Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Advent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advent

What does Advent mean to you?

Do you celebrate it in your Church? Is it a big deal? Is it the 4 Sundays prior to Christmas, with each Sunday focused on an aspect of Advent?

Is it just something you do, or does it have deep meaning for you.

If you celebrate Advent, would you miss it if you didn't observe it in your Church?

What's all involved in celebrating Advent?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

My pre-Christmas preparations started with the Nativity fast, which begins on November 15 (since St. Phillip the Apostle is commemorated that day, it's also called the St. Phillip fast). Beginning November 21, we begin singing the Nativity canon at Matins on Sunday mornings:

Shortly thereafter, Nativity material appears in the Vespers service. The two Sundays before Nativity are dedicated to the Forefathers (Old Testament righteous) anf Fathers (Prophets, more or less). On December 20, the fast intensifies and each day from then until the Nativity has special music written for it; the services are largely modeled after Holy Week (the week before Pascha). On Christmas Eve, we celebrate the Royal Hours, which are the usual short services for 1st/3rd/6th/9th hour (7 AM, 9 AM, noon, 3 PM) augmented by special selections from the Psalms and Old and New Testament readings. Traditionally, nothing at all is eaten until the first star appears in the sky. If the full rubrics are followed (generally done only in monasteries), there would be a liturgy in the evening, followed by an all-night vigil (which even in monasteries does not typically last all night), followed by another liturgy in the morning. My parish usually just does the evening liturgy, followed by Christmas carols (since we're mostly converts, we borrow lots of carols from the West). We continue commemorating the Nativity until December 31. January 1, 8 days after Nativity, we commemorate the circumcision of Christ. January 2 begins the pre-feast of Theophany (baptism of Christ), on January 6. In other words, it's a whole lot of stuff happening in a short time period. There are special rubrics for the Sunday after Nativity (commemorating Joseph, David, and James) and for the Sunday before Theophany. It gets really crazy when January 1 is a Sunday, and several things are supposed to happen at once.

The Incarnation of Christ is celebrated on several different occasions, with various events linked to it: the Conception of Mary, Birth of Mary, Annunciation, and the Nativity itself (also related are the circumcision of Christ, the entrance of Mary into the Temple, and the presentation of the Lord in the Temple 40 days after his birth). It's a pretty big deal, but takes a clear back seat to the Resurrection.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have never celebrated it. It's a Catholic and Orthodox thing right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I used to think so, but the Lutheran congregation with whom we shared our building celebrated it, so I became familiar with it - and have since discovered there are even Baptist Churches that observe it to whatever degree.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any liturgical Protestant tradition is pretty likely to celebrate it as well.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I do remember getting those advent candy calendars when I was a kid. My mom was technically Catholic but we never went to church when I was a kid other than when we were at my Grandpa's who was a baptist minister.

Comment

We celebrated it in a couple of Baptist churches we attended. They had a ring of 5 candles, 3 purple, 1 pink and 1 white on in the middle of the ring.

Every week we had a reading and a family would light one of the candles. Depending on the year, the purple and pink candles represented various things. The shepherd candle, the wisemen candle, etc. Sometimes the candles represented joy, peace, love, etc. On Christmas Eve the white one in the middle (the Christ Child candle) was lighted, along with all the other candles.

It was ok. Could take it or leave it.

Edit to add: Looked like this. Add the white candle in the center and that's pretty much what we had.

advent wreath.jpg
              Last edited by mossrose; 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Can any none liturgical oriented believer explain to me the point of celebrating Advent? We did the little calendar thing with our kids. To me it was just a way to add a bit more Christ into Christmas for kids. What else is it?
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Can any none liturgical oriented believer explain to me the point of celebrating Advent? We did the little calendar thing with our kids. To me it was just a way to add a bit more Christ into Christmas for kids. What else is it?

We did the little advent calendar when the kids were little, in fact we still do that. But as for doing it in church, as I said, I could take it or leave it. It was just more ritual that was unnecessary, imo.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    To me (and I'm new to this) it's a way of placing more spiritual emphasis on the Christmas season where so much time and effort and money is spent on the commercial aspect. It's kinda like when we're having "Lord's Supper Sunday" (every other month) - I like to begin preparing for it at least a week or two ahead, so it's not just something we "show up for" and do out of habit.

Comment

And Anglican/Episcopalian.

But not Reformed or “low” Church/Evangelical - unless the Evangelical is an Anglican. I don’t whether Methodists observe it at all.

Comment