Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shutdown Over Border Security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Just for the record, I think Trump declaring a national emergency to get his way to pay for a border wall that he promised Mexico was going to pay for, was the wrong move.
    I concur - right from the gitgo. I actually think it would have been better to keep as a campaign issue - and point out the many times democrats were FOR the wall....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      But, in general, I have found that most people here have made-up minds and are immune to any outside ideas, even when they are accompanied by information. ....
      Not ME! I change my mind more often than Sparko changes underwear!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just for the record, I think Trump declaring a national emergency to get his way to pay for a border wall that he promised Mexico was going to pay for, was the wrong move.
        Likewise.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Not ME! I change my mind more often than Sparko changes underwear!
          Given that he hasn't done that for the last decade... you're not saying much...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yeah, I know.

But, seriously, having been on Tweb has caused me to change some ideas and beliefs about Mormons, and about Climate Change. And Orthodoxy. And a number of other issues.

Comment

I concur - right from the gitgo. I actually think it would have been better to keep as a campaign issue - and point out the many times democrats were FOR the wall....
              Oxmix, Tassman and especially JimL... Please take note that CP and I both disagree and have criticized Trump since you guys keep saying we never do. Mark it on your calendar. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

Comment

Look who's talking!

Comment

Yeah, I know.

But, seriously, having been on Tweb has caused me to change some ideas and beliefs about Mormons, and about Climate Change. And Orthodoxy. And a number of other issues.
                  Despite my apparent reputation for NOT changing my mind, I too have changed my views here in several places as a result of arguments made here. When the data supports the position, I try to pay attention. When someone here accuses me of being "close minded," my habit is to take the thread to someone outside of here to validate/refute my thinking. I primarily turn to my wife (strongly liberal) and sister (strongly conservative) and my best friend (a fellow moderate) for that purpose.

Despite what some people have voiced, introspection is actually part of my daily diet.

Comment

But, in general, I have found that most people here have made-up minds and are immune to any outside ideas, even when they are accompanied by information.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Agreed, but not because it will set a precedent that the Democrats will take advantage of in the future since I honestly don't think they need any excuse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Agreed, but not because it will set a precedent that the Democrats will take advantage of in the future since I honestly don't think they need any excuse.
                        Oh no. 3 of us have criticized Trump!!! The world will end promptly if MM does too.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35211[/ATTACH]

(I'm assuming it's some sort of attempt at an insult?)

NVM - "iron-E"?

Guess I was right.

Comment

Oh no. 3 of us have criticized Trump!!! The world will end promptly if MM does too.
                            Speaking of unrelenting Trump Supporters, where's JimL?

Comment

Speaking of unrelenting Trump Supporters, where's JimL?
                              If he starts supporting Trump's decision I am heading for the hills ASAP.

Comment

Obama already set that precedent. According to this article he used the National Emergencies act 12 times while in office, mostly for foreign stuff that didn't even affect the USA.

(has links in the article to the actual declarations and executive orders)

Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic: This was the first public health emergency declared by Obama in his premiere term. This empowered the secretary of Health and Human Services to issues waivers that allowed overcrowded hospitals to move swine flu patients to satellite facilities or other hospitals. This is one of two executive emergencies which were completed by the time Obama left office.
                                Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia: This was intended to help combat Somali pirates. Because Somalian pirates are totally going to cross the US border.
                                Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya: This imposed sanctions of Muammar Gaddafi, his family and Libyan officials after protestors were killed by government forces.
                                Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations: This sanction was levied against four criminal organizations: Los Zetas, the Brothers' Circle, the Yakuza and the Camorra. This included freezing assets, barring ownership of American real estate and implementing travel bans on members or associated persons.
                                Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security or Stability of Yemen: This sanction was intended to counter unrest in Yemen in the aftermath of the Yemeni Revolution.
                                Blocking Property of the Government of the Russian Federation Relating to the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium Extracted From Nuclear Weapons: Imposed sanctions on Russia over the disposal of highly enriched uranium. This is the second of Obama's sanctions to not survive past his presidency.
                                Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine: Imposed sanctions, including restricting visas, in concert with the European Union and the international community against Russia after its invasion and occupation of Crimea.
                                Blocking Property of Certain Persons with Respect to South Sudan: This action enabled economic sanctions to be placed due to the civil war in South Sudan.
                                Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic: This imposed sanctions against former Central African Republic president François Bozizé. This followed similar actions from the United Nations Security Council. Also contains provisions against the use of child soldiers.
                                Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela: Imposed sanctions on seven high-ranking Venezuelan government officials.
                                Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities: Intended to allow sanctions to be levied on foreign individuals determined by the Department of the Treasury to have engaged in cyber-crime or cyber-terrorism.
                                Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi: Imposed sanctions on four Burundi nationals in the wake of widespread unrest.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/connor...gency-n2541854

Comment