Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska - Earthquake and Tsunami?

alaska.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Big shaker....7.0. Don't we have some Alaskans on here?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Big shaker....7.0. Don't we have some Alaskans on here?
      We do - several.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alaska-...-live-updates/

Jed is in Alaska. Not sure what part but I think it is not too far from Anchorage.

Comment

Yes I believe Jed is close by Anchorage! Remember he moved recently?

Comment

The Good Friday quake had hit Anchorage in 1964. The film we watched was scary. Hope all is well!

Comment

The Good Friday quake had hit Anchorage in 1964. The film we watched was scary. Hope all is well!
              Yeah, we were in elementary school* when we heard about that, and our class collected all kinds of stuff to send to the kids in Alaska - we had a picture of a particular school building that was absolutely demolished. That was my very first "OK, there's been a major tragedy - let's DO SOMETHING" moment.

I'll never forget my teacher, Mrs Ludlow, talked about it, led us in prayer for it, then explained that "a lot of times, we say there's nothing we can do but pray - but here's something we can do...." And she and a couple other teachers organized the effort.

*Being Good Friday, it was probably the next week, but it was in our "Weekly Reader".

Comment

yeah Jed said he moved to Anchorage in July. Just checked his moving thread in the Prof lounge.

I have a cousin who lives near there too. I dont know if she is there now or not, she travels a lot and was in Kentucky or Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and might still be there.

Comment

I'm about 140 miles SW of Anchorage and I didn't feel anything this morning - although some here said the snow got knocked off the tops of the trees.

I've heard that the bridge at Eagle River is down which means the main highway out of Anchorage to the rest of Alaska and the outside is cut; also heard that Anchorage International airport is closed as well. My wife and daughter are in Anchorage getting ready to fly down to the lower 48 tomorrow and they said it was a pretty wild ride. Fun fact - this is the fifth 7+ magnitude earthquake my wife has experienced in her life.
                  We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Glad you are safe, zimm!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Glad you are safe, zimm!
                      Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                        I'm about 140 miles SW of Anchorage and I didn't feel anything this morning - although some here said the snow got knocked off the tops of the trees.

I've heard that the bridge at Eagle River is down which means the main highway out of Anchorage to the rest of Alaska and the outside is cut; also heard that Anchorage International airport is closed as well. My wife and daughter are in Anchorage getting ready to fly down to the lower 48 tomorrow and they said it was a pretty wild ride. Fun fact - this is the fifth 7+ magnitude earthquake my wife has experienced in her life.
                        Wow. Glad your family is safe.

You mean Anchorage has NO other main roads? That's scary.

Comment

Wow. Glad your family is safe.

You mean Anchorage has NO other main roads? That's scary.
                          Yep, at least from Anchorage to the rest of the state. Of course I live off the road system anyway so this doesn't seem out of the normal for me.
                          If the bridge is in fact out, it's about where I put the red arrow just NE of Anchorage.

Alaska-1024x779.jpg

edit - IIRC Jed lives in Peter's Creek which is beyond the Eagle River bridge from Anchorage.

Comment

Tsunami warning canceled for Kenai Peninsula communities

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              yeah Jed said he moved to Anchorage in July. Just checked his moving thread in the Prof lounge.

I have a cousin who lives near there too. I dont know if she is there now or not, she travels a lot and was in Kentucky or Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and might still be there.
                              We did just move into Anchorage from Peter's Creek. This was the most violent shake I have experienced in all my years. Things fell off shelve and such. I was, and still am. under the weather so aside from a few things falling rpm shelves all I got was some heavy shaking. It terrified our dog. We are still getting after shakes, one just hit as I was typing.

Well I just wanted to touch base. Off to bed in just a moment.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment