Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Chicago City Flag

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22566

    Chicago City Flag

    I watched a few episodes of Chicago PD, and noticed this emblem seemed to be all over the place, including as shoulder patches on the police uniforms:

    chicago flag.jpg

    I googled the history, and it appears Chicagoans (?) are VERY proud of their "city flag", and, like the US flag, the bars and colors and stars have historical meanings.

    Are there any other "as recognizable" 'city flags'?

    (I was also interested in the history of the 'checkerboard' pattern on the police hats)

  2. #2
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,447
    Amen (Given)
    1373
    Amen (Received)
    4490
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I watched a few episodes of Chicago PD, and noticed this emblem seemed to be all over the place, including as shoulder patches on the police uniforms:

    chicago flag.jpg

    I googled the history, and it appears Chicagoans (?) are VERY proud of their "city flag", and, like the US flag, the bars and colors and stars have historical meanings.

    Are there any other "as recognizable" 'city flags'?

    (I was also interested in the history of the 'checkerboard' pattern on the police hats)
    I love that show! And Blue Bloods. The checkerboard is because the Chicago PD also moonlights as a cab service...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22566
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I love that show! And Blue Bloods.
    I love Blue Bloods better --- Jamie ALWAYS manages to be at or near the scene of the case that his brother the detective is investigating while his sister prosecutes and his dad watches on in pride!!!! Add to that, Jamie about to marry his partner!!!! What could possibly be better?

    The checkerboard is because the Chicago PD also moonlights as a cab service...
    Please hand me something with which to beat you severely about the head and shoulders.

  4. #4
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,447
    Amen (Given)
    1373
    Amen (Received)
    4490
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I love Blue Bloods better --- Jamie ALWAYS manages to be at or near the scene of the case that his brother the detective is investigating while his sister prosecutes and his dad watches on in pride!!!! Add to that, Jamie about to marry his partner!!!! What could possibly be better?
    It is my favorite show on TV, and they are not afraid to pray or invoke Jesus during family dinners!


    Please hand me something with which to beat you severely about the head and shoulders.

    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  5. #5
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,386
    Amen (Given)
    976
    Amen (Received)
    16817
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I watched a few episodes of Chicago PD, and noticed this emblem seemed to be all over the place, including as shoulder patches on the police uniforms:

    chicago flag.jpg

    I googled the history, and it appears Chicagoans (?) are VERY proud of their "city flag", and, like the US flag, the bars and colors and stars have historical meanings.

    Are there any other "as recognizable" 'city flags'?

    (I was also interested in the history of the 'checkerboard' pattern on the police hats)
    Atlanta's:



    Atlanta has long used the phoenix to represent the city to denote its rise after being burned to the ground as part of Sherman's March to the Sea during the American Civil War.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  6. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,382
    Amen (Given)
    10098
    Amen (Received)
    22566
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It is my favorite show on TV, and they are not afraid to pray or invoke Jesus during family dinners!
    They promote actual "family values", though not in a goody two shoes way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •