Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Future and Direction of the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did you actually READ the article you posted?

It wasn't about those issues - it was basically that Trump is a jackass who alienates wide swaths of the populace, and I concur.

So, again --- FROM YOUR ARTICLE --- what are the core values that the GOP needs to jettison or downplay?
    CP - I didn't say my list was from the article. I read the article - was struct by that line, and that was the topic of this thread. If the Republican party wants to be the party of the majority, then it stands to reason they are going to have to represent the majority. If not, then all those they stand against will go elsewhere. This is not a difficult concept. You asked me what core values I thought that was, and I gave you my list. I looked up the statistics as I created the list, but I already knew these were majority opinions within the U.S.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You seem to be listening to the liberal bubble.
      If you have sources that suggest otherwise, Sparko - I am happy to look at them. I found several sources for each statistic and posted the average of them.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think JimL may have turned him onto the "Liberal Talking Points for Dummies".
        Nice. Well done, CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          As the liberals found out during the last election, a lot of these polls are wrong because a lot of conservatives don't like to broadcast their values, they just live them. But during elections or when the values are threatened they show up in numbers.

So when I see a poll that says most people want stricter gun control I figure they either didn't ask the right people, or the questions were so skewed as to get the answer they wanted. Like "Are you for keeping our children safe from being shot in the streets?" "of course!" and they get marked down as wanting more gun control. or something like that.
          So basically, if the poll doesn't align with what you believe, you just toss it out and assume it is wrong.

And then you think that I am living in a bubble?

Sparko - if I were living in a bubble...I wouldn't be here...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Background checks are one issue, BTC, and not exactly what most people seem to think of when they think "gun control." But thanks for sharing this page. I had not seen this article before.

Now - if Republicans are for it - and Democrats are for it - and the population at large is for it - can someone explain to me why we do not have universal and stricter background checks?

Comment

If you hate the process so much... move.
              Or, do like the other liberals - THREATEN to move, then renege!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                CP - I didn't say my list was from the article.....
                Gotcha.... you had your little speech in mind, and found an article you could use as a diving board, regardless of the fact it had nothing to do with .....

OK!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Although Trump did indeed pay lip service to many such things, from what I see, Trump won mostly because:

1) He wasn't Hillary
                  True dat.
                  2) He tapped and stoked right-wing anger and hatred against immigrants, Muslims, Democrats, liberals, and anything else he could get the right to jump on vilifying.
                  I think he called them a basket full of irredeemable deplorables or something like that
                  3) He made a long list of promises he didn't (and doesn't) have a prayer of fulfilling, related to jobs, border walls, etc. (i.e., he was and is a con man).
                  While that could be said about any candidate he has also kept a great many of his election promises. This from a piece by Marc Thiessen covers a number of them:

Trump kept his promise to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, something his three immediate predecessors also promised yet failed to do. He promised to “crush and destroy ISIS,” and two years later he is on the verge of eliminating Islamic State’s physical caliphate. He promised to impose a travel ban on countries that he saw as posing a terrorist threat, and after several false starts the final version of his ban was upheld by the Supreme Court.

Trump pledged to nominate Supreme Court justices “in the mold of Justice (Antonin) Scalia,” and now Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh sit on the high court. Trump also pledged to fill the federal appellate courts with young, conservative judges, and so far the Senate has confirmed 29 — more than any recent president at this point in his administration.

Trump promised to cancel President Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan, withdraw from the Paris climate accord, approve the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, and open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to exploration. He fulfilled all of those pledges.

On trade, he kept his promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and impose tariffs on steel and aluminum. He also committed to renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement and the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement — and recently signed new deals with Mexico, Canada and South Korea. He committed to imposing tariffs on China to force it to open its markets and stop its theft of intellectual property — and is following through on that pledge. Whatever one thinks of Trump’s trade policies, he is doing exactly what he said.

Where Trump has failed to keep promises, such as building the wall or repealing Obamacare, it has not been for a lack of trying. Only in a few rare instances has he backtracked on a campaign pledge — such as when he admitted that he was wrong to promise a complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan and reversed course. I’m glad he did.

There's others like tax cuts, repealing a bunch of other Obama era regulations, net neutrality, and canceling Obama's deal with Iran. There are others he is still trying to get through like canceling federal funding to sanctuary cities and bringing back manufacturing jobs to the U.S.

4) He outplayed the Clinton campaign in the electoral college
                  That's kind of like saying he won by winning.
                  5) The leak of Comey's last minute letter to Congress that he was reopening the investigation into the email due to the Weiner computer.
                  If Comey hadn't already decided to completely exonerate her before seeing the evidence against her then there wouldn't have been any last minute re-opening of the investigation. IOW, it never should have been summarily closed in the first place.
                  6) SCOTUS
                  And I thank God for that.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 12-01-2018, 04:34 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    So running up the vote in liberal states is a key to victory Jimmy?
                    No, having a huge majority in a democracy is the key to finally throwing the cheating monied conservative puppets, who abuse the system, and take advantage of the ignorant, in order to win and serve their cooporate bosses, out of power.

Comment

If you hate the process so much... move.
                      No, I think we will just fix the process and then when you no longer like the legitimate results of democracy.....you can move.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        No, having a huge majority in a democracy is the key to finally throwing the cheating monied conservative puppets, who abuse the system, and take advantage of the ignorant, in order to win and serve their cooporate bosses, out of power.
                        That’s entertaining because what party wants lots of cheap labor sent from south of the boarder? I also wasn’t aware playing by rules you don’t like is ‘cheating’. The idea that the majority can’t force their will on the minority is a feature of the constitution, not a bug. The constitution is about defending the rights of the minority too.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, I think we will just fix the process and then when you no longer like the legitimate results of democracy.....you can move.
                          AKA when Jimmy can force you to do what he wants, things will be fine in Jimmy land because nothing bad ever happens by the majority forcing its will on a smaller group.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The process is fine as it is Jimmy. Nothing needs fixing. It's worked for hundreds of years. You're just butthurt that it worked right against your pant-suited wunderfemme.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Background checks are one issue, BTC, and not exactly what most people seem to think of when they think "gun control." But thanks for sharing this page. I had not seen this article before.
                              Actually, yes. That's one of 2 things that are typically meant when gun control is mentioned. Background checks and a ban on assault style weapons.

Now - if Republicans are for it - and Democrats are for it - and the population at large is for it - can someone explain to me why we do not have universal and stricter background checks?
                              Because the left is demanding more than just background checks and refuses to budge on the compromise. The right has offered to compromise on UBCs, but not a national registry, which is another less-publicized sticking point.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The process is fine as it is Jimmy. Nothing needs fixing. It's worked for hundreds of years. You're just butthurt that it worked right against your pant-suited wunderfemme.
                                Bernie is a crossdresser?

Comment