Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Luke 22:70

70 They all asked, “Are You, then, the Son of God?”

And He said to them, “You say that I am.”

Mark 14:61: Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Matthew 26: Then the high priest said to Him, “By the living God I place You under oath: tell us if You are the Messiah, the Son of God!”

64 “You have said it, Jesus told him.

Mark is a definite affirmative response, but Luke 22 and Matthew 26 don't appear to be positive affirmative responses.

Is there anything in Greek that explains this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Christian3; 12-12-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    70 They all asked, “Are You, then, the Son of God?”

And He said to them, “You say that I am.”

Mark 14:61: Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Matthew 26: Then the high priest said to Him, “By the living God I place You under oath: tell us if You are the Messiah, the Son of God!”

64 “You have said it, Jesus told him.

Mark is a definite affirmative response, but Luke 22 and Matthew 26 don't appear to be a positive affirmative response.

Is there anything in Greek that explains this?

Thanks.
    As far as I recall, in Greek (unlike English), such constructions are an implied affirmation.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    As far as I recall, in Greek (unlike English), such constructions are an implied affirmation.
    Would you please expound on that a bit?

How is it an implied affirmation?

NET Bible says: Jesus’ reply, “You say that I am,” was not a denial, but a way of giving a qualified positive response: “You have said it, but I do not quite mean what you think.”

Thanks.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In the case of Mark 14, there is at least the outside chance that Mark chose his wording to show Christ making a claim of deity, esp. since he places "I am" in the immediate proximity to "right hand of power," "clouds of heaven," etc. Some translations actually capitalize the "I AM."

Edit -- The ISV for one seems to go out of its way to emphasize "I AM." Even in Luke 22, they strain the translation a bit to get "You said it, I AM."

Edit -- Actually, that may not be a stretch. Green's Literal has "You say it, because I AM!" The word "that" in the NET can mean, per Strong and other lexicons, "because."
    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 12-13-2018 at 05:17 AM.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In the Tyndale commentary on Luke, we have the description
    His reply means something like, "That is your word, not mine. I would not have put it like hat, but since your have, I cannot deny it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We can note here Matthew's account of Jesus' answer to Judas' question, and similarly in Luke 23:3:

And Judas, who was betraying Him, said, “Surely it is not I, Rabbi?” Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself.” (Mt 26:25)1

So here it seems to be a solemn way of saying "yes".

Blessings,
    Lee

1. "It" not being in the Greek.
    Last edited by lee_merrill; 12-13-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

7. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Someone else explained it this way:

There was a method of Jewish didactic rhetoric which, instead of expositing assertions of truth, led the listener along a path with clues until the listener realized and pronounced it himself. The rabbi would then say, "You have said it," as in "You have realized the correct conclusion yourself and your declaration is true."

So "you have said it" represents Jesus's exact words. "I am" was Mark's dynamic equivalence, for Gentiles unfamiliar with this rabbinic didactic.

9. Amen lee_merrill, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.