Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we in the Time of Sorrows?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Are we in the Time of Sorrows?

NOT the tribulation (so please don't drone on about making careless predictions about the end of the world), but the troubling times that precede it. I know what the preterists will obviously say. I'm wondering what futurists think.

Wars and rumors of wars* -- pretty much every major power in the world is involved in some kind of conflict or dispute with another country (so many that it would have been tedious to list them here).

* I think we should include the economic/currency wars between the world powers (for those privy to the current situation in global economics).

Nation against nation (or tribe against tribe) -- all the protests, demonstrations, riots and coups in Latin America, North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia (again, too many for me to give links).

Pestilences -- MERS, ebola outbreaks, resurgence of measles and mumps.

Earthquakes -- not just magnitude and frequency, but earthquakes happening in unexpected locations.

Persecution of the church -- discussed here.

False prophets -- impending doom of Y2k, to comet Elenin, to 2012 and everything in between.

The love of many will wax cold -- I don't think I need to elaborate on this one as it's all too obvious based on the cruelty we're seeing in society and how uncaring it is (i.e. few examples: here, here, here here here).
    Last edited by seanD; 06-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes. I am especially taken by your last point "The love of many will wax cold." More than any other, its the one that makes me think we are in the time of sorrow.

Nit pick time: I would be careful about including Y2K as a false prophecy. I was in Info Tech at that time and really bad things would have happened if a lot people hadn't done a lot of work. You could argue it was over hyped and in that way a false prophecy I suppose.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

3. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks for your input TM. I guess the subject is so taboo, futurists won't touch it with a ten foot pole. That's unfortunate.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Thanks for your input TM. I guess the subject is so taboo, futurists won't touch it with a ten foot pole. That's unfortunate.
    Your welcome. I guess there is more excitement in the rapture is about to happen at any moment than admitting it might be a ways off. Also I don't think there are that many futurists on TWeb.

(By the way I am undecided in my eschatology position.)
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Your welcome. I guess there is more excitement in the rapture is about to happen at any moment than admitting it might be a ways off. Also I don't think there are that many futurists on TWeb.

(By the way I am undecided in my eschatology position.)
    I tend to think it's a chilling effect caused by all the false alarms in the past and the embarrassment of that stigma. Satan's success.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    NOT the tribulation (so please don't drone on about making careless predictions about the end of the world), but the troubling times that precede it. I know what the preterists will obviously say. I'm wondering what futurists think.

Wars and rumors of wars* -- pretty much every major power in the world is involved in some kind of conflict or dispute with another country (so many that it would have been tedious to list them here).

* I think we should include the economic/currency wars between the world powers (for those privy to the current situation in global economics).

Nation against nation (or tribe against tribe) -- all the protests, demonstrations, riots and coups in Latin America, North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia (again, too many for me to give links).

Pestilences -- MERS, ebola outbreaks, resurgence of measles and mumps.

Earthquakes -- not just magnitude and frequency, but earthquakes happening in unexpected locations.

Persecution of the church -- discussed here.

False prophets -- impending doom of Y2k, to comet Elenin, to 2012 and everything in between.

The love of many will wax cold -- I don't think I need to elaborate on this one as it's all too obvious based on the cruelty we're seeing in society and how uncaring it is (i.e. few examples: here, here, here here here).

Also, the passage that stands out most to me from 2 Timothy 3:1-5 is the first one in the list: "lovers of self." Nothing could be more of a representation of this than the global phenomenon of social media and the narcissism that it produces (i.e. the "selfie" trend, etc.).
    An excellent summation, and yes. I think the man of sin has also been revealed, which means the day of the Lord is at hand.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darfius View Post
    An excellent summation, and yes. I think the man of sin has also been revealed, which means the day of the Lord is at hand.
    I think I can guess you're referring to Obama? If so, I believe Obama is definitely an antichrist and who has the spirit of lawlessness (as I believe Bush had), which is why he's shredding the Constitution, but I don't believe he's the Beast of Rev. Everyone hates Obama, even a lot of people from his own political party hate him, let alone the rest of the world. Putin is making a complete mockery of him to the world. Obama is a man of division; The Beast of Rev is of human unity. The only ones against the the Beast of Rev are the elect Christians that know he's (or it is) the false Christ.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think I can guess you're referring to Obama? If so, I believe Obama is definitely an antichrist and who has the spirit of lawlessness (as I believe Bush had), which is why he's shredding the Constitution, but I don't believe he's the Beast of Rev. Everyone hates Obama, even a lot of people from his own political party hate him, let alone the rest of the world. Putin is making a complete mockery of him to the world. Obama is a man of division; The Beast of Rev is of human unity. The only ones against the the Beast of Rev are the elect Christians that know he's (or it is) the false Christ.
    We rarely disagree, sean, but it appears we do so here. The beast of Revelation is not loved, he is feared. "Who is like unto the beast and who can make war with him?" Worship of him is even compelled by the false prophet, on penalty of death. This is not a man who inspires reverential awe, but self-preserving fear.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darfius View Post
    We rarely disagree, sean, but it appears we do so here. The beast of Revelation is not loved, he is feared. "Who is like unto the beast and who can make war with him?" Worship of him is even compelled by the false prophet, on penalty of death. This is not a man who inspires reverential awe, but self-preserving fear.
    They fear him, but that doesn't mean they're being forced against their will. We fear God but we willing do it out of awe and affection. Note that in Rev 13:14 the people are deceived by the miraculous feats (which correlates with 2 Thess 2:9-12). Deception is not indicative of force. He imposes his will on the saints by force, very true, because they're not susceptible to the deception.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, the passage that stands out most to me from 2 Timothy 3:1-5 is the first one in the list: "lovers of self." Nothing could be more of a representation of this than the global phenomenon of social media and the narcissism that it produces (i.e. the "selfie" trend, etc.).
    This is a good point, and worthy of reflection even if not solely from an eschatological perspective...
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

12. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.