Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shutdown Over Border Security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    An odd characterization - given the behavior of the Congressional Republican delegations in the last two years.

From my perspective - in this era of polarization - both parties are guilty of this behavior.

But I don't make my decisions on the basis of what one party or another says or does. So long as Trump doesn't provide me with a business case for his demand - my vote is "no." (not that anyone is counting my hand - mind you).
    It was meant as a joke

Still Pelosi has made clear she won't authorize even $1 for the wall so money does not seem to be their concern

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It was meant as a joke

Still Pelosi has made clear she won't authorize even $1 for the wall so money does not seem to be their concern
      Well - I cannot read her mind - but I am assuming that "the wall" means the 700-900 miles of additional barrier Trump promised during his campaign. I agree with her. Until someone can demonstrate that this is a good, well-thought-through investment instead of a pithy campaign pledge to rally the base - I don't want to see a penny go in that direction.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Dang... things got real...

Trump's letter to Pelosi today...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34507[/ATTACH]
        https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rea...ghanistan-trip

Burn...
        And now Jim Acosta is having a "Tumper-tantrum" calling the President "childish", as if Pelosi trying to cancel the State of the Union speech wasn't petty!

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...ring-shutdown/
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And now Jim Acosta is having a "Tumper-tantrum" calling the President "childish", as if Pelosi trying to cancel the State of the Union speech wasn't petty!

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...ring-shutdown/
          They're both being pretty childish, IMO. The only valid position I think Pelosi MIGHT try to cling to is not wanting to give her political opponent a venue for his message. Given the ability Trump has to access his own venue - that is a pretty thin position to cling to. The only valid position I think Trump MIGHT cling to is security/cost - but I do not believe the military is impacted by the shutdown. So the two are playing childish tit-for-tat games.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Trump could always just read the SOTU speech from the oval office on live TV and say he is doing so because congress was too scared to attend at the Capitol

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Trump could always just read the SOTU speech from the oval office on live TV and say he is doing so because congress was too scared to attend at the Capitol
              Yep...

Comment

• It gets even better: It seems that Trump waited until they were on the bus headed for the airport before he cancelled the trip.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-foreign-trip/

One Breitbart reader said, "I disagree with the President's decision. He should have cancelled the flight after they landed in Afghanistan."

Comment

• I found this little gem rather amusing - and pretty much spot on for the two children currently spatting in Washington:

If Pelosi's political calculations make her unlikely to take the high road any time soon, Trump's personality doesn't even allow him to see that a high road exists.

Source

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    They're both being pretty childish, IMO. The only valid position I think Pelosi MIGHT try to cling to is not wanting to give her political opponent a venue for his message. Given the ability Trump has to access his own venue - that is a pretty thin position to cling to. The only valid position I think Trump MIGHT cling to is security/cost - but I do not believe the military is impacted by the shutdown. So the two are playing childish tit-for-tat games.
                    The point is that Acosta didn't take Nutsy Pelosi to task for trying to cancel the State of the Union speech; he only crawled out of his hole when Trump hit back.

Comment

• Trump: "I'm canceling your flight."
                      Pelosi: "No problem. I'll take my broom."

Comment

The point is that Acosta didn't take Nutsy Pelosi to task for trying to cancel the State of the Union speech; he only crawled out of his hole when Trump hit back.
                        Seems like a few of those who were praising Pelosi for her decisive tactical move are up in arms about Trump's.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's CNN. What did you expect?

BTW - "tried to cancel" is a false characterization. Pelosi requested a delay (until after the shutdown ends) or that the SOTU be submitted in writing. She apparently didn't want the House of Representatives - now under Democratic control - to be yet another venue for Trump's pontification and self-aggrandizement. She knows that Trump loves the spotlight, the TVs, and the attention. She was also clear that she wanted to send a message about Congress being a co-equal branch of government. So - not exactly a "cancellation."

That being said - I think the entire thing is petty - on both sides. A more skilled politician, responding to Pelosi's childish move, would have acknowledged the right of Congress to issue the invitation, lamented the partisanship shown by the move, and announced that the SOTU would be delivered from the Oval office to the entire nation and then submitted to Congress in writing. Taking the high road makes you look mature. "Hitting back" just makes you look small and petty, IMHBSO.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-17-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Seems like a few of those who were praising Pelosi for her decisive tactical move are up in arms about Trump's.
                            It's like they forgot that Trump fights back.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34491[/ATTACH]
                              Most bad people, drugs etc enter US through legal ports of entry, not via a vast, open border. And Pelosi has long said that “We have always stood ready to discuss comprehensive immigration reform and, of course, the Dreamers.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...d-wall-funding

The resistance is from Trump and his base.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Most bad people, drugs etc enter US through legal ports of entry, not via a vast, open border. And Pelosi has long said that “We have always stood ready to discuss comprehensive immigration reform and, of course, the Dreamers.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...d-wall-funding

The resistance is from Trump and his base.
                                "Comprehensive immigration reform" includes a wall. That is why an overwhelming percentage of those who patrol the border support it.

Comment