Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Democrats Don't Know What to Make of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Someone needs to check her credentials out and see if she really did graduate with a degree in economics.
    According to wiki:

"Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It's an ignorant statement because, first of all, people working long hours doesn't affect the unemployment rate. At all. Not even a little.

And secondly, the data shows that it's the high wage earners who are most likely to work long hours while people in low paying jobs tend to work the customary 40-hours a week or less.

I'm not sure why you're trying to defend this nuttery.
      Most minimum wage jobs are hard to even get 40 hours. They sure don't want to pay overtime. Her comment was most likely in conjunction with her "two jobs" comment, saying they worked 70/80 hours at two or more jobs.

Comment

Most minimum wage jobs are hard to even get 40 hours. They sure don't want to pay overtime. Her comment was most likely in conjunction with her "two jobs" comment, saying they worked 70/80 hours at two or more jobs.
        And a lot of this is "unintended consequences" of the government redefining what a full time job is.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's an ignorant statement because, first of all, people working long hours doesn't affect the unemployment rate. At all. Not even a little. And secondly, the data shows that it's the high wage earners who are most likely to work long hours
          Many times they are on "salary", which doesn't pay a dime more for going over 40 hours --- or they are owners or principals, and don't get "paid" at all -- they are banking on "profit".

while people in low paying jobs tend to work the customary 40-hours a week or less.
          And, in many cases, their employer won't let them work over 35 hours, or they'd have to classify them as fulltime, and/or pay them overtime.

I'm not sure why you're trying to defend this nuttery.
          It's called confirmation bias.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Many times they are on "salary", which doesn't pay a dime more for going over 40 hours --- or they are owners or principals, and don't get "paid" at all -- they are banking on "profit".

And, in many cases, their employer won't let them work over 35 hours, or they'd have to classify them as fulltime, and/or pay them overtime.

It's called confirmation bias.
            Everything I find that agrees with what I think reminds me of how right I am.

Comment

Everything I find that agrees with what I think reminds me of how right I am.
              I hereby confirm that bias!

Comment

I hereby confirm that bias!
                I confirm your confirmation, sir! You are correct!

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  In context the point she was trying to make was quite clear, but she muddled up the phrasing of one of her sentences. Don't be one of the losers trying to take her out of context to misconstrue her point.
                  [*SIGH*]

She claimed that the unemployment rate was low because people were forced to take on multiple jobs. This revealed an egregious misunderstanding and totally uninformed view of how the unemployment rate is figured. The fact that you and a few others are trying to distract and deflect attention away from that simple fact is not really a surprise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

According to wiki:

"Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics"
                    And yet she flubs something that even a none-too-bright Middle Schooler should be able to grasp.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      With the minimal corrections I've supplied her point is both obvious, and correct.

That's usually what I think when reading your posts.

It's also amusing how much energy and focus right-wingers put into the idea that the intelligent and educated AOC might have phrased one point badly among her many on-air and off the cuff comments, when on the other hand there's Trump the bumbling moron who can't got a day without making up 10 completely idiotic claims and showing his ignorance of absolutely everything. The sheer desperation for right-wingers to try and find some sort of false equivalence to his driveling imbecilicism is amusing.

Your envy of those better educated than you is amusing.
                      You are forced to change what she plainly stated into something she didn't and then declare that's what she "really" meant. Funny that she or her staff didn't issue such corrections, don't you think?

If Trump had said something this idiotic (and he has), not only would you, and the others here seeking to defend her ignorance, not accept any sort of correction but would be squeaking and screeching about him lying.

Comment

And a lot of this is "unintended consequences" of the government redefining what a full time job is.
                        Which could have been (and for the most part was) easily foreseen by anyone with any real experience in the private sector. Only those who spent their lives getting a paycheck in one form or another from the government were surprised.

Not to change the subject but it reminds me of how Sen. Feinstein and her aides decided what constituted an "Assault Weapon" by thumbing through a catalog and selecting everything that to them looked scary. They literally defined them by cosmetic appearance rather than functionality. And of course they were thunderstruck when manufacturers simply made a few superficial, frivolous changes (such as changing the color of the stock from black to brown) to make them legal again. This is what happens when someone who hasn't even the slightest clue about how something works tries to legislate it.

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

Comment

• Brandon Morse has made an insightful observation wrt AOC:

Source: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Not The Smartest, And Democrats Need To Stop Trying To Squelch People Calling It Out

Hilariously, if Ocasio-Cortez was on the right, then the left would be having a field day with talking about how stupid and ignorant she is.

They took every measure to see to it that every flaw and gaffe from Sarah Palin was highlighted in order to paint her as the dumbest woman alive. They even attributed a quote to her that she didn’t even say in the form of Tina Fey’s satirical SNL caricature of Palin and her “I can see Russia from my house” line. Interestingly, the left actually bought that Palin had said it and actually used the line as proof of how Republicans were stupid.

George W. Bush was consistently hailed as a moron as the leftist media, from the news to Hollywood, bashed him over his gaffes and his down-home way of speaking ad nauseam. In reality, as former Bush staffer Keith Hennesy would describe telling his students in a superb 2013 article, Bush was usually the smartest guy in the room capable of discerning complicated matters and problem-solving so quickly it would make your head spin.

Dan Quayle misspelled potato once, and you would have thought he was the stupidest man alive by the media’s telling.

For the left, the thought that Republicans are stupid is a default setting. The leftist media in all its forms will do whatever it can to reinforce that fact, even when the person they’re painting as moronic is an intelligence beyond any of them. Meanwhile, they’re only too happy to ignore the idiotic things coming from their own party.

Ocasio-Cortez is one of those things they are purposefully ignoring.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

On Tweb we have someone who insists that if we just change what she said here and there to something else entirely then she could have a valid point.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Brandon Morse has made an insightful observation wrt AOC:

Source: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Not The Smartest, And Democrats Need To Stop Trying To Squelch People Calling It Out

Hilariously, if Ocasio-Cortez was on the right, then the left would be having a field day with talking about how stupid and ignorant she is.

They took every measure to see to it that every flaw and gaffe from Sarah Palin was highlighted in order to paint her as the dumbest woman alive. They even attributed a quote to her that she didn’t even say in the form of Tina Fey’s satirical SNL caricature of Palin and her “I can see Russia from my house” line. Interestingly, the left actually bought that Palin had said it and actually used the line as proof of how Republicans were stupid.

George W. Bush was consistently hailed as a moron as the leftist media, from the news to Hollywood, bashed him over his gaffes and his down-home way of speaking ad nauseam. In reality, as former Bush staffer Keith Hennesy would describe telling his students in a superb 2013 article, Bush was usually the smartest guy in the room capable of discerning complicated matters and problem-solving so quickly it would make your head spin.

Dan Quayle misspelled potato once, and you would have thought he was the stupidest man alive by the media’s telling.

For the left, the thought that Republicans are stupid is a default setting. The leftist media in all its forms will do whatever it can to reinforce that fact, even when the person they’re painting as moronic is an intelligence beyond any of them. Meanwhile, they’re only too happy to ignore the idiotic things coming from their own party.

Ocasio-Cortez is one of those things they are purposefully ignoring.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

On Tweb we have someone who insists that if we just change what she said here and there to something else entirely then she could have a valid point.
                              Probably because she's cute!

Comment

Probably because she's cute!
                                Does Mrs. CP know about this infatuation of yours?

Comment