Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Michael Cohen gets 3 years in prison!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Somehow this all reminded me of Erich Honecker, GDR head of state, who made this claim about the Berlin Wall: "The Wall will be standing in 50 and even in 100 years, if the reasons for it are not removed." He made the claim in January 19, 1989. Anyone remember what happened later that year? But then again, let's not assume that people shouting: "Build that wall!" learned way too much from history.
    I'm not sure what your point is. If the point is that a wall can eventually go down... well, okay, but by that logic why bother to build anything ever? It could eventually go away, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      I'm not sure what your point is. If the point is that a wall can eventually go down... well, okay, but by that logic why bother to build anything ever? It could eventually go away, after all.
      Not to mention the fact that while the Berlin Wall stood, it served as an extremely effective barrier between East and West Germany.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Not to mention the fact that while the Berlin Wall stood, it served as an extremely effective barrier between East and West Germany.
        It’s difficult to justify the immense expenditure for Trump’s vanity project and monument to racism, of a “great big beautiful wall” that won’t on its own enhance border security. Border security is about much more than physical borders. More effective and far cheaper would be extra trained personnel and technology, plus simple fencing in some areas, unmanned aerial systems, mobile radars, aerostats and unattended ground sensors. This would achieve far more security, when combined, than a $70 billion wall plus tens of millions a year (some estimate 200 million per annum) to maintain.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The Berlin wall was mostly to keep people in, not to keep people out, and the shooting of their citizens to death if they tried to get over was probably a big part of it's effectiveness.
          Last edited by JimL; 12-18-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            The Berlin wall was mostly to keep people in, not to keep people out, and the shooting of their citizens to death if they tried to get over was probably a big part of it's effectiveness.
            No...

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/places/berlin_wall

During the early years of the Cold War, West Berlin was a geographical loophole through which thousands of East Germans fled to the democratic West. In response, the Communist East German authorities built a wall that totally encircled West Berlin.

© Copyright Original Source

It was built to keep people out of West Berlin, not keep people in West Berlin.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              It’s difficult to justify the immense expenditure for Trump’s vanity project and monument to racism, of a “great big beautiful wall” that won’t on its own enhance border security. Border security is about much more than physical borders. More effective and far cheaper would be extra trained personnel and technology, plus simple fencing in some areas, unmanned aerial systems, mobile radars, aerostats and unattended ground sensors. This would achieve far more security, when combined, than a $70 billion wall plus tens of millions a year (some estimate 200 million per annum) to maintain.
              You don't know squat. Walls work, especially as part of an overall package of things you lefties want nothing to do with.

Source: http://hir.harvard.edu/article/?a=14542

Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the number of border walls between nations has more than quadrupled. According to Elisabeth Valet, a researcher at the University of Quebec, there are more than 65 walls currently standing or under construction. Unlike the Berlin Wall, which was meant to keep people in, most of these walls were built to keep people out by deterring illegal immigration, stopping the flow of contraband, or protecting citizens from crimes. While many were shocked by US President Donald Trump’s plans to build a border wall, a wall is by no means uncommon among both developing and developed nations. Countries such as Hungary, Britain, Bulgaria, Norway, Turkey, and Myanmar have all built walls on their borders...

Other than the mistake of the purpose of the Berlin Wall, the above quote wipes your claim out. Walls have NOTHING to do with racism or vanity and everything to do with securing a sovereign nation, again, which you lefties have no interest in. All you care about is having a wave of ready-made Democrat voters dependent on the government dime for welfare and shelter from deportation.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                No...

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/places/berlin_wall

During the early years of the Cold War, West Berlin was a geographical loophole through which thousands of East Germans fled to the democratic West. In response, the Communist East German authorities built a wall that totally encircled West Berlin.

It was built to keep people out of West Berlin, not keep people in West Berlin.
                You'd better re-read your source. The Communist East Germans built the wall, according to your own source, in order to keep East Germans from fleeing to the west.

Comment

You don't know squat. Walls work, especially as part of an overall package of things you lefties want nothing to do with.

Source: http://hir.harvard.edu/article/?a=14542

Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the number of border walls between nations has more than quadrupled. According to Elisabeth Valet, a researcher at the University of Quebec, there are more than 65 walls currently standing or under construction. Unlike the Berlin Wall, which was meant to keep people in, most of these walls were built to keep people out by deterring illegal immigration, stopping the flow of contraband, or protecting citizens from crimes. While many were shocked by US President Donald Trump’s plans to build a border wall, a wall is by no means uncommon among both developing and developed nations. Countries such as Hungary, Britain, Bulgaria, Norway, Turkey, and Myanmar have all built walls on their borders...

Other than the mistake of the purpose of the Berlin Wall, the above quote wipes your claim out. Walls have NOTHING to do with racism or vanity and everything to do with securing a sovereign nation, again, which you lefties have no interest in. All you care about is having a wave of ready-made Democrat voters dependent on the government dime for welfare and shelter from deportation.
                  Wouldn't it be nice if only Mexico would paid for the wall?

Comment

The Communist East Germans built the wall, according to your own source, in order to keep East Germans from fleeing to the west.
                    Correct. The west, in this case, being West Berlin. The wall was built to keep people OUT of West Berlin.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You'd better re-read your source. The Communist East Germans built the wall, according to your own source, in order to keep East Germans from fleeing to the west.
                      Exactly right. They were kept OUT of West Berlin, as the wall was built all around West. In order to keep them IN, it would have to have been built around the EAST.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if only Mexico would paid for the wall?
                        Yeah, that'd be nice, but it isn't necessary. Walls still work, no matter who foots the bill.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Correct. The west, in this case, being West Berlin. The wall was built to keep people OUT of West Berlin.
                          No, it was to keep East Berlin people from fleeing Communist E. Berlin. But nice try! The E. Germans didn't care what their ultimate destination was, whether W. Berlin or Timbuktu, they just wanted them to stay in E. Berlin.

Comment

No, it was to keep East Berlin people from fleeing Communist E. Berlin. But nice try! The E. Germans didn't care what their ultimate destination was, whether W. Berlin or Timbuktu, they just wanted them to stay in E. Berlin.
                            That's totally false. They could leave E. Berlin and travel all over the GDR
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That's totally false. They could leave E. Berlin and travel all over the GDR
                              Ah, the IGB was already closed, barb wired and guarded, leaving Berlin the only way to cross to the west which millions of E. Germans were accessing, hence the Wall.

Comment

Those in West Berlin were not escaping to the communist paradise Jimmy.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment