Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shutdown Over Border Security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I take it you didn't bother actually reading your own link? First two paragraphs:

legal
    Are men fathers too?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      He seemed a bit touchy late last week, so I'm giving him a little space.

Other than being a tad busy - I had a marvelous week, CP. I'm not sure what you are referring to.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        I take it you didn't bother actually reading your own link? First two paragraphs:

legal
        right. they can yap all they want but they have no real say because they don't have a womb. And that is just the first article I found. I have read even more volatile bile in the past.

But Star, I am mostly just yanking your chain. I don't really care about you posting your opinion, this is tweb.

You can post your opinion all you want, I find it amusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Actually - I'm usually alert to broad brush statements. I'm noting how many times people speak in these superlative terms - and how corrosive it is to our ability to discuss and exchange ideas. The first step to dismissing people is to label them "other." "Those liberals" "Those conservatives" "Those Republicans" "Those immigrants." As soon as they are not part of our own herd, they can be dismissed, vilified, ridiculed, and even attacked (verbally or physically).

I don't think it helps any of us to approach people that way, so I'm trying to root it out in myself - and I'm pointing it out when I see it. CP has been doing the same for/to me - and I've appreciated his efforts.
          You liberals always have your panties in a bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You liberals always have your panties in a bunch.
            Well thought out response, Sparko. Unfortunately, pretty much what I've come to expect.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Well thought out response, Sparko. Unfortunately, pretty much what I've come to expect.
              You realize he's just yanking your chain, right?
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                shh.

Comment

I try not to read into people's minds. The motivations for his posts are not clear to me.

Comment

I try not to read into people's minds. The motivations for his posts are not clear to me.
                    You could try to be a little more charitable. Do you imagine that Sparko is so slow on the uptake that he's going to post a broad-brush reply to your post impugning broad brushes just because that's what he does? That's what your reply to him implies, fwiw.

I'l also note that his reply comes RIGHT AFTER a post where Sparko tells Starlight that he's yanking his chain. It's not as if Sparko could've made it any more obvious.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Do you imagine that Sparko is so slow on the uptake that he's going to post a broad-brush reply to your post impugning broad brushes just because that's what he does? That's what your reply to him implies, fwiw.
                      My reply to him aligns with what I have observed of Sparko: he digs in and doubles down on any discussion with no acknowledgement of an opposing point of view or possibility of error. There are a handful of people here who have that approach to a discussion. I've found, after a few rounds, that I've learned everything I'm going to learn and it's best to just disconnect. I have no clue if Sparko is fast or slow. My response was reflective of this dynamic, nothing more.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I'l also note that his reply comes RIGHT AFTER a post where Sparko tells Starlight that he's yanking his chain. It's not as if Sparko could've made it any more obvious.
                      I engage in several discussions in parallel - so I do not track every exchange in every thread I participate in. Often, if I am quickly checking in between projects, I search for the last post I made in a thread (searching on carpe) and then hop backwards to any replies using the same search function. As a consequence, I do not see every post made by every poster. When I am relaxing and have more time, I read more. I did not see Sparko's post to Starlight because I was searching quickly today, and the post did not contain my handle.

Comment

My reply to him aligns with what I have observed of Sparko: he digs in and doubles down on any discussion with no acknowledgement of an opposing point of view or possibility of error. There are a handful of people here who have that approach to a discussion. I've found, after a few rounds, that I've learned everything I'm going to learn and it's best to just disconnect. I have no clue if Sparko is fast or slow. My response was reflective of this dynamic, nothing more.

I engage in several discussions in parallel - so I do not track every exchange in every thread I participate in. Often, if I am quickly checking in between projects, I search for the last post I made in a thread (searching on carpe) and then hop backwards to any replies using the same search function. As a consequence, I do not see every post made by every poster. When I am relaxing and have more time, I read more. I did not see Sparko's post to Starlight because I was searching quickly today, and the post did not contain my handle.
                        I am a very sarcastic person Carp. I don't take too much on tweb all that seriously. Especially all this political nonsense. I haven't even turned on the TV news in over a month other than what I catch when flipping channels. When you start going off about broad brush this and that all over the place, I can't help myself. OBP knows me too well.

Comment

Interesting. If you'd just take the time to read a little more carefully and not ASSUME what a person is doing, you might find yourself not needing to post so much self-justification. It also might help correct your penchant for jumping back into conversations where you've declared you're finished. Will you listen to advice, attempt more self-justification, or simply blow it off?

I might also note that you rather have a tendency to complain that our observations of YOUR behavior are entirely off base. Do you imagine that you are that much better a judge of others?
                          Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-19-2019, 02:23 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Interesting. If you'd just take the time to read a little more carefully and not ASSUME what a person is doing, you might find yourself not needing to post so much self-justification.
                            Where have you seen me "assuming" what a person is doing, and what have I posted that you are interpreting as "self-justification?"

It also might help correct your penchant for jumping back into conversations where you've declared you're finished.
                            On that I plead guilty, though I have also gotten significantly better. But still by no means perfect.

Will you listen to advice, attempt more self-justification, or simply blow it off?
                            What advice is it you think I should listen to?

I might also note that you rather have a tendency to complain that our observations of YOUR behavior are entirely off base.
                            Historically, yes. Lately, I just delete the personal observations and/or attacks and focus on the arguments being made.

Do you imagine that you are that much better a judge of others?
                            I make no such assumption. I actually work pretty hard (though not always successfully) to limit my comments to the arguments in question. But if you find a place where I have strayed into statements about people's motivations or thoughts, by all means point them out. It is not what I want to be doing. As with CP's pointing out when I stray into "broad brush" statements, I will endeavor to acknowledge them and correct - when that is actually what I am doing.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-19-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

....It is not what I want to be doing. As with CP's pointing out when I stray into "broad brush" statements, I will endeavor to acknowledge them and correct - when that is actually what I am doing.
                              This is about me, isn't it?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where have you seen me "assuming" what a person is doing, and what have I posted that you are interpreting as "self-justification?"
                                Re-read the post to which I responded.
                                What advice is it you think I should listen to?
                                I see you chose option c, by somehow looking past it. Granted, I didn't couch it as "You should do x", but I assume you have at least some level of competency in understanding the English language.
                                I make no such assumption. I actually work pretty hard (though not always successfully) to limit my comments to the arguments in question. But if you find a place where I have strayed into statements about people's motivations or thoughts, by all means point them out. It is not what I want to be doing. As with CP's pointing out when I stray into "broad brush" statements, I will endeavor to acknowledge them and correct - when that is actually what I am doing.
                                Carpe, you ASSUMED that Sparko was doing his "usual dig in and double down".
                                sigpic

Comment