Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Political Correctness Not Popular...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found that political correctness exists more in the imagination of angry conservatives than it does as a societal policy. I imagine a more true-to-life polling question would be "Do you favor people using racial slurs?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      and the American people cheered when Trump refused to cave in and apologize when the liberals accused him of being politically incorrect.
      "Political Correctness" is just common courtesy. It seems to be only when people claim the right to be non-courteous to those they dislike, e.g. blacks, LGBT's and feminists etc, that it is hand-waved away as PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        I have found that political correctness exists more in the imagination of angry conservatives than it does as a societal policy. I imagine a more true-to-life polling question would be "Do you favor people using racial slurs?"
        That is just silly PM, it is not only about racial slurs and you know that.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No we don't favor people using racial slurs. But liberals do their damnedest to make the silliest things "racial slurs" or offenses. That is where Political Correctness goes off the rails. Like complaining that sandwiches are racist. Or mayonnaise. Or milk. Or Charlie Brown. Or Christmas songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            "Political Correctness" is just common courtesy. It seems to be only when people claim the right to be non-courteous to those they dislike, e.g. blacks, LGBT's and feminists etc, that it is hand-waved away as PC.
            No. PC is about inventing new classes of victims that can demand change or apologies for non-existent offenses.

Comment

No we don't favor people using racial slurs. But liberals do their damnedest to make the silliest things "racial slurs" or offenses. That is where Political Correctness goes off the rails. Like complaining that sandwiches are racist. Or mayonnaise. Or milk. Or Charlie Brown. Or Christmas songs.
              Or gender neutral language or cultural appropriation or trigger words or safe places...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Or gender neutral language or cultural appropriation or trigger words or safe places...
                Or simply anything that someone simply does not like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An article form 2015 about the most PC moments on College campuses.

The 13 Most Ridiculously PC Moments on College Campuses in 2015 1. Hating pumpkin-spice lattes was declared sexist.7. A Harvard study declared that microaggressions can make people die sooner10. The War on Pronouns12. The War on Charity Events

In 2015, political correctness was often considered more important than raising money for charitable causes. For example: At Quinnipiac University, a sorority had to cancel a fundraiser for foster children because one student complained that having (trigger warning!) maracas on the promotional posters was racist. At the University of Kansas, some social-justice activists declared that a sorority hosting a charity event for children with cancer during one of its protests was a microaggression because the activists were more important.
                  https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...campuses-2015/
                  Last edited by Sparko; 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I am an angry gorilla and that makes me angry!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      That is just silly PM, it is not only about racial slurs and you know that.
                      I'm all ears. What else?

Comment

Your world view has been compromised by click-bait and outrage culture.

Sandwich: Comes from conservative news blogs conflating the article writer's heading and a quote from the principal. Fake news.
                        Mayonnaise: Comes from either the original Philadelphia article or the Guardian rebuttal. In either case an individual. Not a story.
                        Milk: Originates from white supremacists and/or PETA. Not coming from liberals.
                        Charlie Brown: From about 20-30 people on Twitter talking about a weird scene out of context. Nowhere near representative.
                        Christmas songs: If Jingle Bells, researcher is correct that origin is racist but says it is not racist now. No controversy, fake news.

You have corroborated my claim that political correctness is imaginary. Thanks!
                        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 12-20-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

No. PC is about inventing new classes of victims that can demand change or apologies for non-existent offenses.
                          You mean "new classes of victims" such as blacks; LGBT's, feminists, i.e. anybody you claim the right to discriminate against without restriction.

Comment

I'm all ears. What else?
                            I already said, gender neutral language or cultural appropriation or microaggressions, safe places and such... Never mind the white privilege nonsense or campus speech codes.

Comment

Your world view has been compromised by click-bait and outrage culture.

Sandwich: Comes from conservative news blogs conflating the article writer's heading and a quote from the principal. Fake news.
                              Mayonnaise: Comes from either the original Philadelphia article or the Guardian rebuttal. In either case an individual. Not a story.
                              Milk: Originates from white supremacists and/or PETA. Not coming from liberals.
                              Charlie Brown: From about 20-30 people on Twitter talking about a weird scene out of context. Nowhere near representative.
                              Christmas songs: If Jingle Bells, researcher is correct that origin is racist but says it is not racist now. No controversy, fake news.

You have corroborated my claim that political correctness is imaginary. Thanks!
                              PC IS about "outrage culture" PM. that's our point.

And all those stories and more show it to be so. You have morons and idiots who are just looking for something to be offended by so they can be the "hero" in protecting a new class of victim, or in claiming to be the victim themselves and demanding apologies. It usually is one moron trying to top other morons in a contest of who can find the next thing to be offended by.

The Sandwich debacle was not fake news. It was a principal who thought they could gain virtue points by declaring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to be racist.
                              The Milk thing was PETA being stupid as usual and thinking milk was a racist dog whistle.
                              Mayonaisse, yep an individual. These usually are an individual or single group that tries to come up with the next big thing to be offended by. They are hoping to start a trend or get recognition from other liberal jackasses to gain some brownie points or fame.
                              Same for the other examples.

None of it was fake news. They are examples of liberal madness.

Like the idea of using Jazz hands instead of clapping in order not to trigger people. Gah!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                You mean "new classes of victims" such as blacks; LGBT's, feminists, i.e. anybody you claim the right to discriminate against without restriction.
                                No I mean trying to claim someone would be offended by a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Or a Christmas carol. Or be triggered by someone clapping too loudly.

Comment