research areas, so there is no reason to believe the same could not be done here. There is significant raw data to draw on, and funding could create data collection avenues currently not available.

That would be my take.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          No - I don't think this can be done as things currently stand. The SMART model requires information - and independent, objective research into gun-related violence has been suppressed for decades now. A great deal of what we have is funded by the gun lobby and the NRA, who clearly have an agenda. So the first step is not to create "gun control." The first step is to fund independent research into gun-related violence in the same way that we have funded research into automobile safety, disease control, impact of cigarettes, impact of lead, and the list goes on.

Then - with adequate and meaningful data - we can set out SMART objectives. So my first SMART objective would be:
          • Specific – target a specific area for improvement: Formal, peer-reviewed, national/international studies on a) relationship between gun availability and gun violence and b) gun control initiatives with a demonstrable impact on reducing gun-related injury and death.
          • Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress: Creation of a body (we can specify a number here) of peer-reviewed national/international studies.
          • Achievable – can realistically be implemented: Such research has been conducted in other areas by the CDC and independent, federally funded researchers in the past, so there is no reason to think these studies cannot be implemented in this field as well.
          • Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources: Again, I point to the wide array of studies on other sources of harm to Americans - so creation of such a body of work is self-evidently realistic, IMO.
          • Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved: With funding made available, such studies have been done in 2-3 years for other research areas, so there is no reason to believe the same could not be done here. There is significant raw data to draw on, and funding could create data collection avenues currently not available.

That would be my take.
          Thanks - that's about what I would expect you to say. (and understandably so)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't see S.M.A.R.T. without thinking of this:

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              Unfortunately, I can't see S.M.A.R.T. without thinking of this:
              Being older I think of this:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Being older I think of this:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]33173[/ATTACH]
                Yeah, I immediately thought of Max.

Comment

Yeah, I immediately thought of Max.
                  That's cause we be old farts. Not mossy old mind you (who is), but still well past being a whippersnapper.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment