Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Jesus preach or proclaim the doctrine of the Trinity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jesus preach or proclaim the doctrine of the Trinity?

If yes, tell me where citing verses.

Thanks.

Not specifically, but he does claim equality and oneness with God. And there are verses in the OT that talk about the Messiah being God.

Jesus uses the name I AM for himself:

John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

He claims to be the Judge of all mankind:

Matthew 25:31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

John 5: 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him

He accepted worship:

Matthew 2:11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.

Matthew 14:33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Matthew 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.

Luke 24:51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. 52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.

John 9:37 Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you." 38 Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him

Hebrews 1:6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

Only God is to be worshiped: Exodus 34:14 Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Not specifically, but he does claim equality and oneness with God. And there are verses in the OT that talk about the Messiah being God.

Jesus uses the name I AM for himself:

John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

He claims to be the Judge of all mankind:

Matthew 25:31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

John 5: 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him

He accepted worship:

Matthew 2:11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.

Matthew 14:33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Matthew 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.

Luke 24:51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. 52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.

John 9:37 Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you." 38 Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him

Hebrews 1:6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

Only God is to be worshiped: Exodus 34:14 Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
      And don't forget John 16:7
      But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper (parakletos - aka Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Daniel 7. He claims to be the son of man figure. That is a divine claim.
        sigpic

Comment

How about John 17:5?

Now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence
          with that glory I had with You
          before the world existed.

Isn't Jesus saying He is eternal -- the eternal word of God made flesh?

Comment

How about John 3:13?

No one has ascended into heaven except the One who descended from heaven--the Son of Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
              How about John 3:13?

No one has ascended into heaven except the One who descended from heaven--the Son of Man.
              Here's an important verse for Jesus' claims to deity.

John 8:58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

The I Am being the covenant name for God, or YHWH. It's a pretty explicit claim.

Comment

The Great Commission is a clear statement of the Trinity:

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Mt 28:18–20)

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

The thing about the trinity ( as revealed in the scriptures ) is that it is revealed more in the experiences of Jesus and the Apostles. This includes what jesus taught about the Father, himself, and what the Apostles experienced and knew about God from the Tanakh. Here is a good example of the disciples or witness' practical experience of the Trinity...

Matthew 3:15-17 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”

.....and here is example of the Apostles practical experience of the Triune God as well...

1 Peter 1:1-2 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Salutation

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To the exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen and destined by God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with his blood:

May grace and peace be yours in abundance.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that many people believe in the deity of Christ. But at the same time, they deny the teaching that God is three co-equal and co-eternal " persons " within the one being of God.
                  “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    Daniel 7. He claims to be the son of man figure. That is a divine claim.
                    Yep. And on top of the that, the son of man approaches the Ancient of Days, which shows that these are two different and distinct " persons. "
                    “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

The Baptism of Jesus is Trinitarian:

a. The Father says
                      b. ”This is My Beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased”
                      c. And the Spirit “descends” upon the Son

a-c:
                      St Matthew 3.17
                      St Mark 1.11
                      St Luke 3.22
                      cf. St John 1.29-34
                      2 Peter 1.17

cf. The Transfiguration:

St Matthew 17.5
                      St Mark 9.7
                      St Luke 9.35
                      2 Peter 1.18

STM that Jesus reveals the Trinity by His Life & Works, and by how He is presented in the Gospels; rather than by explicitly preaching the doctrine Himself.
                      Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 01-08-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

If yes, tell me where citing verses.

Thanks.
                        The method is typically to argue from various portions of scripture that the Lord Jesus, the Son of God, is either explicitly identified as divine and/or shares attributes that properly belong to deity and not created beings. Evangelicals also usually argue in a similar manner regarding the Holy Spirit. However, as the personhood of Jesus is not in dispute, demonstrating the personality of the Spirit is of importance, for some persons and sects maintain that the Holy Spirit is not a person, but a force (i.e. the power of God). It is possible, therefore, that one might stop short of the Trinitarian belief and instead subscribe to a Binitarian concept, whereby the full deity and personhood of the Father and the Son are maintained whilst the personality of the Holy Spirit is denied. (Of course, the deity of the Father is abundantly and unambiguously affirmed in the New Testament documents.) From a scriptural vantage point, the doctrine of the Trinity relies primarily upon deductive reasoning.
                        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                          The method is typically to argue from various portions of scripture that the Lord Jesus, the Son of God, is either explicitly identified as divine and/or shares attributes that properly belong to deity and not created beings. Evangelicals also usually argue in a similar manner regarding the Holy Spirit. However, as the personhood of Jesus is not in dispute, demonstrating the personality of the Spirit is of importance, for some persons and sects maintain that the Holy Spirit is not a person, but a force (i.e. the power of God). It is possible, therefore, that one might stop short of the Trinitarian belief and instead subscribe to a Binitarian concept, whereby the full deity and personhood of the Father and the Son are maintained whilst the personality of the Holy Spirit is denied. (Of course, the deity of the Father is abundantly and unambiguously affirmed in the New Testament documents.) From a scriptural vantage point, the doctrine of the Trinity relies primarily upon deductive reasoning.
                          Inasmuch that the Holy Spirit is also identified as God in the New Testament, it is not entirely a matter of deductive reasoning. Reconciling the declaration that there is but one God with three existence of three individuals does involve deductive reasoning. The deity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and subordinationism is supported by majority consensus through the first two centuries.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Jesus Christ did not preach trinity because as follows;

1. Trinity asserts the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God not three Gods but one God.
                            2. Jesus made it clear that the Holy Spirit will not speak from himself and what he will hear will according to John 16:13, which says "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Given the above, the Holy Spirit cannot be God because God speaks from himself as opposed to what Jesus said in John 16:13 that Holy Spirit will not speak from himself. Therefore, Jesus did not preach trinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
                              Jesus Christ did not preach trinity because as follows;

1. Trinity asserts the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God not three Gods but one God.
                              2. Jesus made it clear that the Holy Spirit will not speak from himself and what he will hear will according to John 16:13, which says "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Given the above, the Holy Spirit cannot be God because God speaks from himself as opposed to what Jesus said in John 16:13 that Holy Spirit will not speak from himself. Therefore, Jesus did not preach trinity.
                              I have heard many objections to the doctrine of the Trinity but this one is up there among the weirdest. You clearly have no idea what the Trinity teaches if you think John 16:13 disproves the Trinity.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X