Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 122

Thread: US federal climate change report warns of threat to US economy and lives

  1. #11
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,527
    Amen (Given)
    5481
    Amen (Received)
    5357
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassmoron View Post
    Don't you care?
    About your ad hominem and genetic fallacy? No, not really.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  2. #12
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,378
    Amen (Given)
    243
    Amen (Received)
    1379
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    The "rest of the story" from your ever so 'balanced' Breitbart report is from a blatant special interest group, The Heartland Institute. This is the same self-serving body that in the 1990s worked with Philip Morris to question or deny the health risks of secondhand smoke and to lobby against smoking bans. In the decade after 2000, the Heartland Institute became a leading supporter of climate change denial. It rejected the scientific consensus on global warming, and says that policies to fight it would be damaging to the economy. In short, like the president, the profit motive trumps the dire warnings of science re global warming. Don't you care?
    IOW - it is EXACTLY like the smoking industry etc.

    Jim
    There are no friends

  3. #13
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,378
    Amen (Given)
    243
    Amen (Received)
    1379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Or trying to manufacture it.

    As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, the rest of the story..."


    really? ?

    In CIVICs you did not reply to the facts mentioned in my post about the using pseudo-science graphs to make a point that isn't real about the US temperature data. And now you are using another pseudo-science groups conclusions to argue with the report.

    Now personally, the report seems a bit over the top, but nevertheless, it makes much more sense go to the actual science done by actual scientists and not propaganda 'research' funded by adversely affected industries. The point originally made is that a good deal of the push back against AGW is sourced in funding from the oil industry and perhaps others with a lot of money to lose IF we take AGW seriously.

    So why not move away from that sort of thing and look intelligently at what was said in the report itself and then look seriously at why it may or may not be over the top per the real research and data?

    Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-06-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    There are no friends

  4. #14
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,270
    Amen (Given)
    1739
    Amen (Received)
    1798
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    really? ?

    In CIVICs you did not reply to the facts mentioned in my post about the using pseudo-science graphs to make a point that isn't real about the US temperature data. And now you are using another pseudo-science groups conclusions to argue with the report.

    Now personally, the report seems a bit over the top, but nevertheless, it makes much more sense go to the actual science done by actual scientists and not propaganda 'research' funded by adversely affected industries. The point originally made is that a good deal of the push back against AGW is sourced in funding from the oil industry and perhaps others with a lot of money to lose IF we take AGW seriously.

    So why not move away from that sort of thing and look intelligently at what was said in the report itself and then look seriously at why it may or may not be over the top per the real research and data?

    Jim
    Meanwhile, big oil is investing Billions into alternative energy...so, they are helping with the solution regardless of their supposed stance on the AGW issue.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  5. #15
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,137
    Amen (Given)
    917
    Amen (Received)
    2748
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Meanwhile, big oil is investing Billions into alternative energy...so, they are helping with the solution regardless of their supposed stance on the AGW issue.
    My prediction has always been that the large shift in the energy sector will come from the established businesses.

  6. #16
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,913
    Amen (Given)
    2423
    Amen (Received)
    1738
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    About your ad hominem and genetic fallacy? No, not really.
    Don't you care that the profit motive trumps the dire warnings of science re global warming? Why are you so predisposed to reject global warming given the likely catastrophic consequences, as spelt out by the vast majority of scientists? You have yet to answer this?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  7. #17
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,730
    Amen (Given)
    2715
    Amen (Received)
    1650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Don't you care that the profit motive trumps the dire warnings of science re global warming? Why are you so predisposed to reject global warming given the likely catastrophic consequences, as spelt out by the vast majority of scientists? You have yet to answer this?
    I have to assume he's getting paid to do this, because nobody can be that stupid, can they?

  8. #18
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,913
    Amen (Given)
    2423
    Amen (Received)
    1738
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I have to assume he's getting paid to do this, because nobody can be that stupid, can they?
    Yes they can. I think he sees the pending global catastrophe as a sign of the end times and therefore to be helped along rather than prevented.

    " We can see the world is in crisis now with economic troubles, uprisings, riots, wars, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos erupting, "terrorism", famine. But there is yet another possible huge crisis to hit the world. This crisis to come upon the world will be the catalyst for the governments to bring on the mark of the beast. It could be another 9/11 type "terrorist" event, or a big natural disaster. Whatever it is, there is a big crisis coming".

    http://www.signs-of-end-times.com/en...cy-events.html
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  9. #19
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,378
    Amen (Given)
    243
    Amen (Received)
    1379
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Meanwhile, big oil is investing Billions into alternative energy...so, they are helping with the solution regardless of their supposed stance on the AGW issue.
    They have to. It is good they are doing it now. I doesn't change the fact they have been funding anti climate sites and research.

    Jim
    There are no friends

  10. #20
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,270
    Amen (Given)
    1739
    Amen (Received)
    1798
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    They have to.
    ummm...no, they don't....at least not yet. Between oil sands and fracking, they estimate we have many years of oil reserves
    It is good they are doing it now.
    agreed
    I doesn't change the fact they have been funding anti climate sites and research.

    Jim
    But doesn't it become much more of a moot point now?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •