Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: God allows it?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "When a person settles it Biblically, intellectually and emotionally, that God has ultimate control of all things, including evil, and that this is gracious and precious beyond words, then a marvelous stability and depth come into that person's life" (John Piper)
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    "When a person settles it Biblically, intellectually and emotionally, that God has ultimate control of all things, including evil, and that this is gracious and precious beyond words, then a marvelous stability and depth come into that person's life" (John Piper)
    I am done here Lee. I am guessing you are a hypercalvinist. I don't have any desire to keep arguing this with you.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am done here Lee. I am guessing you are a hypercalvinist. I don't have any desire to keep arguing this with you.
    Blessing to you then and best wishes,

Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian ( reformed )
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    From what I have read, Lees' ( or Pipers for that matter ) view is not representing a hyper Calvinist view......but simply.... classic Calvinism.
    “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

5. Amen alaskazimm, lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentient 6 View Post
    From what I have read, Lees' ( or Pipers for that matter ) view is not representing a hyper Calvinist view......but simply.... classic Calvinism.
    The more I read about Calvinism (both pro and con), the more pernicious it seems. The gospel message more or less assumes free will. "What must we do to be saved?" "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." Without a choice, that is utterly meaningless.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Littlejoe amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The more I read about Calvinism (both pro and con), the more pernicious it seems. The gospel message more or less assumes free will. "What must we do to be saved?" "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." Without a choice, that is utterly meaningless.
    Unless faith has a cause!

"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

"... he greatly helped those who had believed through grace..." (Acts 18:27)

"A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." (Acts 16:14)

I believe that believers can freely choose, but until we are given life by the Spirit, we are dead in transgressions and sins, and slaves to sin (John 8:34).

Blessings,
    Lee

9. Amen Sentient 6 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian ( reformed )
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Calvinism doesn't deny that sinners have a free will. Mankind freely rebel against God and freely love their sin more than God. That's what they choose of their own will. They freely reject the Gospel message when they hear it. That's what they desire to do. That is what is in their heart.

Btw, sometimes I don't care for the tag " Calvinism " because it implies the theology is more recent than what it is. This debate is as old as Pelagian disagreeing with Augustine praying " God command what thou will, and grant what thou commands. "
    “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

Faith
    Catholic XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    "If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble?
    If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it?" (Amos 3:6)

The first statement is a general question, and so in context, the second statement would be general too.

How about this verse?

"I am the Lord, and there is no other,
    The One forming light and creating darkness,
    Causing well-being and creating calamity;
    I am the Lord who does all these." (Isaiah 45:6–7)

Two general statements, to make the point clear.

And I think people say God allows calamity as in he doesn't ever create calamity, so I think I can take your point of view here and still disprove the statement that God does not do any such thing.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Since God is “always” at work, even in events one thinks of as bad, it makes sense to say something that goes beyond saying that God “allows” evil.
    Besides, since God is Holy, how can God be - for a lack of a better word - defiled, by being at work in what we call evil ? To put it another way: if God is not at work in (say) a disaster or a sin (though in a way that does not compromise God’s character) how can God turn that disaster or sin to good ? As often, the cardinal instance of exactly this, is the Crucifixion, a (great) sin which God holily and graciously turned to (a far greater) good.

STM God can, and does, act “pro-actively” “within” evil, with no compromising of His Holiness or Goodness. And that this in no way implies that God is the Author of evil. Far from it. *Because* God is Good & Holy, it is unthinkable & impossible that He should be the Author of evil.
    Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 01-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.

12. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    ... if God is not at work in (say) a disaster or a sin (though in a way that does not compromise God’s character) how can God turn that disaster or sin to good ? As often, the cardinal instance of exactly this, is the Crucifixion, a (great) sin which God holily and graciously turned to (a far greater) good.
    Well said...

Blessings,
    Lee

14. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.