Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't Even Pardon Turkeys With Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Even Pardon Turkeys With Class

Just watched Trump pardon the Turkeys, Peas and Carrots.

Even in this family friendly silly 'pardon', he couldn't just do it with class - he had to make dumb political attacks while claiming Thanksgiving is all about unity.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

so is Carrots doomed?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so is Carrots doomed?
      Don't worry about the runner up. Both turkeys will live out their lives at Virginia Tech’s "Gobblers Rest" exhibit in Blacksburg, Virginia. Students and veterinarians within Virginia Tech’s Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will care for the turkeys.

source
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        so is Carrots doomed?
        00000000000000ar0.jpg
        Oh please let it be so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Don't worry about the runner up. Both turkeys will live out their lives at Virginia Tech’s "Gobblers Rest" exhibit in Blacksburg, Virginia. Students and veterinarians within Virginia Tech’s Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will care for the turkeys.

source
          Which often isn't even a year.

Source: The White House's pardoned turkeys aren't so lucky after Thanksgiving

According to Dean Norton, the director at Mount Vernon in charge of livestock, the turkeys are raised for consumption so they’re overweight and not expected to live much longer on their own.

“The bird is bred for the table, not for longevity,” Norton told CNN. “Some of [the pardoned turkeys] have been pretty short lived.”

Popcorn, one of the turkeys pardoned in 2013, died the summer after his short stay at the White House from “something heat-related”, Teresa Davenport, spokesperson for Morven Park told the Huffington Post. Cobbler and Gobbler, who avoided the dinner table in 2012, both died within a year of being pardoned. Three of the four turkeys pardoned in 2010 and 2011 died less than five months after leaving the White House, and the final turkey from 2011 lived for only 16 months following the ceremony, according to CNN.

“The birds are fed in such a way to increase their weight,” Norton told CNN. “[Americans] want a nice big breasted turkey and so they are fed high protein diet and they get quite large. The organs, though, that are in this bird are meant for a smaller bird. They just can’t handle the extra weight, so they end up living not as long [as wild turkeys].”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Which often isn't even a year.

Source: The White House's pardoned turkeys aren't so lucky after Thanksgiving

Popcorn, one of the turkeys pardoned in 2013, died the summer after his short stay at the White House from “something heat-related”...

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]33167[/ATTACH]
              This is an oldie but so appropriate in my opinion.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It was the first thing I thought of when the article said that the turkey died from "something heat-related". My first thought was "They cooked him!"
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Haha. Cobbler and Gobbler.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It was the first thing I thought of when the article said that the turkey died from "something heat-related". My first thought was "They cooked him!"
                    EGGzackly!

Comment

Nixon pardoned 409 turkeys. Clinton pardoned 456 turkeys. Not counting the ones with feathers.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

I hope "Peas" and "Carrots" were the names of the turkeys...
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Even in this family friendly silly 'pardon', he couldn't just do it with class - he had to make dumb political attacks while claiming Thanksgiving is all about unity.
                          With what class will he have when he 'tries' to pardon the flock of turkeys from all the indictments including his own handed down by Mueller.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            With what class will he have when he 'tries' to pardon the flock of turkeys from all the indictments including his own handed down by Mueller.
                            The pardoning of Turkeys is supposed to be an apolitical practice - a symbol of good will. That he had to politicize it is the 'lack of class' to which I referred.

The pardoning of felons is something members of both parties have done for ages, and IS political, and often lacks class all around. I'm sure we could build a bipartisan list of "lack of class" pardons without a whole lot of effort.

Comment

The pardoning of Turkeys is supposed to be an apolitical practice - a symbol of good will.
                              It's always struck me as being akin to a Gormenghast ritual - something done purely because it's been done previously, with no reference to why it began.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment