Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Asimov's Three Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asimov's Three Laws

I don't know why this started rattling around in my head, but...

The only Asimov novel I recall ever reading was Caves of Steel, and that was, like, 40-some years ago.

Something I wondered about then, and don't recall ever seeing explained:

Suppose R. Daneel was trying to arrest some fleeing perp, and the perp said, "No, YOU drop YOUR gun. Then flap your arms while hopping up and down on one foot, and continue until I tell you to stop."

What understanding of the Three Laws precludes that?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
    If he stops pursuit, he is breaking the first law because his inaction will allow the perp to bring other humans to harm. He has to obey humans unless their orders force him to break another law (the first, in this case).

Edit: I just noticed that it actually specifically states that the second law can only be adhered to if such orders do not conflict with only the first law, not the third. But can a human give a robot orders to destroy itself? I can't remember. If not, that would be a case of the robot ignoring #2 if it conflicts with #3... I need to find the books in audiobook format so I can read them at work.

Edit 2: I just checked and my local library has them all available for download. I know what I'm listening to next, after my already-huge playlist of books, lol.
    Last edited by QuantaFille; 12-26-2018, 09:04 PM.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

The police chief can give him orders to ignore orders given to him by any one else

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        If he stops pursuit, he is breaking the first law because his inaction will allow the perp to bring other humans to harm. He has to obey humans unless their orders force him to break another law (the first, in this case).
        Ok, so that would call into question the meaning of "harm." Also the ability of the robot to forecast future events, specifically theoretical possible "harm" to humans, which, if I understand it correctly, gets into "Zeroth Law" territory.

Edit: I just noticed that it actually specifically states that the second law can only be adhered to if such orders do not conflict with only the first law, not the third. But can a human give a robot orders to destroy itself? I can't remember. If not, that would be a case of the robot ignoring #2 if it conflicts with #3... I need to find the books in audiobook format so I can read them at work.
        Yeah, the Laws are hierarchical, with lower numbers taking precedence. Somehow in my mind I had always transposed 2 and 3, but the listings I've found online all put obedience to human commands above self-protection.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The police chief can give him orders to ignore orders given to him by any one else
          Pragmatically that makes sense. But it is not the "plain reading" of the Second Law.

Why could not some "high authority" human concerned about "robot rights" order all robots to reverse the order of the Second and Third Laws?

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Pragmatically that makes sense. But it is not the "plain reading" of the Second Law.

Why could not some "high authority" human concerned about "robot rights" order all robots to reverse the order of the Second and Third Laws?
            there has to be some hierarchical basis to the second law itself otherwise two people could give a robot conflicting orders. And robots are property owned by specific humans and companies. It would make sense that they would obey their owners and ignore the orders of others with less authority when it conflicted with the orders of their owners or their owners' interests or the other two laws. Otherwise you could just steal someone's robot by telling them to come with you and leave their owner.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I don't know why this started rattling around in my head, but...

The only Asimov novel I recall ever reading was Caves of Steel, and that was, like, 40-some years ago.

Something I wondered about then, and don't recall ever seeing explained:

Suppose R. Daneel was trying to arrest some fleeing perp, and the perp said, "No, YOU drop YOUR gun. Then flap your arms while hopping up and down on one foot, and continue until I tell you to stop."

What understanding of the Three Laws precludes that?
              Wouldn't it make sense to read the rest of the books (and re-read that one, since it's been so long) to see if your question is answered?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment