Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shutdown Over Border Security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Typical republican mindset.
    Typical liberal idiocy.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No, they didn't. They simply refused to agree to Trumps demands, so he walked away. If he can't get his wall, then that's the way it goes, you don't shut the government down and hurt the country because you can't get your way through the democratic process.
      You have no idea what "compromise" means, do you? The Democrats are also not getting what they want. Why are they shutting the government down and hurting the country? As a reminder, the constitutional process for funding is "congress proposes, the president disposes." Congress needs to provide a funding bill the president, as is his constitutional prerogative, will accept.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Democrat Representative Collin Peterson admits that the only reason Pelosi is digging in her heels is because "Nancy doesn’t want to give [President Trump] a win.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...r-border-wall/
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Maybe the shutdown is God’s punishment for electing Trump.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Maybe the shutdown is God’s punishment for electing Trump.
            Or maybe your presence here is....
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
              Or perhaps Nutsy Pelosi is God's punishment for not supporting our duly elected President.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Assuming that is the case, how soon do you think it should end?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, they didn't. They simply refused to agree to Trumps demands, so he walked away. If he can't get his wall, then that's the way it goes, you don't shut the government down and hurt the country because you can't get your way through the democratic process.
                  AKA Trump needs to do whatever’s they want and act like the typical spineless Republican.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Democrat Representative Collin Peterson admits that the only reason Pelosi is digging in her heels is because "Nancy doesn’t want to give [President Trump] a win.”
                    No, the only reason Trump is digging in his heels, is to pander to his relatively small base. Defacto president Anne Coulter has threatened to withdraw her support if he doesn't. Two thirds of the country don’t want a Trumpian-style wall.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      You have no idea what "compromise" means, do you? The Democrats are also not getting what they want. Why are they shutting the government down and hurting the country? As a reminder, the constitutional process for funding is "congress proposes, the president disposes." Congress needs to provide a funding bill the president, as is his constitutional prerogative, will accept.
                      And the democrats didn't choose to shut down the government over it, Trump did. And no, we have 3 co-equal branches of government, and though it seems you republicans would like it to be so, the President is not the King.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        AKA Trump needs to do whatever’s they want and act like the typical spineless Republican.
                        Nope, but it does mean that he isn't going to get whatever he wants by abusing his power and shutting down the government.

Comment

And the democrats didn't choose to shut down the government over it, Trump did. And no, we have 3 co-equal branches of government, and though it seems you republicans would like it to be so, the President is not the King.
                          That’s rich, coming from a defender of ‘pen and a phone’ Obama.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Nope, but it does mean that he isn't going to get whatever he wants by abusing his power and shutting down the government.
                            So Obama was abusing his power during government shut downs?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              So Obama was abusing his power during government shut downs?
                              No, Obama care was already law, so republicans were defunding existing law in order to try and undermine it. The Wall is not law, it's what is being negotiated.

Comment

No, Obama care was already law, so republicans were defunding existing law in order to try and undermine it. The Wall is not law, it's what is being negotiated.
                                In other words:

Democrats are never wrong and no matter what, Republicans are guilty, no matter what.

Thanks for showing how much of a hack you are. Couldn’t have done it without you. In reality land, nothing Trump is doing is against the law or wrong. You just don’t like it because you’re a robot that says whatever his masters tell him.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment