Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Things not spoken into existence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Cow Poke. That would be awesome. Thx...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Hello Cow Poke. That would be awesome. Thx...
      Jeff - start with clicking the "Reply with Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button.

That puts the post to which you are responding in "quotes", and makes it much easier for everybody to see to whom, and to what, you are responding.

It's not as big a deal in a thread where there's little or no activity, but when posts happen BETWEEN posts, sometimes it's not so obvious to whom you're replying.

It also automatically inserts the hyperlink so anybody else can go back and see the context of what was being discussed.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok Cerebrum. Look forward to hearing from you. I will make a point to learn the qoute function. With 11 hr daily shifts time has been a factor... plus a cheap phone and spotty service. Hope the dentist went well.
        It went well, it just takes me a bit to recover from a simple cleaning. I'm not in the best frame of mind for posting after something like that.

Comment

O...I dunno Sparko. How does the indwelling of the Holy Spirit work in us? I mean, if God is working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure it must be a similar relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Jeff - start with clicking the "Reply with Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button.

That puts the post to which you are responding in "quotes", and makes it much easier for everybody to see to whom, and to what, you are responding.

It's not as big a deal in a thread where there's little or no activity, but when posts happen BETWEEN posts, sometimes it's not so obvious to whom you're replying.

It also automatically inserts the hyperlink so anybody else can go back and see the context of what was being discussed.
            Thanks my friend. That was painless. So, if I type [/Quote] twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?

Comment

Thanks my friend. That was painless. So, if I type
              twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?[/QUOTE]

Type [ quote ] for the start of the area you want to quote, and [ /quote ] after that part ends. You would do that without the spaces. Here is an example.

With spaces.
              [ quote ] It also automatically inserts the hyperlink so anybody else can go back and see the context of what was being discussed. [ /quote ]

Without spaces.
              Doing it this way didn't link to the post, since I didn't use the "Reply With Quote" button for Cow Poke's post.

Comment

Thanks my friend. That was painless. So, if I type [ /Quote] twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?
                Hmmmm... the "tags" are always [whatever] and [/whatever] --- opening and closing tags. "Whatever" can be box or quote or cite....

ETA (Edited to add) -- or what Brum said. You can always trust Brum.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-06-2018, 09:42 AM.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

O...I dunno Sparko. How does the indwelling of the Holy Spirit work in us? I mean, if God is working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure it must be a similar relationship.
                  So you think Jesus was just an ordinary man filled with the Holy Spirit like we are? The bible says as the Son, he created everything. It doesn't say Jesus was indwelt by God, it says that the Word (God) BECAME flesh.

I am confused by your posts Jeff. Please explain exactly who and what you believe Jesus was.

Comment

Thanks my friend. That was painless. So, if I type [ /Quote]* twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?
                    The way I do it is as follows. First I press "reply with quote", so I get the whole message, as above. Then I choose the first part I want to respond to, like this (but without the spaces inside the [ QUOTE]-, and [ /QUOTE]-tags):

[ QUOTE=Jeff;596986]Thanks my friend. That was painless.[ /QUOTE]

After that I select the first quote tag (the one with the username of the person you're responding to, and the number ID of the post) and copy and paste it, after which I select the next section of the post that I want to respond to, and close it with the [ /QUOTE]-tag, like this:

[ QUOTE=Jeff;596986] So, if I type [ /Quote] twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time? [ /QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without the spaces it should look like this:

Thanks my friend. That was painless.
                    After that I select the first quote tag (the one with the username of the person you're responding to, and the number ID of the post) and copy and paste it, after which I select the next section of the post that I want to respond to, and close it with the [ /QUOTE]-tag, like this:

So, if I type [ /Quote]* twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?
                    *I had to alter the [ /quote] tag in your message so that the editor wouldn't close accidentally chop up the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      So you think Jesus was just an ordinary man filled with the Holy Spirit like we are? The bible says as the Son, he created everything. It doesn't say Jesus was indwelt by God, it says that the Word (God) BECAME flesh.

I am confused by your posts Jeff. Please explain exactly who and what you believe Jesus was.
                      Sparko. As clear as I am able... the Word in the beginning is God made manifest in a form by which He will mediate between Himself and that which is not Him... creation. The Word in the beginning, therefore, is the One true God "made manifest" who Jesus himself spoke of as his Father revealed. The Son is he who was prophesied from the beginning as "the Messiah to come" who would be the very embodiment of the one true God... his Father and ours. This makes Jesus the alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end... our Lord and our God. All this without the illogical deduction that extends a son backwards into eternity past. As I have already stated, it would be unnatural for God to think equality with Himself not a thing to be grasped. But perfectly natural for a man equal to God to think this way. The difference is this: creation is not about a God the Father and a God the Son. It's about the one true God and His expressed image... the man Jesus Christ in whom the fullness of true God dwelt bodily... the Word in the beginning being the fullness of Him.

Another angle: the Bridegroom exists for His Bride, and the Bride for her Bridegroom. One is not comprehended without the other. So too the Word exists for creation and creation for the Word... as the Son exists for His Church and His Church for Him... in whom the Word dwells bodily.

All that to say this: Yeshua / Jesus is "...the Christ, Son of the Living God...". Period...
                      Last edited by Jeff; 12-07-2018, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        twice between sentences it will break a post up so I can address one part at a time?

Type [ quote ] for the start of the area you want to quote, and [ /quote ] after that part ends. You would do that without the spaces. Here is an example.

With spaces.

Without spaces.

Doing it this way didn't link to the post, since I didn't use the "Reply With Quote" button for Cow Poke's post.
                        Thanks much Cerebrum. Might take alittle practice but I'll get it down. Appreciate your assistance... and Cow Poke's too.
                        Last edited by Jeff; 12-07-2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Sparko. As clear as I am able... the Word in the beginning is God made manifest in a form by which He will mediate between Himself and that which is not Him... creation. The Word in the beginning, therefore, is the One true God "made manifest" who Jesus himself spoke of as his Father revealed. The Son is he who was prophesied from the beginning as "the Messiah to come" who would be the very embodiment of the one true God... his Father and ours. This makes Jesus the alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end... our Lord and our God. All this without the illogical deduction that extends a son backwards into eternity past. As I have already stated, it would be unnatural for God to think equality with Himself not a thing to be grasped. But perfectly natural for a man equal to God to think this way. The difference is this: creation is not about a God the Father and a God the Son. It's about the one true God and His expressed image... the man Jesus Christ in whom the fullness of true God dwelt bodily... the Word in the beginning being the fullness of Him.

Another angle: the Bridegroom exists for His Bride, and the Bride for her Bridegroom. One is not comprehended without the other. So too the Word exists for creation and creation for the Word... as the Son exists for His Church and His Church for Him... in whom the Word dwells bodily.

All that to say this: Yeshua / Jesus is "...the Christ, Son of the Living God...". Period...
                          I can't follow that at all. So the Word is the Son, who is God, who is the alpha and omega, who created everything, and yet the Son is not the Father and there is only one God? And the Word is not the Holy Spirit, who is also God?

Sounds like the Trinity to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I can't follow that at all. So the Word is the Son, who is God, who is the alpha and omega, who created everything, and yet the Son is not the Father and there is only one God? And the Word is not the Holy Spirit, who is also God?

Sounds like the Trinity to me.
                            No Trinity Sparko. Father, Son, Spirit converge in the fullness of time in Yeshua / Jesus. In order to place these in eternity past one would have to imagine flesh to be eternally existing there too. The Word made flesh is the man Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God. There is no other begotten Son. Begotten of woman not formed from the dust of the ground.

It's so very simple. Mary was his mother, true God was his Father. Hence, "...the Holy Spirit fell upon Mary and she became with child...". Don't you see, then, that the Holy Spirit is synonymous with the Father? ...and consider this miracle of all miracles through this lense: "...I knitted you together in your mother's womb...". Yeshua as a child encountered these words in a Synagogue and heard the voice of his Father (and ours), that He was speaking of him. Glorious!

In my heart and mind, Sparko, Yeshua, the Messiah, Son of the Living God is SOOOO far above the Trinitarian concept ...that I cannot even find the words. It means that when I finally see him face to face I will truly be like he is. A glorified man. The anointing I have from my Father has taught me these things.

Comment

No Trinity Sparko. Father, Son, Spirit converge in the fullness of time in Yeshua / Jesus. In order to place these in eternity past one would have to imagine flesh to be eternally existing there too. The Word made flesh is the man Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God. There is no other begotten Son. Begotten of woman not formed from the dust of the ground.

It's so very simple. Mary was his mother, true God was his Father. Hence, "...the Holy Spirit fell upon Mary and she became with child...". Don't you see, then, that the Holy Spirit is synonymous with the Father? ...and consider this miracle of all miracles through this lense: "...I knitted you together in your mother's womb...". Yeshua as a child encountered these words in a Synagogue and heard the voice of his Father (and ours), that He was speaking of him. Glorious!

In my heart and mind, Sparko, Yeshua, the Messiah, Son of the Living God is SOOOO far above the Trinitarian concept ...that I cannot even find the words. It means that when I finally see him face to face I will truly be like he is. A glorified man. The anointing I have from my Father has taught me these things.
                              Sorry, but the only "anointing" you have is of ignorance. The Holy Spirit is not the same as the Father.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Acts 5:3, 9 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?...Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

You've also made it so that the Word is nothing more than some kind of created demigod. You have The Word going from "was God", to "not God" once "the Word became flesh". This denies the meaning of the text, as well as Jesus' many claims to deity. You are picking and choosing verses to fit your ideas, and not taking all of the relevant information into account.

Previously you spoke of your wrath that you were experiencing when I suggested you look into the history and reasoning behind the doctrine of the Trinity. I'm speaking of how it goes all the way back to Genesis, and can even find support in Jewish philosophers like Philo. There are also many links to God's Wisdom and Jesus, some He claims for Himself. Based on your response we are speaking of entirely different things.

Comment

It means that when I finally see him face to face I will truly be like he is. A glorified man. The anointing I have from my Father has taught me these things.
                                Shouldn't this be in the Mormon forum?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X