Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Missionary Killed on Remote Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another interesting article about this from the NYTimes...

Retrieving Body of Missionary Killed on Remote Indian Island Is a Struggle

missionary.jpg

The fishermen who took him close enough to the island for him to kayak to shore have, reportedly, been arrested for "culpable homicide" by the Indian police.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Man Who Has Never Shared Jesus With Anyone Criticizes Slain Missionary's Lack Of Wisdomhttps://babylonbee.com/news/man-who-...lack-of-wisdom

I think the babylon bee has been reading tweb.

Comment

I don't like this writer...

foist his presence and beliefs on the Sentinelese tribe. For centuries they have lived on North Sentinel Island, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, hundreds of miles off the southeastern coast of India. Their lives are untouched by even a hint of modernity, and they do not welcome visitors. Ever.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/..._ReadMore_Pos1
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If a man dies flying a stunt plane or driving a race car, "he died doing what he loves".

If a man dies telling people about Jesus he's an arrogant idiot who deserved what he got.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            If a man dies flying a stunt plane or driving a race car, "he died doing what he loves".

If a man dies telling people about Jesus he's an arrogant idiot who deserved what he got.
            How could he have been telling them about Jesus? He didn't speak their language.

He has won a Darwin award, and is likely to be this year's champion.
            Last edited by Roy; 11-28-2018, 06:44 AM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              How could he have been telling them about Jesus? He didn't speak their language.
              There are a lot of things I don't understand about this, Roy.

Comment

I don't know if what he did was smart but he certainly had spiwit.

Comment

How did the anthropologist T.N. Pandit communicate with them when he visited them several times back in the 1960s through 90s?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    How did the anthropologist T.N. Pandit communicate with them when he visited them several times back in the 1960s through 90s?
                    He gave them coconuts and cookware.

Good luck telling some-one about Jesus using that method.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      There are a lot of things I don't understand about this, Roy.
                      Perhaps he thought God would give him the gift of tongues. It's not like that never happened in Christian history.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He gave them coconuts and cookware.

Good luck telling some-one about Jesus using that method.
                        It's how you make friends (we don't know if Chau also had gifts). Many folks have made contact with other people where there was a language barrier and eventually were able to communicate. I daresay a good number of missionaries in the past didn't know the language of the people they ran across.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It's how you make friends (we don't know if Chau also had gifts).
                          Apparently his journal records him having taken "scissors, safety pins, fish and a football." But no coconuts.
                          Many folks have made contact with other people where there was a language barrier and eventually were able to communicate. I daresay a good number of missionaries in the past didn't know the language of the people they ran across.
                          Undoubtedly. How is this relevant to some-one who died before the language barrier was breached?

Chau's journal apparently also records that he tried speaking to the islanders in English and Xhosa,* including quoting the Bible, so he was definitely trying to tell them about Jesus. He also went back after they shot at him. Pandit had more sense.

*which he probably wouldn't have bothered with if he believed in the gift of tongues
                          Last edited by Roy; 11-28-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Perhaps he thought God would give him the gift of tongues. It's not like that never happened in Christian history.
                            As I've shared, it happened in my living room with out South American / Mexican students.

Comment

Well, that shows what the voters think of proselytizing, if nothing else.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Yes, perhaps he was a bit daft. I guess whatever he thought, he was wrong, and now he's dead.

Comment