Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Strange seismic waves that rippled around world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange seismic waves that rippled around world...

....leave scientists bewildered. So are we all doomed?

Just before 9.30am on Sunday 11 November, a series of unusual seismic pulses rippled around the world almost undetected.

The waves rang for over 20 minutes, emanating about 15 miles off the shores of Mayotte - a tiny island in the Indian Ocean between Madagascar and Africa.

From here, they reverberated across Africa, setting off geological sensors in Zambia, Kenya, and Ethiopia.
    Watch more

Volcano of Fire eruption sends boiling rock flying almost two miles

They crossed the Atlantic, and were picked up in Chile, New Zealand, Canada, and even Hawaii nearly 11,000 miles away, the National Geographic reports.

Despite their huge range, the waves were apparently not felt by anybody. However, one person monitoring the US Geological Survey’s live stream of seismogram displays did notice the unusual waveform and posted it to Twitter, sparking the interest of other geologists and earthquake enthusiasts.

Twitter user @matarikipax posted the waveforms, describing it in the first instance as “a most odd and unusual seismic signal”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8659236.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

weird
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        ....leave scientists bewildered. So are we all doomed?
        Could mossy have fallen outta bed again? The last time that happened it caused the Big Bang.

She's not gonna see this is she? smiley hide.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Chicken Little is on the loose again.

Actually these events are not new nor mysterious. It has been a while since my college courses related to on the subject, but these events originate deep in the earth associated with the boundary of the mantle and the core. They result in low velocity seismic waves that may be detected world wide. I will check sources and give more information.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-01-2018, 07:27 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Chicken Little is on the loose again.

Actually these events are not new nor mysterious. It has been a while since my college courses related to on the subject, but these events originate deep in the earth associated with the boundary of the mantle and the core. They result in low velocity seismic waves that may be detected world wide. I will check sources and give more information.
            Magma shifts are the likely cause.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Magma shifts are the likely cause.
              I wonder if it had anything to do with the quake in Alaska?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                I wonder if it had anything to do with the quake in Alaska?
                No, these are much deeper low velocity waves not easily detectable at the surface. Rogue is probably right on one of the probable causes is magma shifts at the boundary between the mantle and core. Also possibly related to the deep convection currents in the mantle, which eventually bring the heat and magma up into the spreading sea floor in the mid ocean ridges.

The Alaska earth quake is directly related to the collision and subduction of the oceanic plate with the continental plates around the 'ring of fire.'
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment