Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pontius Pilate's name found on ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontius Pilate's name found on ring

Source: NYT

The name of Pontius Pilate, the Roman official who ordered the killing of Jesus, according to the Gospel, is mentioned in thousands of sermons every year and is familiar to countless people, but little is known about his life and work.

To the very short list of clues about Pilate as a historical figure, archaeologists have added one more: a 2,000-year-old copper alloy ring bearing his name.

The ring was discovered in the late 1960s, one of thousands of artifacts found in the excavation of Herodium, an ancient fortress and palace south of Bethlehem, in the West Bank. But it was not until recently that researchers, analyzing those objects with advanced photography, were able to decipher the ring’s inscription.

It reads “of Pilates,” in Greek letters set around a picture of a wine vessel known as a krater, and is said by archaeologists to be only the second artifact from his time ever found with his name. Kraters are a common image in artifacts of that time and place.

© Copyright Original Source

Story continues.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Until the discovery of what is called the "Pilate Stone," an 82 x 65 cm (32¼" x 25½") chunk of limestone bearing an inscription mentioning Pilate and referring to him as "prefect" at the site of Caesarea Maritima, many unbelievers claimed that there was no evidence that he was a historical person -- in spite of being mentioned by Tacitus, Philo of Alexandria as well as Josephus (both in his The Jewish War and Jewish Antiquities). Now we have this bronze ring as well.

00000000000000ab000.jpg
    Since the NY Times couldn't bother with including a picture

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I dunno, that inscription looks pretty sloppy for a governor or prefect to wear. Is other jewelry of ranking officials from that time similar in appearance?
        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
          I dunno, that inscription looks pretty sloppy for a governor or prefect to wear. Is other jewelry of ranking officials from that time similar in appearance?
          The NYT article goes on to note that, for the reason you bring up, it was unlikely to be worn by Pilate himself, but by one of his underlings.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My first thought was it looks more like what someone in his family or household would wear rather than what a Roman prefect would.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              The NYT article goes on to note that, for the reason you bring up, it was unlikely to be worn by Pilate himself, but by one of his underlings.
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              My first thought was it looks more like what someone in his family or household would wear rather than what a Roman prefect would.
              Ah, thank you. That makes sense.
              We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

No
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You also have to consider it is 2000 years old and pretty banged up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    It wasn't a high-quality piece to begin with.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Actually based on the description the ring was crudely made very unlike a ring for the rank of Pontius Pilate.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment