Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Jesus preach or proclaim the doctrine of the Trinity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    Trinity by definition teaches that Father, the Son, The Holy Spirit are co-equal.
    Where did you get the idea that this teaching can be found in the Bible? Come to that, the teaching isn't even part of the apostles' creed.
    Last edited by tabibito; 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There should be clarifications here.

Matthew 24:36 says "of that day and hour no one knows ... but ONLY THE FATHER" therefore, neither the Holy Spirit nor the Son knows the hour and everything.

Trinity by definition teaches that Father, the Son, The Holy Spirit are co-equal. If so, the Holy Spirit should have known the hour but did not know it since it is limited to "ONLY THE FATHER" as per Jesus own words in Matthew 24:36.
      Do you even read what other people write or just repeat yourself?

Your comments show a lack of understanding of the Trinity. The Trinity states that there is ONE God, revealed in 3 distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They are each 100% God but the Father is not the Son or Holy Spirit. He is a distinct person, which means he can have knowledge that the others do not. Since the Father is 100% God, it still means that God knows the hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Where did you get the idea that this teaching can be found in the Bible? Come to that, the teaching isn't even part of the apostles' creed.

If the Holy Spirit is God, then "God" the Holy Spirit must know everything according 1 John 3:20. However, Jesus limited the knowledge of that hour and day to "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 and hence the Holy Spirit cannot be God if such knowledge is limited to "ONLY THE FATHER" as per Jesus own words in Matthew 24:36.

Comment

If the Holy Spirit is God, then "God" the Holy Spirit must know everything according 1 John 3:20. However, Jesus limited the knowledge of that hour and day to "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 and hence the Holy Spirit cannot be God if such knowledge is limited to "ONLY THE FATHER" as per Jesus own words in Matthew 24:36.
          This passage can be properly understood if you know the context behind the scripted response "only (the/my) father knows", which was something the groom typically responded with if someone asked him when he would return to take his bride to the place that he had prepared for her in his father's house:

Source: Unlocking the Secrets of the Feasts: The Prophecies in the Feasts of Leviticus; Michael Norten

When a Jewish lad would propose marriage to a prospective bride, he would offer her a cup of wine. If she drank it, she was accepting the betrothal. He would then inform her that he was to go to his father's house to prepare a place for her. She would typically respond, "When are you coming back?" The prospective groom would reply by saying, "Only my father knows!"

© Copyright Original Source

I don't have the book in my Kindle library, but an excerpt from the first chapter (where the above citation is from) is available at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/unl...ten/1111902791 (scroll down until you see a tab that says read an excerpt.)

This didn't mean that the groom didn't know when He would return for his bride, but simply that he left that decision for his father to make. In the same way, Jesus isn't saying that He or the Holy Spirit doesn't know the hour and day of when he will return, He's simply saying that He and the Spirit has left the decision of when the return will happen up to the Father. Viewed in this light the text doesn't necessarily preclude Jesus and the Spirit from knowing "the hour and day", any more than the phrase "It's raining cats and dogs" implies that cats and dogs are literally falling out of the sky.
          Last edited by JonathanL; 06-06-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            This passage can be properly understood if you know the context behind the scripted response "only (the/my) father knows", which was something the groom typically responded with if someone asked him when he would return to take his bride to the place that he had prepared for her in his father's house:

Source: Unlocking the Secrets of the Feasts: The Prophecies in the Feasts of Leviticus; Michael Norten

When a Jewish lad would propose marriage to a prospective bride, he would offer her a cup of wine. If she drank it, she was accepting the betrothal. He would then inform her that he was to go to his father's house to prepare a place for her. She would typically respond, "When are you coming back?" The prospective groom would reply by saying, "Only my father knows!"

© Copyright Original Source

I don't have the book in my Kindle library, but an excerpt from the first chapter (where the above citation is from) is available at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/unl...ten/1111902791 (scroll down until you see a tab that says read an excerpt.)

This didn't mean that the groom didn't know when He would return for his bride, but simply that he left that decision for his father to make. In the same way, Jesus isn't saying that He or the Holy Spirit doesn't know the hour and day of when he will return, He's simply saying that He and the Spirit has left the decision of when the return will happen up to the Father. Viewed in this light the text doesn't necessarily preclude Jesus and the Spirit from knowing "the hour and day", any more than the phrase "It's raining cats and dogs" implies that cats and dogs are literally falling out of the sky.
            I am quoting the following in relation to the word "only" said by Jesus in Matthew 24:36:

μόνος (monos)
            Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
            Strong's Greek 3441: Only, solitary, desolate. Probably from meno; remaining, i.e. Sole or single; by implication, mere.

https://biblehub.com/parallel/matthew/24-36.htm

Comment

I am quoting the following in relation to the word "only" said by Jesus in Matthew 24:36:

μόνος (monos)
              Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
              Strong's Greek 3441: Only, solitary, desolate. Probably from meno; remaining, i.e. Sole or single; by implication, mere.

https://biblehub.com/parallel/matthew/24-36.htm
              You can quote Strong's Greek definitions at me until the cows come home, unless you actually know enough Koine Greek yourself that you can argue why the context shows that the interpretation I gave above is invalid your objection based on dictionary definitions is worthless.

Comment

You can quote Strong's Greek definitions at me until the cows come home, unless you actually know enough Koine Greek yourself that you can argue why the context shows that the interpretation I gave above is invalid your objection based on dictionary definitions is worthless.
                The Greek word of "only" in Matthew means only as Strong's Greek. Had it meant something else, surely Jesus would not have used "only" in Matthew 24:36.
                Last edited by Same Hakeem; 06-08-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

The Greek word of "only" in Matthew means only as Strong's Greek. Had it meant something else, surely Jesus would not have used "only" in Matthew 24:36.
                  But the word "only" doesn't appear by itself in the text and is part of a larger context. That context is Jesus using imagery of a wedding to explain how it would be when He returned, and a specific phrase "Only the/my Father knows", which was a set phrase that was meant to signify that the groom had left the decision for when he would return to get his bride to his Father. By itself it did not necessarily mean that the son/groom didn't know the exact time that the father had decided.

Comment

But the word "only" doesn't appear by itself in the text and is part of a larger context. That context is Jesus using imagery of a wedding to explain how it would be when He returned, and a specific phrase "Only the/my Father knows", which was a set phrase that was meant to signify that the groom had left the decision for when he would return to get his bride to his Father. By itself it did not necessarily mean that the son/groom didn't know the exact time that the father had decided.
                    So far, I am using "ONLY THE FATHER" uttered by Jesus in Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32 to show the Holy Spirit is not God.

Comment

So far, I am using "ONLY THE FATHER" uttered by Jesus in Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32 to show the Holy Spirit is not God.
                      So far, you are using your interpretation of the significance of a single verse to negate everything the Bible has to say about the identity of the Holy Spirit and God.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So far, you are using your interpretation of the significance of a single verse to negate everything the Bible has to say about the identity of the Holy Spirit and God.
                        There are many.

We agree that "the Messiah sits at the right hand of God" as in Colossians 3:1 and there is ONE GOD, so Jesus cannot be God because if Jesus is God in this instance, there must be more than one God if "God" Jesus sits at the right hand of God.

Colossians 3:1 New King James Version (NKJV)
                        Not Carnality but Christ
                        3 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.

1 Corinthians 8:4 New King James Version (NKJV)
                        4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.
                        Last edited by Same Hakeem; 06-09-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

There are many.

We agree that "the Messiah sits at the right hand of God" as in Colossians 3:1 and there is ONE GOD, so Jesus cannot be God because if Jesus is God, there must be more than one God if "God" Jesus sits at the right hand of God.

Colossians 3:1 New King James Version (NKJV)
                          Not Carnality but Christ
                          3 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.

1 Corinthians 8:4 New King James Version (NKJV)
                          4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.
                          The concept of the trinity has already been explained to you.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The concept of the trinity has already been explained to you.
                            Thanks but not scriptures-based-doctrine.

I admire your politeness and patience. I pray many are like you in this forum.

God bless you

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem
                              Thanks but not scriptures-based-doctrine.
                              The scriptures both declare that God is triune, and show how that condition has its outworking. Some elements of the conventional doctrine cannot be supported by scripture - that is true. But the fact of the trinity is more than adequately demonstrated by scripture.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The scriptures both declare that God is triune, and show how that condition has its outworking. Some elements of the conventional doctrine cannot be supported by scripture - that is true. But the fact of the trinity is more than adequately demonstrated by scripture.
                                Your statement, "The scriptures both declare that God is triune" is completely unsupported and refuted by scriptures. For example, Jesus prayed to the Father in John 17:1-3 and called the Father "THE ONLY TRUE GOD"

John 17:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)
                                Jesus Prays for Himself
                                17 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, 2 as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He [a]should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X