Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

HP has finally done it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP has finally done it....

I like to make things as simple as possible with regards to IT, like standardizing on the same model printer at the various places I visit and over which I have IT responsibility.

I had standardized on the HP OfficeJet 8600 "all-in-one", so we use the same ink, same drivers, familiarity with the operation of the printer is the same, etc....

We had, from time to time, used "Brand X" ink, but HP made it almost impossible to use any other ink than their own, as the printer would identify "Not a Genuine HP ink cartridge".

OK, they had us, so we went back to using the slightly more expensive "genuine HP" ink....

Then, late this summer, the printers - ALL of them - began rejecting ANY ink cartridges as acceptable - even the ones that were "genuine HP".

We contacted HP (boy, THAT was a process) and could never get a satisfactory answer, even though our secretary ordered ink directly from one of the customer service reps to whom she spoke.

I know of no more perverse "planned obsolescence" examples than this, and we ended up pitching all of our HP printers and switching to Epson.

I plan on never buying anything from HP ever again.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I worked for HP for 7 years as a bench tech. And...the ineptitude of the leadership is absolutely mind boggling. Hewlett and Packard were geniuses, and innovated many business practices that are still used today...but the CEO's after them were pretty much clueless and have run what was once a GREAT company into the ground.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      I worked for HP for 7 years as a bench tech. And...the ineptitude of the leadership is absolutely mind boggling. Hewlett and Packard were geniuses, and innovated many business practices that are still used today...but the CEO's after them were pretty much clueless and have run what was once a GREAT company into the ground.
      I was kinda checking out the HP story on the web, and there are a couple (mostly Reddit) articles claiming that "failure dates" are programmed into the firmware of the printers upon manufacture - others claim that the "failure date" is introduced when firmware is updated --- I kinda doubt that because I suspect most people never update the firmware on their printers or routers.

And, yeah, years ago, I used to use HP switches and servers - but pretty much abandoned that due to tech support issues.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By the way, our Church switched to the Epson Workforce 7720, which does the "all-in-one" thing, as WELL as the ability to print 11x17!

The paper trays are a little awkward to fill, and the printer itself is a bit big and bulky and heavy for a desktop, but all in all, it was reasonably priced and has been doing a great job since late last summer.

Comment

I use HP mostly because I won't go back to Lexmark . I don't recall ever using Epson...but maybe...I went through printers many moons ago and use only HP and Canon although that last may change...
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I have a Brother MFC-9130CW Color laser all-in-one. I love the thing. it was only $300 too. I have it at work.

At home I have an HP-CP1525CW color laser printer. Been using the toner cartridges that came with it for nearly 3 years now and it is just now complaining that I need to replace the black. I don't do much printing at home though.

Comment

Oh goodness Brother is still in business?
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Oh goodness Brother is still in business?
                Sure. Are you interested in a wonderful dot matrix printer?

Comment

I had my HP 6100P laser printer start telling me to install an HP toner cartridge. So I install a compatible one and it says "Nope, needs to be HP." So I install a new HP cartridge and it says "Please install an HP toner cartridge." So I switched to Brother...

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Unfortunate experiences have pushed me to Brother as first choice, with Canon coming in a close second. For a laser printer, Brother. Ink-jets, it can go either way.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Unfortunate experiences have pushed me to Brother as first choice, with Canon coming in a close second. For a laser printer, Brother. Ink-jets, it can go either way.
                      FYI, HP printers are made almost exclusively by Canon...
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Didn't know that ... my only experience with HP was (if I remember rightly) way back in the when: the replacement for an 8 pin DMP (with true descenders even!). Maybe such things as quality control have improved during the interim.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I don't believe we have any experience with HP printers, but in the last few years they've made some pretty good computers. Though our first HP computer years ago with Windows ME wasn't very good, their computers we more recently use which came with Windows 7 & 8 have given us no trouble that I remember.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            I don't believe we have any experience with HP printers, but in the last few years they've made some pretty good computers. Though our first HP computer years ago with Windows ME wasn't very good, the computers we more recently use which came with Windows 7 & 8 have given us no trouble that I remember.
                            The problem was probably Windows ME...it was terrible on any computer...

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                              I had my HP 6100P laser printer start telling me to install an HP toner cartridge. So I install a compatible one and it says "Nope, needs to be HP." So I install a new HP cartridge and it says "Please install an HP toner cartridge." So I switched to Brother...

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Yup - I used to LOVE my HP printers - way back to the Deskjet 500.

And HP LaserJets, and OfficeJets....

But I hear from many many people this goofy "install genuine HP ink / toner...."

I'm all done with HP products.

Comment