Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Kolob a star or a planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Wouldn't there be an infinite number of inhabited planets in Mormonism? How far back does the chain of man becomes god makes man becomes god makes man... go??? How couuld billions of kids be produced by one couple? How could physical entities have spirit children?
    I once got INCREDIBLY hostile responses from a couple of our Tweb Mormons for answering this question "in a crude and disrespectful" way, and was accused of using anti-Mormon websites to mock them.

My quote was directly from LDS.org.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So they do have a response? What is it? And do they think God was a homo sapiens? Or what? Did any of the planets explode(bad joke)?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I once got INCREDIBLY hostile responses from a couple of our Tweb Mormons for answering this question "in a crude and disrespectful" way, and was accused of using anti-Mormon websites to mock them.

My quote was directly from LDS.org.
        Awkward
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          Awkward
          Same thing happened when I portrayed Smith with his face stuffed in his hat, supposedly translating the Golden Plates. I was accused of getting that from "Mormon Attack" threads, and it was simply false. I had actually gotten it from FairMormon.org.

I honestly think many of the Mormons have any idea of some of the stuff in their own Church's history, or on their own websites.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Tell me, ... Is Jesus Christ "fully God" (fulness of Deity)?

If "Christians" want to mock Latter-Day Saints because we believe that we are made in God's image and likeness, and we believe that God can dwell on a world ... then those Mormons should have simply asked the "Christians" where they think that Jesus Christ will dwell at the Second Coming.

Some people just like repeatedly making fools of themselves by attempting to hide behind double standards while deriding the religion of Latter Day Saints.

Does it bother you that I can see right through?

Awkward.

-7up

Comment

The problem isn't God becoming a human. The problem is thinking a finite being can become an infinite eternal Being, man becoming a god. One theory is that Jesus doesn't manifest as a physical body due to being outside Space-Time.

Comment

The problem isn't God becoming a human. The problem is thinking a finite being can become an infinite eternal Being, ...

What do you mean by "infinite"? Are you referring to God's supposed "omnipresence"?

One theory is that Jesus doesn't manifest as a physical body due to being outside Space-Time.

Sounds like an interesting theory. What scripture is used to support that theory?

-7up

Comment

It's just philosophical musings by William Craig. I meant the three omni's and being eternal. Why do you thing that the incarnation is the same as the other way around? Where in Scripture does it say that God had a beginning? Not to mention the infinite regress of gods in Mormonism.

Comment

It's just philosophical musings by William Craig.
                    All right then.

I meant the three omni's and being eternal.
                    The only "omni" that I disagree with is "omnipresence" in a literal sense that you would apply to it. From what I read in scripture, God's person has a location and a presence. This is true no matter what member of the Godhead you are referring to.

I quoted this earlier, but it applies to your comment here as well:

"God is considered to be everywhere present at the same moment; and the Psalmist says, “Whither shall I flee from thy presence?” [Psalm 139:7]. He is present with all his creations through his influence, through his government, spirit and power, but he himself is a personage of tabernacle, and we are made after his likeness" (DBY, 24).

Why do you thing that the incarnation is the same as the other way around?
                    I am simply pointing out the misconception of a supposed "ontological divide". Why do you limit God's ability to bring us "the other way around"? Are you denying omnipotence?

Where in Scripture does it say that God had a beginning?

Mormons don't believe in a "beginning" in the sense you are attempting. There was a "beginning" to the physical reality that we see here in time and space. That is what Genesis 1 refers to.

In terms of the "unseen" reality, Joseph Smith taught that the "mind" of each man, or his "intelligence" has always existed. It had no beginning. This is certainly true for God's mind as well.

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
                      If "Christians"
                      Ah, the "Christians" in quotation marks!

want to mock Latter-Day Saints because we believe that we are made in God's image and likeness, and we believe that God can dwell on a world ... then those Mormons should have simply asked the "Christians" where they think that Jesus Christ will dwell at the Second Coming.
                      Not on the sun or the moon or a planet (or sun) named Kolob.

Some people just like repeatedly making fools of themselves
                      Hey, now, I'm not the one who claimed that there were people living on the moon who dress like Quakers! NOR am I part of a religion that TAUGHT that.

by attempting to hide behind double standards while deriding the religion of Latter Day Saints.

Does it bother you that I can see right through?

Awkward.

-7up
                      I've noticed you're on this "double standard" kick lately. And, no, it doesn't bother me in the least that you PRETEND to "see right through me".

Comment

So they do have a response? What is it? And do they think God was a homo sapiens? Or what? Did any of the planets explode(bad joke)?
                        Actually you are not far off. The Mormon idea of "God" is pretty much just a man with superpowers. He is not omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, etc.

Comment

Where will Jesus live after the second coming? That's easy...

Rev 21:21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Which kinda brings up another question... If good mormons get to be Gods of their own planets and universes, then wouldn't they have their own heavens? Or Kolobs? The bible says we will live on the New Earth together and that God will still be our God. It says we will still be people. It never says that we will become God ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Actually you are not far off. The Mormon idea of "God" is pretty much just a man with superpowers. He is not omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, etc.
                            Are you sure Sparko? I ask because here they claim He is omnipotent and omniscient.

God: Latter-day Saints believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving, and they pray to Him in the name of Jesus Christ.
                            https://www.lds.org/topics/christian...ery=omniscient

Jesus: We pray to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the great Mediator. Though omnipotent and omniscient, all-powerful and all-knowing, He is our friend.
                            https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...y=Robert+Hales

Holy Ghost: As a member of the Godhead, and being one with the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost is, as are the Father and the Son, omniscient. He comprehends all truth having a “knowledge of [all] things.” (D&C 93:24.)
                            https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...ang=eng&query=

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                              Are you sure Sparko? I ask because here they claim He is omnipotent and omniscient.

God: Latter-day Saints believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving, and they pray to Him in the name of Jesus Christ.
                              https://www.lds.org/topics/christian...ery=omniscient

Jesus: We pray to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the great Mediator. Though omnipotent and omniscient, all-powerful and all-knowing, He is our friend.
                              https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...y=Robert+Hales

Holy Ghost: As a member of the Godhead, and being one with the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost is, as are the Father and the Son, omniscient. He comprehends all truth having a “knowledge of [all] things.” (D&C 93:24.)
                              https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...ang=eng&query=
                              Remember, the LDS loves to use Christian terms, but assign them different meanings. For example, how can God be omnipresent if he is limited to a flesh and bone body? And when they say he knows "all things" you have to ask yourself what they mean by that. Does that include the future, for example? 7-up has been arguing against Omniscience in his thread on Ex Nihilo. Which brings us to Omnipotent. The LDS God cannot created matter, he can only re-arrange it. So how is that omnipotent?

Comment

Thank you. I am once again reminded of the book by the late Walter Martin entitled: "The Maze of Mormonism".

I tell my wife Mormonism is the most convoluted belief system that I have ever encountered.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X