Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I wasn't going to ask this on this thread, but then I noticed that part of the thread went into a discussion of the "NOMSM" (nasty old MSM), so I figured side discussions were not verboten - and we ARE in the civics forum.

So...I'm just wondering what the reaction from those who are more evangelical and more "right" is to this news story and the others like it. Trump's entire posture during the entire service seemed to me to scream "don't want to be here" and he engaged essentially not at all with the service. Yet this is the hero of the evangelical movement. Thoughts?
    I don't think Trump wanted to be there.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

...Yet this is the hero of the evangelical movement. ...
      Please castigate yourself for making the kind of ignorant broadsweeping statements that you pretend to hate.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        First off, I detest funerals. They generally creep me out and I withdraw. Maybe he hates them too? Second, just because someone doesn't recite the Apostle's Creed doesn't make them a bad person. He may not have even known the words... We don't know.
        Baptists are not creedal people - we don't recite the creed, and it feels odd to do so.

Comment

Trump's entire posture during the entire service seemed to me to scream "don't want to be here"...
          Let's be honest, who really wants to be at a funeral?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Trump, being the narcissist that he is, would probably only be happy attending his own funeral.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I wasn't going to ask this on this thread, but then I noticed that part of the thread went into a discussion of the "NOMSM" (nasty old MSM), so I figured side discussions were not verboten - and we ARE in the civics forum.

So...I'm just wondering what the reaction from those who are more evangelical and more "right" is to this news story and the others like it. Trump's entire posture during the entire service seemed to me to scream "don't want to be here" and he engaged essentially not at all with the service. Yet this is the hero of the evangelical movement. Thoughts?
              I doubt that he wanted to be there.

Anyone else notice the Clinton's pretending not to hear him say hello to them, especially Hillary, who stared rigidly ahead?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Please castigate yourself for making the kind of ignorant broadsweeping statements that you pretend to hate.
                You mean like this?
                It is also entirely possible that the consistent denial that racism exists by the right shields them, to some degree, from this effect.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Baptists are not creedal people - we don't recite the creed, and it feels odd to do so.
                  We even have a creed that says so

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Anyone else notice the Clinton's pretending not to hear him say hello to them, especially Hillary, who stared rigidly ahead?
                    Barack Obama seemed quite genuine and gracious when he greeted Trump; Michelle O, not so much. Now either Barack is not who I think he is, or he's simply better at faking it.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That was much more obvious, I think.

Comment

We even have a creed that says so

We have a "Baptist Faith & Message" which spells out what we believe, just like a creed, but it's not a creed, cause we're not a creedal people! I think the Creed even says that!

Comment

If Trump doesn't believe in the Apostle's Creed, why should he say it? I don't know if he believes it or not, but if he doesn't, then he is right not to hypocritically repeat the words.

Which beggars the question: Why did Obama and the Clintons repeat the Creed if they also don't believe in it? I find it worse for someone who doesn't believe to say the words than for someone who doesn't believe to not say the words.

I also think it's a really stupid thing for the media and anybody else to pick up on. Haters going to hate, I suppose, and have to nitpick the smallest things.

Like the Pharisees who strained out gnats and swallowed camels.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I just watched the 21 plane fly over. This whole week just reminds how well the United States does solemn ceremonies like this.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yeah, I suppose they should have been more gracious to the tyrant who wants to lock Hillary up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Yeah, I suppose they should have been more gracious to the tyrant who wants to lock Hillary up.
                                He was being gracious to the despot who rigged the phony primaries and paid to have a document fabricated that was used as the pretext for the whole special prosecutor investigation.

Comment