Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Right on cue, such a predictable response!
    Because you're such a Drama Queen, Tass. And your big empty head is loose and rolling around again.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Evangelicals voted for this lying, immoral buffoon solely because he panders to their desire to stack the courts with conservatives judges and justices with the ultimate aim of overtiring abortion and LGBT Laws. So, it must have come as a rude shock that Trump's candidate Kavanaugh failed in his duty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8676916.html

And after all you did for him.
      While it is of course possible that Kavanaugh will be more liberal than Kennedy on the general subject of abortion (contrariwise, he could be more conservative, or be exactly the same), declining to take up this case says essentially nothing about it. Actually, it's dubious to me whether not taking up a case says much of anything at all, but says even less in this particular case due to its circumstances.

The case here, as I understand it, has been blown considerably out of proportion. It was simply concerning whether individual Medicare recipients can bring a lawsuit should a provider be disqualified rather than the provider having to do it themselves. So if the Supreme Court were to take up the case and rule that the recipients lacked standing to do so... it'd just mean that Planned Parenthood (or any other providers disqualified, they may be the ones involved in this case but it applies to all providers) would have to bring any such lawsuit themselves. This has no real practical effect on the issue of abortion legalization itself and is only marginally more related to the larger issue of public funding of abortion, as the question in the case was simply about who could take up lawsuits. As was noted by Clarence Thomas's dissent from denial:

"[T]hese cases are not about abortion rights. They are about private rights of action under the Medicaid Act. Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood’s ability to challenge the States’ decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits."

Quite frankly, if the provider in this case was anything other than Planned Parenthood, the court's denial of cert would likely receive as little attention as the fact Two-Way Media v. Comcast Cable Communications was denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Most of us are much more concerned about abortion than the LGBT stuff.
        I was thinking of the likes of Kim Davis and the Colorado Cake Shop fiasco. They seemed to get a lot of support from anti-LGBT activists.

But mainly, we want Constitutionalists, not activists. So we're not looking for someone who is looking for the quickest opportunity to find some tenuous excuse to overturn Roe.
        It’s all about interpretation. What you call “Constitutionalist” justices are those that interpret the Constitution your way.

A bit disappointing, but not a shock. I'd expected him to be more of a Roberts than an Alito, and such seems to be the case.
        Really! Is this why the Conservatives were so determined to get Kavanaugh confirmed, come what may? See above re “Constitutionalist interpretation”.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          While it is of course possible that Kavanaugh will be more liberal than Kennedy on the general subject of abortion (contrariwise, he could be more conservative, or be exactly the same), declining to take up this case says essentially nothing about it. Actually, it's dubious to me whether not taking up a case says much of anything at all, but says even less in this particular case due to its circumstances.

The case here, as I understand it, has been blown considerably out of proportion. It was simply concerning whether individual Medicare recipients can bring a lawsuit should a provider be disqualified rather than the provider having to do it themselves. So if the Supreme Court were to take up the case and rule that the recipients lacked standing to do so... it'd just mean that Planned Parenthood (or any other providers disqualified, they may be the ones involved in this case but it applies to all providers) would have to bring any such lawsuit themselves. This has no real practical effect on the issue of abortion legalization itself and is only marginally more related to the larger issue of public funding of abortion, as the question in the case was simply about who could take up lawsuits. As was noted by Clarence Thomas's dissent from denial:

"[T]hese cases are not about abortion rights. They are about private rights of action under the Medicaid Act. Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood’s ability to challenge the States’ decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits."

Quite frankly, if the provider in this case was anything other than Planned Parenthood, the court's denial of cert would likely receive as little attention as the fact Two-Way Media v. Comcast Cable Communications was denied.
          Agreed! “If the provider in this case was anything other than Planned Parenthood the court's denial of cert would likely receive as little attention”. But it was about Planned Parenthood and this is the point. Despite abortion being a relatively minor (although legal) component of its activities Planned Parenthood has been the victim of numerous scurrilous attacks on it by the Conservative Right and attempts to get it defunded.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I was thinking of the likes of Kim Davis and the Colorado Cake Shop fiasco. They seemed to get a lot of support from anti-LGBT activists.
            Oh, ok, well in that case, definitely put me in the anti-LGBT column.

It’s all about interpretation. What you call “Constitutionalist” justices are those that interpret the Constitution your way.
            Textualist-originalist and non-activist.

Really! Is this why the Conservatives were so determined to get Kavanaugh confirmed, come what may? See above re “Constitutionalist interpretation”.
            My preference was for Amy Barrett. But when the libiots went all ape-feces over that weird squeaky little bimbo and her fake accusations, I was all-in for him.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              Oh, ok, well in that case, definitely put me in the anti-LGBT column.
              Told ya!

Textualist-originalist and non-activist.
              IOW justices who interpret the Constitution your way.

My preference was for Amy Barrett. But when the libiots went all ape-feces over that weird squeaky little bimbo and her fake accusations, I was all-in for him.
              Are you serious?

Comment