Thread: HP has finally done it....

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

HP has finally done it....

I like to make things as simple as possible with regards to IT, like standardizing on the same model printer at the various places I visit and over which I have IT responsibility.

I had standardized on the HP OfficeJet 8600 "all-in-one", so we use the same ink, same drivers, familiarity with the operation of the printer is the same, etc....

We had, from time to time, used "Brand X" ink, but HP made it almost impossible to use any other ink than their own, as the printer would identify "Not a Genuine HP ink cartridge".

OK, they had us, so we went back to using the slightly more expensive "genuine HP" ink....

Then, late this summer, the printers - ALL of them - began rejecting ANY ink cartridges as acceptable - even the ones that were "genuine HP".

We contacted HP (boy, THAT was a process) and could never get a satisfactory answer, even though our secretary ordered ink directly from one of the customer service reps to whom she spoke.

I know of no more perverse "planned obsolescence" examples than this, and we ended up pitching all of our HP printers and switching to Epson.

I plan on never buying anything from HP ever again.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I worked for HP for 7 years as a bench tech. And...the ineptitude of the leadership is absolutely mind boggling. Hewlett and Packard were geniuses, and innovated many business practices that are still used today...but the CEO's after them were pretty much clueless and have run what was once a GREAT company into the ground.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I worked for HP for 7 years as a bench tech. And...the ineptitude of the leadership is absolutely mind boggling. Hewlett and Packard were geniuses, and innovated many business practices that are still used today...but the CEO's after them were pretty much clueless and have run what was once a GREAT company into the ground.
    I was kinda checking out the HP story on the web, and there are a couple (mostly Reddit) articles claiming that "failure dates" are programmed into the firmware of the printers upon manufacture - others claim that the "failure date" is introduced when firmware is updated --- I kinda doubt that because I suspect most people never update the firmware on their printers or routers.

And, yeah, years ago, I used to use HP switches and servers - but pretty much abandoned that due to tech support issues.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By the way, our Church switched to the Epson Workforce 7720, which does the "all-in-one" thing, as WELL as the ability to print 11x17!

The paper trays are a little awkward to fill, and the printer itself is a bit big and bulky and heavy for a desktop, but all in all, it was reasonably priced and has been doing a great job since late last summer.

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I use HP mostly because I won't go back to Lexmark . I don't recall ever using Epson...but maybe...I went through printers many moons ago and use only HP and Canon although that last may change...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have a Brother MFC-9130CW Color laser all-in-one. I love the thing. it was only $300 too. I have it at work.

At home I have an HP-CP1525CW color laser printer. Been using the toner cartridges that came with it for nearly 3 years now and it is just now complaining that I need to replace the black. I don't do much printing at home though.

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh goodness Brother is still in business?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Oh goodness Brother is still in business?
    Sure. Are you interested in a wonderful dot matrix printer?