Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justice Ginsburg: Cancer Surgery This Morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Axelrod, Senior Advisor to Obama and later his Senior Strategist for Obama's re-election campaign had this up in less than hour after it was announced that Ginsburg was again being treated for pancreatic cancer:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I have no doubt it was her plan to retire when Hillary become president. Now it seems she's refusing to retire purely out of spite for Trump. But honestly, the woman has no business making judicial decisions. Anybody who has watched any of her interviews from the past couple of years knows that the woman is barely coherent and can't even speak a whole sentence without causing one to wonder if she's nodded off between words. She makes a good case for scenarios that should trigger the mandatory retirement of Supreme Court justices.
      https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...h-orig-llr.cnn
      https://www.pbs.org/video/justice-ru...sation-jzwgyq/
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEf3CRPlcw

Quick search and I found these interviews from 2019, two of them almost an hour long. She is clearly an older woman who is physically increasingly limited. I have found (so far) nothing in here that suggests there is anything wrong with her mind or her wit.

I invite people to watch the videos and form their own conclusion.

ETA: note, I have not watched both long interviews in their entirety - simply randomly jumped into them to listen to her for several minutes at several points and found zero evidence of mental impairment. I'll be watching the rest this evening and will add to this post if I find anything different.
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 08-24-2019, 09:37 AM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I haven't watched those yet, but I have seen interviews where she's asked a question and will sit staring at the floor just long enough for you to think, "Did she fall asleep?" and then she'll croak out an answer that is barely comprehensible. Maybe she was just having a bad day?

I mean, this is the same woman who couldn't even stay awake through a State of the Union speech and then later excused it by implying that she was drunk!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ate-Union.html
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I haven't watched those yet, but I have seen interviews where she's asked a question and will sit staring at the floor just long enough for you to think, "Did she fall asleep?" and then she'll croak out an answer that is barely comprehensible. Maybe she was just having a bad day?

I mean, this is the same woman who couldn't even stay awake through a State of the Union speech and then later excused it by implying that she was drunk!

Actually - what she said was that she had some wine before the session, and it made her sleepy. Wow, MM, way to use hyperbole to paint someone in a bad light. Frankly, if I had a couple of glasses of wine and then had to listen to a boring speech, I'd nod off too.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I haven't watched those yet, but I have seen interviews where she's asked a question and will sit staring at the floor just long enough for you to think, "Did she fall asleep?" and then she'll croak out an answer that is barely comprehensible. Maybe she was just having a bad day?

Being physically exhausted doesn't mean her mind isn't still sharp.

I don't plan on watching the videos carpe linked to but would be interested if there are any apparent edits in them where she may have been given a chance to rest.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              David Axelrod, Senior Advisor to Obama and later his Senior Strategist for Obama's re-election campaign had this up in less than hour after it was announced that Ginsburg was again being treated for pancreatic cancer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39295[/ATTACH]
              McConnell has one metric: win at any cost. Nothing else matters, as his political history shows, and as he has pretty much said on multiple occasions. Putting another justice on SCOTUS is a "win" for him, so consistency, honesty, and integrity are unnecessary. And most on the right will be so happy to get another justice on SCOTUS and swing the court strongly right for the next several decades, they will likely find any excuse they can to justify it (as we've already seen happening here) and take the win.

As we've seen in the age of Trump - moral principles can be ejected if it means winning and "getting what I want."

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                McConnell has one metric: win at any cost. Nothing else matters, as his political history shows, and as he has pretty much said on multiple occasions. Putting another justice on SCOTUS is a "win" for him, so consistency, honesty, and integrity are unnecessary. And most on the right will be so happy to get another justice on SCOTUS and swing the court strongly right for the next several decades, they will likely find any excuse they can to justify it (as we've already seen happening here) and take the win.

As we've seen in the age of Trump - moral principles can be ejected if it means winning and "getting what I want."
                Politics ain't bean bag Carp, and it seems that consistency, honesty, and integrity are in short supply on both sides. And this did not start with with Trump, remember how the Dems lied through their teeth to foist Obama care on us and remember it was the Dems who first used the nuclear option to pack the lower courts.
                Last edited by seer; 08-24-2019, 10:17 AM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Politics ain't bean bag Carp, and it seems that consistency, honesty, and integrity are in short supply on both sides. And this did not start with with Trump, remember how the Dems lied through their teeth to foist Obama care on us and remember it was the Dems who first used the nuclear option to pack the lower courts.
                  That's different of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Politics ain't bean bag Carp, and it seems that consistency, honesty, and integrity are in short supply on both sides.
                    They can be...and it shouldn't be tolerated or applauded on either side.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    And this did not start with with Trump, remember how the Dems lied through their teeth to foist Obama care on us and remember it was the Dems who first used the nuclear option to pack the lower courts.
                    So - "lied through their teeth" is a stretch. Was their exaggeration? Absolutely. Were there outright lies? Yeah - a few of them. But I have never seen the kind of lying from our leaders that we are seeing today, not at any point in my lifetime. And the vast bulk of the lies are coming from the current occupant of the White House - who has openly acknowledged he will lie if it will get him a "win." And he is being defended in his lying by an entire party. Indeed, if there is one "good" that seems to be coming from Trump, it is that there is such a visceral response to his immorality - and such a desire on the left to distance from him - that there is a significant shift towards truth-telling and vetting one's claims before opening one's mouth from the left. It is by no means perfect, but it is pronounced.

As for the "nuclear option" and "packing the lower courts," the Dems did indeed make this choice - much as I deplored it. I deplored it for the reasons we are seeing now: it set a precedent to abandon more and more of the conventions that made the Senate deliberative and more likely to move towards compromise. Unfortunately, we live in an age where compromise has become a dirty word. Since the age of Gingrich and "my political opponent is my enemy" and the loss of the notion of "the loyal opposition," Congress has been increasingly polarized. The very conventions that encouraged compromise became obstacles to making much of any progress whatsoever because compromise would result in being primaried by ones own party. Now the Dems are doing it too.

Regrettably, it means that the only avenue towards advancing issues is now to dispense with all of these "let's compromise" conventions and pit one party against the other in a "who ever wins gets to call the shots. Since I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative, and the Democrats are the social liberals and neither party is a fiscal conservative anymore, it means I will likely vote with the Dems more often than not, and hope for their success. If the Reps ever denounce Trump and reject his style of leadership, I may find myself supporting more of them again. I frankly don't see that happening any time soon. I suspect the GOP of old is pretty much dead - taken over by more and more Trump-like proteges who will continue his legacy into the indefinite future. It's too bad. I am fairly sure that will all be ensure that the GOP will become a has-been and the Dems will be in control for the foreseeable future. The Senate may be the exception due to its make-up, but that could change if DC and PR are admitted as states - so who knows.

Comment

Actually - what she said was that she had some wine before the session, and it made her sleepy. Wow, MM, way to use hyperbole to paint someone in a bad light. Frankly, if I had a couple of glasses of wine and then had to listen to a boring speech, I'd nod off too.
                      She said she wasn't sober, so it was obviously more than just a glass or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Being physically exhausted doesn't mean her mind isn't still sharp.

I don't plan on watching the videos carpe linked to but would be interested if there are any apparent edits in them where she may have been given a chance to rest.
                        Edits in a three camera sit-down interview are pretty much impossible to spot.

Comment

She said she wasn't sober, so it was obviously more than just a glass or two.
                          Her exact statement was "I was not 100% sober". If you take a sip of wine, you are not "100% sober" anymore. If you drink an entire bottle, you are not 100% sober anymore. I am finding no information about how much she actually drank, and no indication that she was "drunk." She's an elderly woman, had a dinner with wine before a boring speech and fell asleep (which she does at SOTU on more than one occasion). Your attempts to paint her as a drunk are nothing more than "personal wish fulfillment" to paint a political adversary in the worst possible light. The fact is, as with so many things - we don't know how much wine she drank. We only know that she blamed falling asleep on having wine with dinner.

Really, MM - you should be above such ridiculousness. Little wonder that the political ramblings of so many on the right are increasingly ignored. It's borderline conspiracy theory stuff.

Comment

Edits in a three camera sit-down interview are pretty much impossible to spot.
                            But I'm sure we can infer from changes from one camera angle to another that she needs a 50 minute nap every two minutes or so...

After all, you don't seem hesitant to make other assumptive leaps - why not make that one too!

Comment

Her exact statement was "I was not 100% sober".
                              Right... she couldn't even sit through a speech that none of her colleagues had trouble sitting through. That's pretty darn "not 100% sober", wouldn't you say?

Let's put it this way: your kid comes to you and says, "Dad, I was the one who broke the window." You say, "But you told me your brother did it." Your son shrugs dismissively and says, "I wasn't 100% honest." Tell me, what is your son really saying: 1) He was being somewhat honest; or 2) He wasn't being honest at all?

Comment

They can be...and it shouldn't be tolerated or applauded on either side.
                                Then why call out McConnell?

So - "lied through their teeth" is a stretch. Was their exaggeration? Absolutely. Were there outright lies? Yeah - a few of them. But I have never seen the kind of lying from our leaders that we are seeing today, not at any point in my lifetime. And the vast bulk of the lies are coming from the current occupant of the White House - who has openly acknowledged he will lie if it will get him a "win." And he is being defended in his lying by an entire party. Indeed, if there is one "good" that seems to be coming from Trump, it is that there is such a visceral response to his immorality - and such a desire on the left to distance from him - that there is a significant shift towards truth-telling and vetting one's claims before opening one's mouth from the left. It is by no means perfect, but it is pronounced.
                                Nice rant, but you said:"As we've seen in the age of Trump - moral principles can be ejected if it means winning and "getting what I want."

That has been happening since I have been following politics. And as far as truth telling from the left - that is just delusional.

As for the "nuclear option" and "packing the lower courts," the Dems did indeed make this choice - much as I deplored it. I deplored it for the reasons we are seeing now: it set a precedent to abandon more and more of the conventions that made the Senate deliberative and more likely to move towards compromise. Unfortunately, we live in an age where compromise has become a dirty word. Since the age of Gingrich and "my political opponent is my enemy" and the loss of the notion of "the loyal opposition," Congress has been increasingly polarized. The very conventions that encouraged compromise became obstacles to making much of any progress whatsoever because compromise would result in being primaried by ones own party. Now the Dems are doing it too.
                                Since Gingrich? Gingrich and Clinton compromised on a number of big and important issues and got legislation passed. Look at Bush 2, except for stuff around 911 the Dems stonewalled him at every turn.

Regrettably, it means that the only avenue towards advancing issues is now to dispense with all of these "let's compromise" conventions and pit one party against the other in a "who ever wins gets to call the shots. Since I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative, and the Democrats are the social liberals and neither party is a fiscal conservative anymore, it means I will likely vote with the Dems more often than not, and hope for their success. If the Reps ever denounce Trump and reject his style of leadership, I may find myself supporting more of them again. I frankly don't see that happening any time soon. I suspect the GOP of old is pretty much dead - taken over by more and more Trump-like proteges who will continue his legacy into the indefinite future. It's too bad. I am fairly sure that will all be ensure that the GOP will become a has-been and the Dems will be in control for the foreseeable future. The Senate may be the exception due to its make-up, but that could change if DC and PR are admitted as states - so who knows.
                                And the Democrat party is increasingly becoming the party of Socialists, of Bernie and AOC. My father must be rolling over, he wouldn't recognize his party today.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment