Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dems are just too smart for us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post

Reminds me of a short vid I watched yesterday: Psychiatrist: Trump Supporters Think Like Five Year Olds

One would think that a PhD scientist would know better than disseminating the "diagnosis" of a purported psychiatrist on an entire group of people (roughly 63 million) that he obviously could never have actually spoken to. But TDS does seem to cause irrational, preposterous behavior

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The ironic thing is that Democrats don't "talk to the head" - they are all about appealing to emotions. Just look at all of their issues and how they try to use shame on people and call people racists and bigot and want to be inclusive and hug everyone and everyone can have a trophy and be any gender they want to be, yada, yada.
      I expect every boomer/Xer conservative in America will go to the grave still ranting about participation trophies.

Comment

Well yes.

Apart from Chuck Schumer who seems to be an A-grade dunce, whose idea of negotiating with McConnell is to give McConnell everything he wants repeatedly in exchange for nothing.

Yeah, Dems have a bit of a tendency to get a bit wonky and over-intellectual on policy details. Whereas Republicans have a tendency to chant "lock her up", or fear-monger about imaginary ISIS agents from the middle east who are Totally hiding in a small caravan of a few central american asylum seekers.

Reminds me of a short vid I watched yesterday: Psychiatrist: Trump Supporters Think Like Five Year Olds

Excellent vid. So many Trumpsters are just like that, just big mouthed know nothing 5 year olds. It's always both humorous and sad to watch these people, but the con man had them pegged from the get go. Just play to their 5 year old emotions and you'll never lose their support. He can fail to repeal and replace Obama care, he can destroy the economy with his tariffs, he can unnecessarily raise the debt, he can fail to get Mexico to pay for his wall, he can fail to stop industries from moving out of the country, taking thousands of jobs with them, he can give huge tax cuts to the rich, he can lie to them every time he opns his mouth, he could probably even shoot someone in the middle of 5th ave and not lose their support. I mean nothing really matters to these ignorant cult members accept his personality, they love that he speaks his mind, you know, that he's vulger and rude.
        Last edited by JimL; 12-07-2018, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          I expect every boomer/Xer conservative in America will go to the grave still ranting about participation trophies.
          They don't call them "bleeding heart liberals" for their IQ.

Comment

Yes. Though I suspect backwards to what you mean. Dunning and Kruger found that intelligent people and experts would often assume the abilities of those who they interacted with were higher than they really were, because they tended to assume everyone else was smart and competent like they were, and as a result communication could suffer.

Though it is their other finding that is more commonly referenced, but which doesn't apply in this context: That ignorant people assume they are much more informed than they are because they are ignorant about how much they don't know.
            uh, no.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

Comment

uh, no.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
              For those in Rio Linda, this means that stupid people don't know what they don't know.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Excellent vid. So many Trumpsters are just like that, just big mouthed know nothing 5 year olds. It's always both humorous and sad to watch these people, but the con man had them pegged from the get go. Just play to their 5 year old emotions and you'll never lose their support. He can fail to repeal and replace Obama care, he can destroy the economy with his tariffs, he can unnecessarily raise the debt, he can fail to get Mexico to pay for his wall, he can fail to stop industries from moving out of the country, taking thousands of jobs with them, he can give huge tax cuts to the rich, he can lie to them every time he opns his mouth, he could probably even shoot someone in the middle of 5th ave and not lose their support. I mean nothing really matters to these ignorant cult members accept his personality, they love that he speaks his mind, you know, that he's vulger and rude.
                Nobody is more blind than those that refuse to see.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well yes.

Apart from Chuck Schumer who seems to be an A-grade dunce, whose idea of negotiating with McConnell is to give McConnell everything he wants repeatedly in exchange for nothing.

Yeah, Dems have a bit of a tendency to get a bit wonky and over-intellectual on policy details. Whereas Republicans have a tendency to chant "lock her up", or fear-monger about imaginary ISIS agents from the middle east who are Totally hiding in a small caravan of a few central american asylum seekers.

More unintentional irony.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think Democrats should spend more time telling people how much smarter than them they are. Should really help get their message across.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      ... Though it is their other finding that is more commonly referenced, but which doesn't apply in this context: That ignorant people assume they are much more informed than they are because they are ignorant about how much they don't know.
                      uh, no.

For those in Rio Linda, this means that stupid people don't know what they don't know.
                      So Sparko corrects Starlight's misdescription of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Then Mountain Man bumbles along and not only makes the same error that Sparko's just corrected, while trying to explain it, but does so condescendingly.

A prat has rarely fallen so neatly.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        So Sparko corrects Starlight's misdescription of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Then Mountain Man bumbles along and not only makes the same error that Sparko's just corrected, while trying to explain it, but does so condescendingly.

A prat has rarely fallen so neatly.
                        I was correcting Starlight's first definition.

MM said the same thing I did. Stupid people don't know how stupid they are.

Comment

MM said the same thing I did. Stupid people don't know how stupid they are.
                          Roy, in his haste to pounce on MM for imagined incompetence, improperly conflated "ignorant" with "stupid."

Not the first time Roy's pulled something like that.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Starlight's first definition was about the shortcomings of experts - people with [u]high[/I] ability. You were talking about people with low ability.

I thought you were correcting Starlight's error in casting the D-K effect in terms of knowledge, not ability - but it seems I was wrong. You were actually trying to correct Starlight re the D-K effect referring to people of low ability, not high ability. Unfortunately, D&K presented findings about both groups, as mentioned by Starlight and apparently unknown to you even though you quoted him.
                            MM said the same thing I did.
                            No, MM said the same thing Starlight did (2nd definition). Your quote was about competence; they both talked about knowledge.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Starlight's first definition was about the shortcomings of experts - people with [u]high[/I] ability. You were talking about people with low ability.

I thought you were correcting Starlight's error in casting the D-K effect in terms of knowledge, not ability - but it seems I was wrong. You were actually trying to correct Starlight re the D-K effect referring to people of low ability, not high ability. Unfortunately, D&K presented findings about both groups, as mentioned by Starlight and apparently unknown to you even though you quoted him.No, MM said the same thing Starlight did (2nd definition). Your quote was about competence; they both talked about knowledge.

Jed was asking if this [the claim in the OP] was the dunning - kruger effect, clearly referencing the idea that dumb people don't know how dumb they are.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Democrats Have a Hard Time "Connecting" With People Because Of "How Smart We Are"

Isn't there a name for this? Dunning-Kruger effect or some such thing?
                              Starlight said:

Yes. Though I suspect backwards to what you mean. Dunning and Kruger found that intelligent people and experts would often assume the abilities of those who they interacted with were higher than they really were, because they tended to assume everyone else was smart and competent like they were, and as a result communication could suffer.
                              Which clearly was wrong and which I was responding to. As an afterthought he tossed in the part you quoted in your attempt to try to make it look like I was just repeating what he said and being ignorant myself. And then complaining about MM. Clearly your entire post was a dishonest representation of what was going on. Shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Roy, in his haste to pounce on MM for imagined incompetence, improperly conflated "ignorant" with "stupid."
                                No I didn't. I contrasted competence/ability vs knowledge.

It seems you, Sparko and MM are all unskilled at spotting such subtleties, and unaware of it.

Comment