Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Broadcasters in North America ban Baby It's Cold Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of the feminist friends I have reads it as a song about rape, or a song advocating rape culture.

At worst there two lines that are perhaps a little weird, the first being 'say whats in this drink', which some less informed people misconstrue as being about date rape drugs. That would be anachronistic as nothing like that existed in any way we currently know in the thirties. Its a line you'll find many characters in thirties radio dramas or movies say. Its a line meant to excuse current behaviour as in, the character is being a little tipsy at the moment and perhaps they should lie down.

The only line that has anything remotely bad about it would be "At least I'm gonna say that I tried (what's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)". One could make an argument about the male having claiming an entitlement here, but its quite clear from the context of the song that he is not resisting letting her go.

It is a song with two adults consensually flirting with one another, as a blizzard is blowing outside.

Christians can be against it because its basically advocating sex before marriage, but I don't see any secular reasons to be against the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      There are tons of other aspects of historical American cultural that are foreign to its current citizens. It is wholly incorrect to claim romance in the 1950s is an exception or to not expect misinterpretations from a modern listener without context.
      Not unexpected when schools teach post-modern misinterpretations of history rather than the real deal.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Not unexpected when schools teach post-modern misinterpretations of history rather than the real deal.
        Can you clarify? How are schools teaching post-modern misinterpretations of history?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          None of the feminist friends I have reads it as a song about rape, or a song advocating rape culture.

At worst there two lines that are perhaps a little weird, the first being 'say whats in this drink', which some less informed people misconstrue as being about date rape drugs. That would be anachronistic as nothing like that existed in any way we currently know in the thirties. Its a line you'll find many characters in thirties radio dramas or movies say. Its a line meant to excuse current behaviour as in, the character is being a little tipsy at the moment and perhaps they should lie down.

The only line that has anything remotely bad about it would be "At least I'm gonna say that I tried (what's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)". One could make an argument about the male having claiming an entitlement here, but its quite clear from the context of the song that he is not resisting letting her go.

It is a song with two adults consensually flirting with one another, as a blizzard is blowing outside.

Christians can be against it because its basically advocating sex before marriage, but I don't see any secular reasons to be against the song.
          I never liked this song and the guy does seem to be pushing the girl towards a goal that she is not quite comfortable with...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I never liked this song and the guy does seem to be pushing the girl towards a goal that she is not quite comfortable with...
            I never read it like that. The only thing we as Christians can criticize it for is for openly normalizing sex outside of marriage. That's basically what the song is about anyway. Two adults, alone with each other, flirting with one another as a cold storm is blowing outside.

Personally I can abstract from that. Its one of my favorite Christmas songs, and one can argue that flirtation has its place.
            Last edited by Leonhard; 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Though on second thought I do agree that version played by Montalban in Neptune's Daughter then I agree its pushing it a bit, but that's just one version of many.

Comment

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I was in Walmart yesterday. Went up to an employee and told her I was offended by their playing of Frosty the Snowman.

I explained that it is too gender specific and the lyrics should be changed to "Frosty, the non-gender specific snow creature", and all the pronouns should be changed to ze or zir.

I then went on to declare that Frosty was made of snow, which is generally white, so the entire song was racist.

The clerk looked absolutely gobsmacked.

Then I smiled, told her I was just kidding and isn't the world getting ridiculous. She agreed with a great deal of relief.

Then I wished her a merry Christmas and went on my way.

True story.
                  Last edited by mossrose; 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I was in Walmart yesterday. Went up to an employee and told her I was offended by their playing of Frosty the Snowman.

I explained that it is too gender specific and the lyrics should be changed to "Frosty, the non-gender specific snow creature", and all the pronouns should be changed to ze or zir.

I then went on to declare that Frosty was made is snow, which is generally white, do the entire song was racist.

Then I smiled, told her I was just kidding and isn't the world getting ridiculous. She agreed with a great deal of relief.

True story.
                    Way cool!
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I then went on to declare that Frosty was made is snow, which is generally white, do the entire song was racist.

True story.

"Penmanship" is now 'handwriting' as Washington state removes gender bias in statutes
                      Laura L. Myers

3 Min Read

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Washington state’s governor signed into law on Monday the final piece of a six-year effort to rewrite state laws using gender-neutral vocabulary, replacing terms such as “fisherman” and “freshman” with “fisher” and “first-year student.”

Lawmakers have passed a series of bills since 2007 to root out gender bias from Washington statutes, though a 1983 state mandate required that all laws be written in gender-neutral terms unless a specification of gender was intended.

“This was a much larger effort than I had envisioned. Mankind means man and woman,” said Democratic state Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles of Seattle.

The new gender-neutral references, for example, include “journey-level plumber” instead of “journeyman plumber,” “handwriting” in place of “penmanship,” and “signal operator” for “signalman.”

“There’s no good reason for keeping our legal terms anachronistic and with words that do not respect our current contemporary times,” Kohl-Welles, the 475-page bill’s sponsor, told Reuters.

Several words, however, aren’t easy to replace, said Kyle Thiessen, the state’s code reviser, who heads up the 40-staff Washington Code Reviser’s Office agency.

The state likely won’t change the words “airmen” and “seaman,” for example, because of objections by the state’s Washington Military Department, he said.

Civil engineering terms such as “man hole” and “man lock,” also will not be changed because no common-sense substitutes could easily be found, Thiessen said.

Nearly 3,500 Washington state code sections, out of a total of about 40,000 have been tediously scrubbed of gender bias, although most involve adding pronouns “she” and “her” to augment the existing “he” and “his,” Thiessen said.
                      https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...ghNews&rpc=935

----

Sexist Language: Frosty the Snowman

Posted in Music, Web Portfolio tagged comm33009, Music at 7:42 am by melissam4

The song “Frosty the Snowman” is a classic. It’s a catchy tune, all the kids learn it and sing it around Christmas time and I don’t know anyone that doesn’t like it. I know I did. But now that i’ve learned a thing or two about gender communication, one of the first questions that popped into my mind when reading about sexist language was this song. Why does it have to be Frosty the Snowman? Why not Frosty the Snowgirl? Frost should have no gender assosiated with it but in this case it does. Would the name Iccy have any other connotation?

According to the text, “sexist language is language that discriminates against individuals or groups solely on the basis of their gender’ (pg.68). Although in the cartoon Frosty is really only being discriminated against for being a snowman, why is he so much more popular than his wife or girlfriend that he eventually found? Is it because she was a snowwoman. I don’t remeber her having any official title of what she was. Was she a snowwoman, snowgirl, or snowperson?

Source: Gamble, T. K. & Gamble, M. W. (2003). The gender communication connection. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
                      https://melissam4.wordpress.com/2009...y-the-snowman/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                        Civil engineering terms such as “man hole” and “man lock,” also will not be changed because no common-sense substitutes could easily be found, Thiessen said.
                        I can think of a couple of words to replace those. But the first one would refer to the WOMAN who brought the bill forward and those who vote for it, and if I said it here I would get moderated.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I can think of a couple of words to replace those. But the first one would refer to the WOMAN who brought the bill forward and those who vote for it, and if I said it here I would get moderated.

Mossy!
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Mossy!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I never saw it like that but rather that she was being coy and didn't want her thinking that she was easy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I never saw it like that but rather that she was being coy and didn't want her thinking that she was easy.
                                NO, HE WAS TRYING TO RAPE HER! Get with the program!

Comment