Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White liberals talk down to minorities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Hillary's various accents catering to her audiences are my favorites.
    Yup. She would suddenly have a Southern accent when she would campaign south of the Mason Dixon line and then it would vanish until the next trip when she would go back north. And then there's this:

Of course Al Gore was hardly better. It was amazing to hear how much he would suddenly start sounding like a stereotypical Southern black preacher every time he stepped into a black church to campaign.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]33405[/ATTACH]
      FIFY n/c
      Attached Files

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        ...It was amazing to hear how much he would suddenly start sounding like a stereotypical Southern black preacher every time he stepped into a black church to campaign.
        Um.... that just happens.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Um.... that just happens.
          I've noticed that most people tend to start sounding more like the group they are with over time, but turning it on and off like a light switch like that... Well, not so much. It almost seems disingenuous and a tad bit phony

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I've noticed that most people tend to start sounding more like the group they are with over time, but turning it on and off like a light switch like that... Well, not so much. It almost seems disingenuous and a tad bit phony
            Yes sir. When you're preaching to a black audience, and they start preaching back at you.... ... it gets fun!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is also entirely possible that the consistent denial that racism exists by the right...
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Strikes me as a bit arbitrary, especially given the relatively small sample size of speeches they were working with. Given their small sample size, somewhat subjective methodology, and very small size of the different in the results data, I'm unconvinced they've observed anything real.

Better, IMO, would have been using standard vocabulary analyses of the speeches: Did the candidates "use small words" when talking to black people with the implication that they thought black people wouldn't understand the "big words" they usually used? At least vocab measures are standard objective numerical measures that analyse the entire speech rather than focusing on guessing how much a few words within the speech relate to warmth or not.

Is it your view that when the Black Evangelical congregations go out and vote Democratic, that they don't read the Bible?
                Where do you think most black conservatives come from Star? Black evangelical churches are usually pretty socially conservative.

When they do vote democratic, it is many times from a very 'far right' end of the Democrat spectrum.

Of course you do have a lot of so-called-Christian black activists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Comment

I guess I'm not clear why this is in any way surprising. Implicit bias very likely infects us all to one degree or another. When we are steeped in a culture with the kind of racist roots that America is steeped in, it is next to impossible NOT to have any kind of racial bias whatsoever. I say this as the father of two black children - and despite my long life with both (22 years now) and my love for both of them, I am often reminded of the many ways in which I still struggle with racial bias.

Expecting ANY white person in America to function with absolutely no racial bias is something like cooking a chicken in a pot of bleach and expecting it NOT to taste like bleach.
                  Did you read the article? It said that conservatives DON'T patronize blacks like the liberals do.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                    Way to avoid answering the question. It's a question I've been considering asking for some time, and was wondering about starting a thread on it, but it seems to fit here...

A lot of white US Evangelicals (including many on this forum) perceive their political vote for Republican candidates / against Democratic ones, to in some way tie to their religious views, and are often quite vocal about the connection even in religious settings. A lot of black US Evangelical churches go out and vote en-masse for Democratic candidates, and often as a whole church they make a trip to the polls. So, for posters in this forum who vote a particular way because of their faith, how do you think about voters who vote the opposite way to you who have much the same faith (e.g US Evangelical)?
                    We have liberal Christians right here on staff Star. Most "liberal" Christians are pretty far "right" when it comes to biblical social issues, like abortion, homosexuality, etc. Being a Democrat doesn't exclude someone from being a Christian, even to us evil conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Where do you think most black conservatives come from Star? Black evangelical churches are usually pretty socially conservative.

When they do vote democratic, it is many times from a very 'far right' end of the Democrat spectrum.
                      I used to work with a lot of black evangelicals who reliably voted Democrat but were morally and socially conservative.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I used to work with a lot of black evangelicals who reliably voted Democrat but were morally and socially conservative.
                        Heck even in my white bread family I have cousins who always vote democratic but are as conservative as I am. One of my Democratic cousins even told me that were thinking of changing parties after this last election and seeing how all of the far left had taken over the Democratic party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          That is true, I worked with quite a few black evangelicals in prison ministry back in the 90s, and they were all big Clinton supporters. But when it came to the bible studies, with mostly black prisoners, they were fire and brimstone - they did not pull punches, right from Scripture.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            That is true, I worked with quite a few black evangelicals in prison ministry back in the 90s, and they were all big Clinton supporters. But when it came to the bible studies, with mostly black prisoners, they were fire and brimstone - they did not pull punches, right from Scripture.
                            I find it kind of of racist for Starlight to even suggest that all blacks are the same.

Just like we have white conservative and liberal Christians, and within "liberal" we have those who are conservative morally and socially and those who are not... we have the same thing among Black Christians.

Comment

I find it kind of of racist for Starlight to even suggest that all blacks are the same.
                              That's fairly typical among liberals. Look at how they react when a black person dares leave the plantation they established for them. They're accused of not being a True Black person and worse.

Comment

Typical leftist ideals...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment