Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Dawn of Interplanetary Geology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dawn of Interplanetary Geology

The Dawn of Interplanetary Geology

mars insight.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Source: NASA's InSight lander has touched down on Mars

After seven months of traveling through space, the NASA InSight mission has landed on Mars. A few minutes after landing, InSight sent the official "beep" to NASA to signal that it was alive and well, including a photo of the Martian surface where it landed.

Mission Control at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory exploded into celebratory applause and cheers after the touchdown was confirmed. The landing was watched around the world and even broadcast live on the Nasdaq Stock Market tower in New York City's Times Square.

"Today, we successfully landed on Mars for the eighth time in human history," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said. "InSight will study the interior of Mars and will teach us valuable science as we prepare to send astronauts to the Moon and later to Mars. This accomplishment represents the ingenuity of America and our international partners, and it serves as a testament to the dedication and perseverance of our team. The best of NASA is yet to come, and it is coming soon."

InSight, or Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport, is going to explore a part of Mars that we know the least about: its deep interior. It launched May 5. InSight will spend two years investigating the interior where the building blocks below the planet's surface recorded its history.

To reach Mars, InSight cruised 301,223,981 miles at a top speed of 6,200 miles per hour in space, followed by two cube satellites. The suitcase-size spacecraft, called MarCO, are the first cube satellites to fly into deep space. MarCO shared data about InSight when it entered the Martian atmosphere for the landing.

"We've studied Mars from orbit and from the surface since 1965, learning about its weather, atmosphere, geology and surface chemistry," said Lori Glaze, acting director of the Planetary Science Division in NASA's Science Mission Directorate. "Now we finally will explore inside Mars and deepen our understanding of our terrestrial neighbor as NASA prepares to send human explorers deeper into the solar system."

The landingSource

© Copyright Original Source

[*The story continues with "what happens next" at the link above and includes loads of great images throughout*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What is this? A thread that is not about politics?

Comment

Yes. Yes, it is.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yes. Yes, it is.
          Is that allowed?

--
          I hear Elon Musk said there is a 70% chance that he will move to Mars.

I hope he takes the rest of California with him.

There. back on track!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Is that allowed?

--
            I hear Elon Musk said there is a 70% chance that he will move to Mars.

I hope he takes the rest of California with him.
            Every once in a while, I find something that I find interesting that doesn't seem to be a flashpoint for controversy, but something we can just sit back and say .... wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Every once in a while, I find something that I find interesting that doesn't seem to be a flashpoint for controversy, but something we can just sit back and say .... wow.
              I wish I could go into space.

Comment

I took two Benadryl the other night - I visited other planets.

Comment

We just need to go to Mars in person and do some good old fashioned 'splorin.

Comment

I might know a guy who can help you with that

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I might know a guy who can help you with that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33338[/ATTACH]
                      Can you imagine if they had a comedy with that in it today?

Comment

Same here.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Same here.
                          I wish I could go into space. Just to get away from that noise.

Comment

00000000000000ar0000.jpg

Comment

Don't like 4-part harmony?
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment