Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future and Direction of the GOP

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Future and Direction of the GOP

I found this article interesting. One quote, in particular, jumped out at me. It's from Larry Hogan, the GOP governor of Maryland:

If you’re going to be a majority party, you’ve got to appeal to a majority of people.

It seems to me that this is a dilemma for the GOP. It is faced with the choice between adhering to its "core values," many of which are no longer supported by the majority of the country, or shifting its stance to align with the majority of the country so as to attract a broader base.

There is little doubt in my mind that Trumpism, while it has rallied a significant chunk of the Republican party, has actually alienated part of a party that is already well below the majority. It has also rallied Democrats and independent progressives and liberals as much as it has Republicans and independent conservatives.

I'm curious to know how others see this dilemma?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Which of the core values do you think the GOP needs to abandon or soften?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Which of the core values do you think the GOP needs to abandon or soften?
    Well, the majority of Americans:

1) Want stricter gun control laws (69%)
    2) Support gay marriage (67%) and LGBTQ rights (72%)
    3) Want a "medicare-for-all" single-payer model (70%)
    4) Want a balanced federal budget (89%)

Republicans appear to be largely against 1-3, and their actions (though not their words) are against #4. To be fair, Democrats do not fare any better with #4. They talk a good game - until they are in power. Then it's the same-old-same-old.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I found this article interesting. One quote, in particular, jumped out at me. It's from Larry Hogan, the GOP governor of Maryland:

If you’re going to be a majority party, you’ve got to appeal to a majority of people.

It seems to me that this is a dilemma for the GOP. It is faced with the choice between adhering to its "core values," many of which are no longer supported by the majority of the country, or shifting its stance to align with the majority of the country so as to attract a broader base.

There is little doubt in my mind that Trumpism, while it has rallied a significant chunk of the Republican party, has actually alienated part of a party that is already well below the majority. It has also rallied Democrats and independent progressives and liberals as much as it has Republicans and independent conservatives.

I'm curious to know how others see this dilemma?
    Actually I think the reason Trump won was because he appealed to the actual GOP core values where many of the Republican candidates did not. Like traditional marriage, border protection, jobs, capitalism, God and country. MAGA.

5. Amen Bill the Cat, RumTumTugger, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Republicans appear to be largely against 1-3, and their actions (though not their words) are against #4. To be fair, Democrats do not fare any better with #4. They talk a good game - until they are in power. Then it's the same-old-same-old.
    Did you actually READ the article you posted?

It wasn't about those issues - it was basically that Trump is a jackass who alienates wide swaths of the populace, and I concur.

So, again --- FROM YOUR ARTICLE --- what are the core values that the GOP needs to jettison or downplay?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

You seem to be listening to the liberal bubble.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You seem to be listening to the liberal bubble.
    I think JimL may have turned him onto the "Liberal Talking Points for Dummies".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think JimL may have turned him onto the "Liberal Talking Points for Dummies".
    As the liberals found out during the last election, a lot of these polls are wrong because a lot of conservatives don't like to broadcast their values, they just live them. But during elections or when the values are threatened they show up in numbers.

So when I see a poll that says most people want stricter gun control I figure they either didn't ask the right people, or the questions were so skewed as to get the answer they wanted. Like "Are you for keeping our children safe from being shot in the streets?" "of course!" and they get marked down as wanting more gun control. or something like that.

10. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Republicans are NOT against #1.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...kground-checks

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

12. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Usually when they say "stricter gun control laws" they mean bans and restrictions on ownership though. Like making AR-15s illegal.