Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The evidence of a Tigris Euphrates Noah flood about 2900 BCE

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    It would help if you actually knew what a Gish Gallop was rather than just ignorantly slinging it about in the same manner that a 4 year old uses a swear word he overheard and has no idea what it means but is only aware that it is something bad.

A Gish Gallop is when a debater throws out a myriad of unrelated or at best loosely connected claims in an attempt to swamp his opponent. It is usually used in oral debates where there is a limited amount of time and it is impossible to address each charge leaving the usually false impression that the person was incapable of answering some of the claims and hence they might be valid.
    You will note that I said “Gish Gallop style of attempting to overwhelm your opponent”, highlighting the word “style” to avoid the pathetic ‘put-down’ of the sort you’ve predictably just taken two paragraphs to attempt.

In sharp contrast I'm making a single claim -- namely that the notion of a Dark Ages has been discredited and offered something like four examples to substantiate my claim.
    I never mentioned or implied anything to do with the “Dark Ages”. This is your derail. I was addressing the issue of scientific methodology as opposed to the philosophical approach preceding it.

B]ETA:[/B] And while Bacon typically gets the credit,
    Yes. For the very good reason that Bacon was the first to systematize scientific methodology as we know it today.

“Francis Bacon discovered and popularized the scientific method, whereby the laws of science are discovered by gathering and analyzing data from experiments and observations, rather than by using logic-based arguments”. “The Baconian method marked the beginning of the end for the 2,000-year-old natural philosophy of Aristotle”.

https://www.famousscientists.org/francis-bacon/

Just as I argued previously.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

2. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes. For the very good reason that Bacon was the first to systematize scientific methodology as we know it today.

“Francis Bacon discovered and popularized the scientific method, whereby the laws of science are discovered by gathering and analyzing data from experiments and observations, rather than by using logic-based arguments”. “The Baconian method marked the beginning of the end for the 2,000-year-old natural philosophy of Aristotle”.

Just as I argued previously.
    I believe the Islamic contribution of the evolution of the Scientific Method deserved its place in history.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

4. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You will note that I said “Gish Gallop style of attempting to overwhelm your opponent”

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I believe the Islamic contribution of the evolution of the Scientific Method deserved its place in history.
    Oh certainly. Islamic scientific achievements during its Golden Age had a considerable impact on European scientific development.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Indeed. It goes both ways. As Christianity influenced Kalam, Kalam influenced Christianity, and thanks to Kalam scholarship, Christian theologians and philosophers were able to move beyond outdated pagan Neo-Platonic and Aristotelian schools of thought, and furthered Christian views on natural philosophy (science) and theology in ways that we're still benefiting from.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh certainly. Islamic scientific achievements during its Golden Age had a considerable impact on European scientific development.
    You realize you just admitted you were wrong before, right?

9. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You realize you just admitted you were wrong before, right?
    Not at all. The Islamic contribution to the evolution of the Scientific Method in the West was significant

11. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not at all. The Islamic contribution to the evolution of the Scientific Method in the West was significant
    LOL

First you said:

There was no science as we know it until the work of Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) and Galileo Galilei (1564-1642).
    Then you said:

Keep wiggling Tassy.

13. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

Keep wiggling Tassy.
    What I said is the case. “Francis Bacon discovered and popularized the scientific method, whereby the laws of science are discovered by gathering and analyzing data from experiments and observations, rather than by using logic-based arguments”. “The Baconian method marked the beginning of the end for the 2,000-year-old natural philosophy of Aristotle, unleashing a wave of new scientific discoveries, particularly in the hands of devotees such as Robert Boyle".

He did not achieve all this in a vacuum, obviously. Others played a part including Muslims. Its scholars contributed new insights in their fields and ultimately passed their discoveries along to Europe.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What I said is the case. “Francis Bacon discovered and popularized the scientific method, whereby the laws of science are discovered by gathering and analyzing data from experiments and observations, rather than by using logic-based arguments”. “The Baconian method marked the beginning of the end for the 2,000-year-old natural philosophy of Aristotle, unleashing a wave of new scientific discoveries, particularly in the hands of devotees such as Robert Boyle".

He did not achieve all this in a vacuum, obviously. Others played a part including Muslims. Its scholars contributed new insights in their fields and ultimately passed their discoveries along to Europe.
    That was just your wiggling after we pointed out you were wrong in the first place when you tried to claim that the Geocentric model was theology and not science. But now you are claiming that muslims were scientists before you claimed that science even existed, showing not only were you wrong in the first place but since you think that geocentrism is a Christian thing, you are a religious bigot since you accept muslims as scientists and claim the Europeans were not. Never mind that the muslims also believed in a geocentric universe.

16. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.