Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Broadcasters in North America ban Baby It's Cold Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The following is a sad but true commentary on today's PC world...

And with that the funeral for romance was announced.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      People have been listening to that song for over 60 years and have understood it to be what MankyScotGit heard -- a guy trying to seduce a girl and maybe I should add, her not exactly pushing him away. But now, generations later, SJWs have decided that everyone has been wrong all these generations and he's really trying to rape her.

Sheesh, this was as bad as having to explain an obvious joke.
      To many feminists, any sex with a male is rape.

Comment

To many feminists, any sex with a male is rape.
        IIRC, it was Andrea Dworkin who declared that any penetration by it's very nature constituted rape. I've been waiting for an acolyte to proclaim that "french kissing" is rape.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

IIRC, it was Andrea Dworkin who declared that any penetration by it's very nature constituted rape. I've been waiting for an acolyte to proclaim that "french kissing" is rape.
          Wait no longer.

--------------------
          Ridicule as police say kissing under the mistletoe without consent is 'rape'

Police have warned Christmas party goers to obtain consent before kissing under the mistletoe otherwise they may be guilty of rape.

The advice came in a tweet, since deleted, by the Police Service of Northern Ireland which has been criticised for “trivialising” sexual violence.

The force, which has 159,000 followers, tweeted on Saturday: “If you bump into that special someone under the mistletoe tonight, remember that without consent it is rape #SeasonsGreetings”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-consent-rape/

Comment

Wait no longer.

--------------------
            Ridicule as police say kissing under the mistletoe without consent is 'rape'

Police have warned Christmas party goers to obtain consent before kissing under the mistletoe otherwise they may be guilty of rape.

The advice came in a tweet, since deleted, by the Police Service of Northern Ireland which has been criticised for “trivialising” sexual violence.

The force, which has 159,000 followers, tweeted on Saturday: “If you bump into that special someone under the mistletoe tonight, remember that without consent it is rape #SeasonsGreetings”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-consent-rape/

Comment

Have you ever really listened to the lyrics of half of the songs from the 1970s and 1980s? They sound like stalker songs..
              Every Breath You Take is actually, for realsies, about a stalker.

Comment

People have been listening to that song for over 60 years and have understood it to be what MankyScotGit heard -- a guy trying to seduce a girl and maybe I should add, her not exactly pushing him away. But now, generations later, SJWs have decided that everyone has been wrong all these generations and he's really trying to rape her.

Sheesh, this was as bad as having to explain an obvious joke.
                The song being 60 (actually 70) years old is the issue. Romance and relationships have changed enough that without doing research into the context, a general audience is seeing something the songwriter didn't intend.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  So you’re accusing Dean Martin as being a sexual predator. Interesting...
                  the song makes sense in the context of a society in which women are expected to reject men’s advances whether they actually want to or not. The woman is perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink (offered to her in the song) as plausible deniability because she’s living in a society where women aren’t supposed to have sexual agency .. It’s not a song about rape, it’s a song about a woman finding a way to exercise sexual agency in a patriarchal society designed to stop her doing so”.
                  - says the Irish Times.

Does this help?.... now that we are living in the age of Rohypnol.
                  Last edited by firstfloor; 12-10-2018, 08:38 PM.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    - says the Irish Times.

Do you often confuse news stories with Op-Eds? Psychoanalysis like that you quoted rather says more about the psychoanalyst than what he or she (yes, I'm assuming gender) is attempting to analyze.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Do you often confuse news stories with Op-Eds? Psychoanalysis like that you quoted rather says more about the psychoanalyst than what he or she (yes, I'm assuming gender) is attempting to analyze.
                      The song has returned to the airways, because of popular demand.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Jingle Bells is obviously about animal slavery and cruelty. That poor horse.

And it is racist too!

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          The song being 60 (actually 70) years old is the issue. Romance and relationships have changed enough that without doing research into the context, a general audience is seeing something the songwriter didn't intend.
                          That is kind of the point except you really don't have to do any research. Just don't walk around waiting to be offended.

Comment

That is kind of the point except you really don't have to do any research. Just don't walk around waiting to be offended.
                            Well liberals have been playing the "I'm offended" game for decades now, with their victimization mentality. And they seem to get prestige and virtue points by being the one to point out new offenses so they are always on the lookout. But they have pretty much exhausted the obvious things to get offended by, so now they have moved on to straining gnats and getting offended by ridiculous things like cartoons and songs. If you want to find something to be offended by, you can always find something in anything.

Once people stop responding to their accusations with apologies and banning things, and rightly point out to them that they are being ridiculous or just ignore them, maybe it will stop, or at least slow down. Right now it is like a popularity contest among social justice warriors.

Comment

There are tons of other aspects of historical American cultural that are foreign to its current citizens. It is wholly incorrect to claim romance in the 1950s is an exception or to not expect misinterpretations from a modern listener without context.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                - says the Irish Times.

Which is mainly true to this day FF. Got a point to this rant?
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment