Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina Voting - and Consistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did you not have a good Christmas? You seem a tad snippy.
    My Xmas was marvelous, thanks for asking. How was yours?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      My Xmas was marvelous, thanks for asking. How was yours?
      Couldn't have been much better - first Christmas in years where my oldest "prodigal daughter" was there happy and carefree with no drama, and a good time was had by all.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Couldn't have been much better - first Christmas in years where my oldest "prodigal daughter" was there happy and carefree with no drama, and a good time was had by all.
        I'm glad to hear that CP. Here's to wishing you and your family and belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
          I'm glad to hear that CP. Here's to wishing you and your family and belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!
          Thank you, sir - same to ya!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Except they, the democrats in congress, overwhelmingly voted to build a wall along the Mexican border but now oppose it. Just like this their vote was nothing but a symbolic, empty gesture which they'll suddenly oppose if it looks like it would become law and something done about it.
            Well, you could argue that point, except for the fact that if the legislation became law, then it couldn't really be ignored by either side, could it?

And BTW rogue, I love the way you always seem to link to your sources, except when they don't actually jibe with your claims. The vote by some democrats for border security in 2006 is not even comprable to Trumps Wall proposal, neither in scope or in costs.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...der-wall-2006/
            Last edited by JimL; 12-27-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              His behavior does not strike me as the least unusual. This is pretty much how he always acts.
              Merry Xmas to you too, MM! And Happy New Year!
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Pretty much same here. My youngest son has returned to the nest and we're making progress. Eldest finished his first semester and apparently did well. Even received an offer to merge my firm with another - which I'm giving thought to. Spent the day with my 85-year-old mother who is having her first "alone" Xmas. Dad died four years ago, but she lost her last sister this past May. My 4 other siblings were otherwise occupied so my family went to spend the day with my mom. Was nice - but also the worst stuffing I have EVER made.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Well, you could argue that point, except for the fact that if the legislation became law, then it couldn't really be ignored by either side, could it?

And BTW rogue, I love the way you always seem to link to your sources, except when they don't actually jibe with your claims. The vote by some democrats for border security in 2006 is not even comprable to Trumps Wall proposal, neither in scope or in costs.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...der-wall-2006/
                  The Secure Fence Act of 2006 passed the House 283–138 and the Senate 80–19, so more than "some democrats" voted for it (including Sen. Schumer and then senators Clinton, Biden and Obama).

And yes Trump's proposal is more extensive. A chain link fence is easily by-passed by anyone with bolt cutters or similar equipment. If you're serious and want more than an empty symbolic gesture you need a wall. As for expensive Trump asked for $5 billion whereas $1.4 billion was spent on the token barrier.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pretty much same here. My youngest son has returned to the nest and we're making progress. Eldest finished his first semester and apparently did well. Even received an offer to merge my firm with another - which I'm giving thought to. Spent the day with my 85-year-old mother who is having her first "alone" Xmas. Dad died four years ago, but she lost her last sister this past May. My 4 other siblings were otherwise occupied so my family went to spend the day with my mom. Was nice - but also the worst stuffing I have EVER made.
                    Did anyone fake an attack of scurvy?

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Did anyone fake an attack of scurvy?

No... it was just an experiment gone bad. I had all of the fixings for dinner but forgot the stuffing for the turkey. All the stores were closed when I thought of it (on my way to Mom's), so I stopped by a convenience store and cobbled something together. I think it was the chopped up Slim Jims that caused the problem...

Comment

No... it was just an experiment gone bad. I had all of the fixings for dinner but forgot the stuffing for the turkey. All the stores were closed when I thought of it (on my way to Mom's), so I stopped by a convenience store and cobbled something together. I think it was the chopped up Slim Jims that caused the problem...
                        How could you ever go wrong with Slim Jims?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, it depends on whether you have the car owner's permission....

1200-21326062-car-thief.jpg

Comment

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 passed the House 283–138 and the Senate 80–19, so more than "some democrats" voted for it (including Sen. Schumer and then senators Clinton, Biden and Obama).

And yes Trump's proposal is more extensive. A chain link fence is easily by-passed by anyone with bolt cutters or similar equipment. If you're serious and want more than an empty symbolic gesture you need a wall. As for expensive Trump asked for $5 billion whereas $1.4 billion was spent on the token barrier.
                            Right, and we don't want a stupid wall, and we don't want to pay for the stupid wall. What part don't you get?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Right, and we don't want a stupid wall, and we don't want to pay for the stupid wall. What part don't you get?
                              We want a smart wall!

Comment

I know, right?

Comment