Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God allows it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God allows it?

"If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble?
    If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it?" (Amos 3:6)

Not "has the Lord not allowed it?" Oftentimes you can hear people say that God allows trouble and calamity, but Scripture says otherwise. Though God is not the author of evil, still what happens is under his control, and by his plan.

“But I gave you also cleanness of teeth in all your cities
    And lack of bread in all your places,
    Yet you have not returned to Me,” declares the Lord.
    “Furthermore, I withheld the rain from you
    While there were still three months until harvest.
    Then I would send rain on one city
    And on another city I would not send rain;
    One part would be rained on,
    While the part not rained on would dry up.
    “So two or three cities would stagger to another city to drink water,
    But would not be satisfied;
    “I smote you with scorching wind and mildew;
    And the caterpillar was devouring
    Your many gardens and vineyards, fig trees and olive trees;
    Yet you have not returned to Me,” declares the Lord. (Amos 4:6–9)

So God does not simply allow trouble or calamity, I understand why people will say this, but this detracts from the sovereignty of God. And his plan is good, and for a good purpose.

“I overthrew you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah,
    And you were like a firebrand snatched from a blaze;
    “Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel;
    Because I will do this to you,
    Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!”
    For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind
    And declares to man what are His thoughts,
    He who makes dawn into darkness
    And treads on the high places of the earth,
    The Lord God of hosts is His name. (Amos 4:11–13)

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

You just have to read Revelation to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

Not "has the Lord not allowed it?" Oftentimes you can hear people say that God allows trouble and calamity, but Scripture says otherwise. Though God is not the author of evil, still what happens is under his control, and by his plan.

“But I gave you also cleanness of teeth in all your cities
      And lack of bread in all your places,
      “Furthermore, I withheld the rain from you
      While there were still three months until harvest.
      Then I would send rain on one city
      And on another city I would not send rain;
      One part would be rained on,
      While the part not rained on would dry up.
      “So two or three cities would stagger to another city to drink water,
      But would not be satisfied;
      “I smote you with scorching wind and mildew;
      And the caterpillar was devouring
      Your many gardens and vineyards, fig trees and olive trees;
      Yet you have not returned to Me,” declares the Lord. (Amos 4:6–9)

So God does not simply allow trouble or calamity, I understand why people will say this, but this detracts from the sovereignty of God. And his plan is good, and for a good purpose.

“I overthrew you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah,
      And you were like a firebrand snatched from a blaze;
      “Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel;
      Because I will do this to you,
      Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!”
      For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind
      And declares to man what are His thoughts,
      He who makes dawn into darkness
      And treads on the high places of the earth,
      The Lord God of hosts is His name. (Amos 4:11–13)

Blessings,
      Lee
      Lee,

You are vastly overstating your case. God is saying through His prophet that, IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, He has directed the calamities in response to His peoples' unfaithfulness. It's a terrible proof-text for 'proving' that God directs all calamities, everywhere.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        God is saying through His prophet that, IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, He has directed the calamities in response to His peoples' unfaithfulness.

The first statement is a general question, and so in context, the second statement would be general too.

It's a terrible proof-text for 'proving' that God directs all calamities, everywhere.
        How about this verse?

"I am the Lord, and there is no other,
        The One forming light and creating darkness,
        Causing well-being and creating calamity;
        I am the Lord who does all these." (Isaiah 45:6–7)

Two general statements, to make the point clear.

And I think people say God allows calamity as in he doesn't ever create calamity, so I think I can take your point of view here and still disprove the statement that God does not do any such thing.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

The first statement is a general question, and so in context, the second statement would be general too.
          Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

This is a theist only area.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            So you think your god not only allows, but causes every calamity. Every earthquake that levels tower blocks, every occupied building that catches fire, every train derailment, every terrorist bomb, every bridge collapse, every flash flood, every sacking and massacre, every plague and epidemic, every tsunami, every nuclear meltdown, every crashed plane, every magazine explosion, every avalanche, mudslide and pyroclastic lava flow, every mass shooting, every dam breach, every drought and famine, every foundered ship, all planned and put into motion by your god.

And you worship him.
            Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

This is a theist only area.

Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Moderator Notice

Please note that this is the Theology forum, and non-theists are not allowed to post here. If you would like to discuss this topic elsewhere, you are free to do so. Your posts here will likely be deleted.

Have a nice day.

Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Lee, it's a general question in a specific context. I told you the context, but you ignored it.
                How about this verse?

"I am the Lord, and there is no other,
                The One forming light and creating darkness,
                Causing well-being and creating calamity;
                I am the Lord who does all these." (Isaiah 45:6–7)

Two general statements, to make the point clear.
                This example fails for the same reason the first one did; namely, the calamity in question is visited in judgment on a disobedient people, in accordance with Deuteronomy.
                And I think people say God allows calamity as in he doesn't ever create calamity, so I think I can take your point of view here and still disprove the statement that God does not do any such thing.

Blessings,
                Lee
                I think you know better than to think that, Lee. Do you really need to immolate a strawman in order to support your point? I'd hope you have something better.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Lee, it's a general question in a specific context. I told you the context, but you ignored it.
                  Yes, there are specifics in the context, but that doesn't make a general statement specific.

Source: New American Commentary, Amos

Agreement with the general proposition that disaster in a city should be attributed to the Lord would lend support to the prophet’s contention that Israel’s oppression by surrounding nations was the work of the Lord. The emphasis of the sentence structure is that the Lord and no other “caused” (ʿāśâ, “worked” or “performed”) the disaster. As Gitay expresses it, “Amos’s main concern is the recognition that God reveals himself not only in matters of success but also in terms of sins and punishment” and “to convince his audience that an unbroken relationship exists between their sins and a divinely inspired catastrophe.” The implication of this line of argument is that God, the Sovereign Lord, controls everything that happens.

© Copyright Original Source

The alternative is worse, that God is not in control in calamities.

This example fails for the same reason the first one did; namely, the calamity in question is visited in judgment on a disobedient people, in accordance with Deuteronomy.
                  So I wonder how a general statement could be made, in Scripture!

I think you know better than to think that, Lee. Do you really need to immolate a strawman in order to support your point? I'd hope you have something better.
                  But this is not a strawman, many people (see above) do object to the idea that God is in complete control, even in every calamity.

And if God is in control of some calamities, how is it a great step to suppose that God is in control of all of them?

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Edited by a Moderator
                    Yes, because of the belief that God is good, and that he has a good purpose even in the worst calamities, as in the cross.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

God has a permissive will also. He can allow calamities to occur that are caused by other things or people. When someone murders others like in a mass shooting, I don't think you can say that God causes it, but he allows it to happen because he gives us free will and that includes the freedom to sin and harm others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        God has a permissive will also. He can allow calamities to occur that are caused by other things or people. When someone murders others like in a mass shooting, I don't think you can say that God causes it, but he allows it to happen because he gives us free will and that includes the freedom to sin and harm others.
                        So then a murder means we have second best? God has to compromise with evil? Surely not, "all things work together for good for those who love God" (Romans 8:28), and if sin can cause real harm, and give us second best, then all things do not work out for good for those who love God.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

So then a murder means we have second best? God has to compromise with evil? Surely not, "all things work together for good for those who love God" (Romans 8:28), and if sin can cause real harm, and give us second best, then all things do not work out for good for those who love God.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Do you think God caused the Terrorists to crash into the World Trade Center?

If that is the case, where does free will come into play? This is sounding like a hypercalvinism

The verse means God will take even bad things and turn them into something good for those who love him. Not that he causes all bad things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Do you think God caused the Terrorists to crash into the World Trade Center?
                            Yes, "If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it?" (Amos 3:6)

"Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?" (Lamentations 3:37)

If that is the case, where does free will come into play?
                            I hold that only believers have free will. Note that the Bible never says that God must allow for sin because of free will!

The verse means God will take even bad things and turn them into something good for those who love him. Not that he causes all bad things.
                            So I ask again, then a murder means we have second best? God has to compromise with evil?

For some listening, by the way, try "Weathering the Storms of Life" by Jill Briscoe.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Yes, "If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it?" (Amos 3:6)

"Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?" (Lamentations 3:37)

I hold that only believers have free will. Note that the Bible never says that God must allow for sin because of free will!

So I ask again, then a murder means we have second best? God has to compromise with evil?

For some listening, by the way, try "Weathering the Storms of Life" by Jill Briscoe.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              I don't understand your question about second best. I think that we live in a fallen world and God allows evil to occur as a consequence of the fall and our own evil actions. But it all works according to his ultimate plan which is the redemption of his creation.

Imagine a raging river. You can stand in the middle and block a bit here and there but the river will move around your feeble attempts and keep flowing where it wants to. That river is God's will and your attempts to staunch the flow are your free will interference with his plans.

My view is more of a Molinist. So that God is in control of everything, but he creates a world where our free will actions are the ones he wants us to make. So while God did create the world where the terrorists did attack New York, it was their free will choice to do so and they are responsible for it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X