A question for writeranon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for writeranon.

You are a lawer and fellow believer so I wanted to ask you something. I have a friend in pakistan who is working hard to get a law degree in the us. I am not a lawer so I have no idea how I can help except by praying. I was wondering if you would pray with me. Maybe you could help I dont know.
    sigpic

I'm not a lawyer. I'm a law student. Does he already have a degree to practice law in Pakistan and is not enrolled as an LLM at a U.S. school, or his he applying for an LLM in the U.S.? Or is he applying to get a J.D. in the US? Or does he have none of the above?

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

He says he is going for an LLB. I dont know what that is.
      sigpic

Comment

Hey thank you for responding anyway. It means a lot
        sigpic

Comment

The United States does not have an LLB. That is an undergraduate degree. In the United States a law degree is a graduate level degree, either as a J.D. (juris doctor), LLM (master of law - almost entirely reserved for international students who already possess their LLB, and also a + to people who want to specialize in tax law if you get a tax LLM), or an SJD (doctorate of law - you need a J.D. or LLM already to pursue the SJD; it's the equivalent of a Ph.D.). In most of the rest of the world a law degree is an undergraduate degree - the LLB. In order for international students to practice law they either need to receive an undergraduate degree in any subject and apply for J.D. programs in the United States once they have received their degree and taken the LSAT, or they need to receive their LLB in their respective country and apply for the LLM in the United States, which will allow for them to sit for the bar. If he is already enrolled in an LLB program in Pakistan he needs to focus hard on his studies and start studying for the LSAT about a year out from when he plans to take the test. He should not apply to schools in the U.S. if he scores below a 165 on the LSAT. The score needs to be even higher if his undergraduate grades do not score a high ranking with LSAC, the people who manage the LSAT and law school applications. International grades are not scored on a GPA scale like in the United States, because of the incredible variance in strength of programs internationally. As such, law school rankings do not include GPAs of incoming international students. This means the LSAT, which can still be reported, is even more important for international students than for local students. Law schools care more about rankings than they should. Yale and Stanford can afford to be a little more flexible on their admission criteria, but from Harvard down in the rankings GPA + LSAT matter way more than any other factor. There is now no limit to the number of times you can take the LSAT; take the LSAT until the desired score is achieved. If he is currently enrolled in an LLB program, the LSAT is the highest priority for getting into an LLM program in the United States.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I learned some stuff today.
            sigpic

Comment

I almost always forget exactly what SJD stands for so I just read it as "super JD" and imagine lawyers wearing capes.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment